Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where Boardsies Run

Options
  • 09-04-2014 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭

Any ideas on how we can harness all our Garmin data to create a heatmap of where Boardsies run?

Here's an example of a heatmap of where I have run since I started using a Garmin:

Strava Heatmap

Here's an example of a heatmap for US cities.

For starters, we could just ask everyone to post a link to a gpx of their 10 favourite runs in County Dublin. Upload to a new Strava account and away we go?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Don't you need a premium account for a headmap? Who's going to pay? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Cabaal wrote: »
    Don't you need a premium account for a headmap? Who's going to pay? :)

Good point. Didn't realise it was just for premium members. There must be other tools out there that do the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Any ideas on how we can harness all our Garmin data to create a heatmap of where Boardsies run?

Here's an example of a heatmap of where I have run since I started using a Garmin:

Strava Heatmap

Here's an example of a heatmap for US cities.

For starters, we could just ask everyone to post a link to a gpx of their 10 favourite runs in County Dublin. Upload to a new Strava account and away we go?

Slightly off topic but this data is very heavily skewed to actual races. Looking at the NY map I was puzzled by why only the east side of Central Park was heavilly travelled, but little on the west side. Then I realized that I was looking at Garmin records from the Marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

thinly veiled I want to see where yiz all park yizzer bleedin motors so I can clean them out, thread....:D

Appropriately started with a request for info on Dublin locations....

Could be worse, at least you didn't look for locations to walk the dog.:eek:
    [Runs away]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Yeah like I'm gonna give a bunch of internet weirdos, many of whom I regularly insult my exact location at various times of day. Count me out on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

drquirky wrote: »
    Yeah like I'm gonna give a bunch of internet weirdos, many of whom I regularly insult my exact location at various times of day. Count me out on this one.

Similarly I reckon there would be more snipers out for blood with me on my runs than AMK in Manchester :D (too soon?)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Gold medal for Ecoli!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Shuttle666

Strava does have a privacy zone that you can set up to hide your exact base location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

So Strava have a Global Heatmap option. Here's the link to the Dublin area map :)

http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#11/-6.31444/53.33708/blue/run

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Very much linked to social class as to where the heat maps show up, even for a sport as cheap to participate in as going for a run around the block. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

robinph wrote: »
    Very much linked to social class as to where the heat maps show up, even for a sport as cheap to participate in as going for a run around the block. :(

That's because only middle-class softies carry their smartphones or GPS watch with them when they run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

That's because only middle-class softies carry their smartphones or GPS watch with them when they run.

If you cross reference with Garda car emissions you should be able to add us Tallaght/Sisters Pearse folks :D

Advertisement