Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

blocking websites help please

Options
  • 03-02-2014 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

hi guys, im working in an office of about 40 ish pc's, they are connected to eircom broadband via a switch in the coms room.
    what i want to know is can i block websites like facebook etc by using the eircom router page 192. etc or do i have to do something else to do it

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Without spending any additional money, yes the router is a good place to start for basic blocking. Depending on the make/model, it might give you the option to blacklist sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 johnroake

how do i go about that could u tell me please

If you post the make and model of your router I can probably point you in the right direction.

it is a silver eircom net topia box

Stick this IP address into your browser, login if you need to and read the model number of the page:

http://192.168.1.254

• Advertisement

2247-02
    is that the one

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Is the username/password default? If so, change that straight away!

i has no password to get into router. but it has password to get wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

Opendns is a good (and free) way to do it.
    You just sign up for an account at www.opendns.com.
    Then put the DNS settings into your router (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220)
    If your router doesn't have a static WAN IP address, you need to install OpenDNS Updater on a computer that is always switched on (possibly the server).
    Then you can configure the websites you want blocked on the settings tab at opendns.com
    It's a better way to do it in my opinion because there is also an option to block proxies.
    You're going to need the password for the Netopia box though.

the first thing that opendns asked me when i went on to site was packages and pricing

• Advertisement

johnroake wrote: »
    i has no password to get into router. but it has password to get wifi
    Unless it's locked away, or the ethernet ports are physically blocked by lock and key, assume that someone will hook up their laptop to it and either a) remove their fave website from the block list, or b) funk the router up completely when trying to do "A".

Will check if I've a manual for the 2247NWG when I get home.

http://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/194161/netopia-2200.html?page=232
    Click the "Download Manual" option, and do their silly test (mine was 31+9=?)
    I think page 52 may help you.

the first thing that opendns asked me when i went on to site was packages and pricing

I've been using Opendns for several years and its still free.
    Click on Get it Now and "Consumers", then "OpenDNS Home"

Ok I'll try again in the morning. When on that opendns can I block sites from that. Then anyone connected or using the net through that router can't access them

Ok I'll try again in the morning. When on that opendns can I block sites from that. Then anyone connected or using the net through that router can't access them
    Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

Do you have a Windows server running DNS services on site? If so you can just configure a zone for each domain you want to block.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

You will need to use a dns updater of you do not have a static ip.

You should change the password for the wireless, and for the administration aide of the router. Go to 192.168.1.254, click Expert Mode, Yes and then Configure, Router password and type the new password you wish to set for accessing the router administration site. Then Save and Yes to reboot.

Go back to the administration site using admin as your username and the password you just set. Click Wireless and change the SSID to something more identifiable if you wish, e.g. The name of the business. Then change the password under Pre-Shared Wireless key. Click Save Changes.

Click Configure and then under Domain Name Servers set the ip addresses to the ones specified on the OpenDNS servers. Click Save Changes and Yes to reboot.

Download the OpenDNS updater onto your computer and set it up with your OpenDNS account. You only need to do this if you do not have a static ip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Hi there

In an organisation with 40 pcs is there not an IT budget? Whilst opendns is a good start it is easily bypassed. Users are much more proficient than in the past.

I'd be looking at a professional Web filtering system through a proxy or gateway rather than using dns.

Good luck with it.

Hi there

In an organisation with 40 pcs is there not an IT budget? Whilst opendns is a good start it is easily bypassed. Users are much more proficient than in the past.

I'd be looking at a professional Web filtering system through a proxy or gateway rather than using dns.

Good luck with it.

Yes, but not as easy to work around if the computers are locked down through group policies.

Of course, the likes of Fortinet or Barracuda would be better. If your looking for an open source option look in Squid and Dansguardian/Smoothwall.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Hi,

I've implemented a solution recently based on DELL Sonicwall Content Filtering in a NSA series (TZ series as well).
    It was setup ON for every PC on network and based on time rules:filtered normal business hours,unrestricted at lunch time or after 6PM.
    Alerts sent via email if rules were broken !

Cost wise,depending by end user ! :)

Is "set-it and forget-it".

Have fun...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

I've used a TZ series for this as well, the annual sub is worth the extra features.

I've had bad experiences with Dell Sonicwall... costs an arm and a leg as you have to pay a yearly subscription and I found it didn't work very well as there wasn't even an option to block proxy servers and technical support was non-existant. That was a few years ago so maybe its improved now...
    I switched to (free) OpenDNS as a result of that and have never looked back.

Just make sure you lock down PC's DNS config through a GPO, otherwise it can be avoided.

I use Dyn Internet Guide. It uses Barracuda and is DNS based. Never had a problem, and always well updated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Sonicwall support ... is only for firmware and for parts afaik.
    I never called them for ... setup or configuration issues related.
    Their Enhanced OS is one of the best out there and is a professional product !
    It may have to come with "Do not use it at home" label :)

Right...and if you get a smart arse that knows how to change the DNS locally on the PC...happy day ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

+1 on the Sonicwalls. Very easy to use and not very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

zScaler.

http://www.zscaler.com/cloud-security/zscaler-for-smb.php

Funnel all traffic to the cloud and it acts like a proxy server, filtering out as well as monitoring everything.

Advertisement