Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

5 door hatchback, €4.5K max, sugestions?

Options
  • 06-04-2012 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭

Hi!

The old Fiesta is sadly getting put to rest at the end of the month, so in the mean time I've started browsing for something new. I'm looking at some sort of 5-door petrol hatchback, and my absolute max budget is €4.5K.

So far, I've been looking at Astras in the 2005-06 bracket, same for Focuses (Focusses, Focii?, ah you know what I mean :pac:), I like the look of Golfs and the Seats too, but I think they're a bit overpriced, and I'd be getting an older one than the other two. I'm leaning towards getting something with a 1.6L engine, it seems that the 1.4's are considered to be underpowered in those size cars.

Also, FWIW, I'm leaning towards the Astra over the Focus, I perfer how they look, I guess I'm just writing to ask if anyone has any other suggestions that I may have missed?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭FrontDoor

Hi!

The old Fiesta is sadly getting put to rest at the end of the month, so in the mean time I've started browsing for something new. I'm looking at some sort of 5-door petrol hatchback, and my absolute max budget is €4.5K.

So far, I've been looking at Astras in the 2005-06 bracket, same for Focuses (Focusses, Focii?, ah you know what I mean :pac:), I like the look of Golfs and the Seats too, but I think they're a bit overpriced, and I'd be getting an older one than the other two. I'm leaning towards getting something with a 1.6L engine, it seems that the 1.4's are considered to be underpowered in those size cars.

Also, FWIW, I'm leaning towards the Astra over the Focus, I perfer how they look, I guess I'm just writing to ask if anyone has any other suggestions that I may have missed?

Cheers!
    A five door Nissan Tiida. Standard model was a 1.6 I think. They seem to be dirt cheap relative to VWs, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

FrontDoor wrote: »
    A five door Nissan Tiida. Standard model was a 1.6 I think. They seem to be dirt cheap relative to VWs, etc.

Cheers for the suggestion, had a quick gander there, to be honest I wasn't too impressed with the few ads I found. They're mostly out of my price range, and automatic saloons. Think I'll pass, cheers thougrh! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭ShaneMc2012

Nissan Almera? They would be very reliable and you can get 2005 models for around your budget. For example, this one is a 1.5 petrol and is exactly your budget, Mileage isn't that bad either
    no-image-large.gif&width=400&height=300
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Nissan/Almera/1.5-SXE/200915192461424/advert?channel=CARS

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thanks lads, I'm not mad on the almera, they just look so fates compared to the alternatives.

I remember looking at Mazda 3's actually and liking the look of them, not sure why they slipped my mind, agggh... it just got more complicated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,003 ✭✭✭✭event

event wrote: »
    corolla?

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/Corolla/1.4-TERR/5613312914840350/advert?channel=CARS[/QUOTE]

Corollas of that era are still expensive to buy. €4k is hefty for a 9 year old example. OP is looking at 04/05 cars where there is better value in other brands. A Mazda 3 will probably match the Corolla for reliability too.

It's the higher spec Touring model with air con, etc. It's also automatic, no idea what the Mazda automatic is like. Are you happy to drive an auto?

bazz26 wrote: »
    It's the higher spec Touring model with air con, etc. It's also automatic, no idea what the Mazda automatic is like. Are you happy to drive an auto?

Ah I hadn't noticed that :( I'd rather keep it manual. The search continues!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

I really like the Mazda 3 seem to be the best value.

Another option could be the civic 5 door? I dont really like the way the 5 door looks.

They seem to be very reliable except for a bearing issue in the gearbox but been reading once it fixed once it should be fine as they install upgraded bearings.

Im on the look out for a clean 3 door, none of the 5 doors would have been abused.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Alfa 147 with 1.6 engine? Plenty around and better than the Focus/Golf in my opinion.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2980211

View2-9853053.jpeg

Hey lads, sorry for the bump, but gonna have a gander at this on Monday, http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3338177 anything I should be looking out for? I know its not a hatch, but the saloons look tasty! Also, the ad says 131k miles, that seems pretty high to me? Would it be kilometers and a mistake? The dealer said its got a full service history, so it should be grand. I just wanna see if there's any common issues with the Mazda 3 that I need to look for.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

parents have had same car, same year, from new and no worries at all. good car but i hate driving it, but thats just me.

i would have this http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3311217 over it any day!

Cheers! Just when I thought I'd settled for the Mazda over the astra! Sure I'll test em both. Cheers mate!

What is it you hate about driving your parents car?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

i have the same car, same engine. its pretty nippy, the close gearing on it make it feel much faster throughout the low revs. its pretty economical too, i drive the beans outta mine and i get 31mpg around town. its more economical than the 1,4 astra i had before it. that astra i linked is lovely too with the xp kit, a very expensive factory option! just make sure its not a fibre glass one as they are sh!te. loads of kit and car for the money, if i hadnt invested so much in mine so far and it wasnt silver id switch :D

its just an awkward car to drive. any other car ive hopped into ive no problem but the mazda, even though i drive it regularly, never feels comfortable. the 1.6 in it is dog slow too. but as i said, its a fine car and uber reliable, but then i havent had any problems to mention with my astra either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Good luck with whatever you choose

• Registered Users Posts: 49 scrawnyass

166man wrote: »
    Alfa 147 with 1.6 engine? Plenty around and better than the Focus/Golf in my opinion.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2980211

View2-9853053.jpeg

In your opinion:D.An alfa better than a golf.:rolleyes:

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    Good luck with whatever you choose

Cheers man! To be honest, once it has working heating and doesn't have rust holes its an upgrade lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Opel/Astra/DESIGN-1/6013329616734410/advert?channel=CARS

Not a hatch, but it's a decent spec and not too much bigger than a hatch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I'd agree that you wont get as good a golf for the money but I'd personally consider the golf, IMO for a small(ish) car you can't beat a golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

How about a Vectra?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

scrawnyass wrote: »
    In your opinion:D.An alfa better than a golf.:rolleyes:

Yep it sure is! At the OP's budget it certainly is anyway. Why, do you disagree?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Advertisement