Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best university: UL, UCD, DCU

Options
  • 16-04-2014 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Which one of the above universities is the best?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Without providing context, look up the Times and QS rankings.

Do you have any specific criteria?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭studentforever

I did my undergraduate degree at DCU, currently doing my postgrad at UCD. I have zero experience of UL so I can give you some idea of the others.

Both are excellent universities, very student focused, the lecturers are amazing (at least the ones that I have had), and very engaging with students and encourage visiting during office hours to discuss any issues, elements of the course work etc. and actually reply when you email them.

Campus wise, both are very different. DCU is much smaller, more community centric and fewer shops/bars/restaurants. UCD is absolutely huge, you can easily become an anonymous face in the crowd depending on the course. Arts in particular have a very class. But there is a huge selection of shops, societies, restaurants etc. The new sports center is fabulous and the gym run a wide variety of classes for students.

My own preference is UCD, purely because the masters I'm doing involves a lot of class hours and self directed study so I spend a crazy amount of time on campus and hiding in the health science library. But to be honest, I don't really have a negative experience with either. Although I became ill in second year undergrad and my head of school was fantastic with helping me complete forms and applications to defer for a year.

Without knowing the specifics of the course you want to do, I can't really comment of class hours, timetabling, buildings etc. but either of these would be a good choice. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭sligolad1

I did my undergraduate degree at DCU, currently doing my postgrad at UCD. I have zero experience of UL so I can give you some idea of the others.

Both are excellent universities, very student focused, the lecturers are amazing (at least the ones that I have had), and very engaging with students and encourage visiting during office hours to discuss any issues, elements of the course work etc. and actually reply when you email them.

Campus wise, both are very different. DCU is much smaller, more community centric and fewer shops/bars/restaurants. UCD is absolutely huge, you can easily become an anonymous face in the crowd depending on the course. Arts in particular have a very class. But there is a huge selection of shops, societies, restaurants etc. The new sports center is fabulous and the gym run a wide variety of classes for students.

My own preference is UCD, purely because the masters I'm doing involves a lot of class hours and self directed study so I spend a crazy amount of time on campus and hiding in the health science library. But to be honest, I don't really have a negative experience with either. Although I became ill in second year undergrad and my head of school was fantastic with helping me complete forms and applications to defer for a year.

Without knowing the specifics of the course you want to do, I can't really comment of class hours, timetabling, buildings etc. but either of these would be a good choice. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me. :)

The course I was thinking of doing was sports science, the name of the course is slightly different in the two universities but they are practically the same!

Advertisement