Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom ZyXEL F1000 - router config & speeds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 smanet

Hi, I was following this thread and reading about how to configure the eFibre router in bridge mode.
    I'm using it in bridge mode as well, but I don't use PPPoE for that.
    Instead, my external router is using just DHCP, getting the public IP address from there.
    MTU set to a standard 1500 and this is my speedtest: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3222514885 (I'm still waiting Eircom to move me to nearest cabinet and re-assert the speed but I got the line yesterday).
    PPPoE worked as well, but as the default setting of the router in routed mode is IPoE, I presume they're going to deprecate PPPoE at one stage.
    If someone else wish to try and let me know that work too, I will appreciate.
    Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 baxpl

Hi
    Could someone please give me link for firmware provided by Zyxel for F1000. I have static IP and all ports are blocked by the eircom firmware.

Many thanks for help

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Rilgar

Hey guys, does anyone know what effect reducing the MTU value for packets by about 30ish from 1500 will have if anything on speed? I noticed that things have been a lil' slower but its still nothing to hold an uproar about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

Hello,

Can someone tell me how to change the dns on the Eircom ZyXEL F1000 router?

Im trying to use BBC iplayer on sky nowtv box. I've registered with unotelly etc. and have dns settings for UK, France. It's working fine on my laptop.

When I login as admin and under Network Setting>Home Networking there's DNS Server 1 and DNS Server 2 but I can't edit these? Is this even the right place.

I don't want to tinker too much with settings as I'm no expert on this!

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭BordorFox

Hello,

Can someone tell me how to change the dns on the Eircom ZyXEL F1000 router?

Im trying to use BBC iplayer on sky nowtv box. I've registered with unotelly etc. and have dns settings for UK, France. It's working fine on my laptop.

When I login as admin and under Network Setting>Home Networking there's DNS Server 1 and DNS Server 2 but I can't edit these? Is this even the right place.

I don't want to tinker too much with settings as I'm no expert on this!

Thanks.

You dont change the dns settings on the router, you change them in the LAN/WIFI Connection settings.

Something similar to below...using windows but most devices have similar settings.

f598cd96-6bf9-47be-942d-7d0b0afdbd88_47.jpg

You would tick "use the following DNS server addresses" and enter your UK DNS addresses then apply and ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 maxpet

Was wondering did anybody get the port forwarding working? Tried the difference techniques on this thread but with no success. I can't even seem to get any ports open :mad:

maxpet wrote: »
    Was wondering did anybody get the port forwarding working? Tried the difference techniques on this thread but with no success. I can't even seem to get any ports open :mad:

Are you on about the F1000? and what are you trying to forward?

Yea its a F1000. I'm trying to port forward to my cameras dvr so I can see them when I'm not home. Had it working before I upgraded to the fibre.

Yea its a F1000. I'm trying to port forward to my cameras dvr so I can see them when I'm not home. Had it working before I upgraded to the fibre.

Ok, have you got the devices IP address on the router to begin with?

The router usually assigns a IP for each device between 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.200, so if you have many in the house you may have many, each pinhole/port forward is specific to that one IP, a lot of people end up trying to open ports to the initial PC ip 192.168.1.1 from the router which will not work for that device.

Go to http://192.168.1.254

Login and if you have the devices ip go to NETWORK SETTINGS then NAT

Under PORT FORWARDING click ADD

Say your IP on the DVR device is 192.168.1.50 and say you wanted to port forward the port 32400 on the Protocol TCP you would have a layout like this.

5HYbtLO.png

Make sure you have Active ticked on

• Advertisement

This is my config below. I have also disable the firewall just in case it was blocking something. I can see the unit when I'm on the network at home so it's not the DVR.

7lfb.jpg

Does it use the same port for udp and tcp traffic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

This is my config below. I have also disable the firewall just in case it was blocking something. I can see the unit when I'm on the network at home so it's not the DVR.

7lfb.jpg

did you set firewall to low and disable upnp on the modem?

did you set firewall to low and disable upnp on the modem?

Did both and also disabled IPV6. Starting to think there is a firmware problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rayme111

Hi, I am having the same problem. When the F1000 was installed I set up port fowarding & worked fine. Firmware updated & now no matter what I do when I check ports they show as closed. Replacement router arrived today but before I'd finished setting up it updated firmware & I can't forward ports. Any ideas anyone

Rayme111 wrote: »
    Hi, I am having the same problem. When the F1000 was installed I set up port fowarding & worked fine. Firmware updated & now no matter what I do when I check ports they show as closed. Replacement router arrived today but before I'd finished setting up it updated firmware & I can't forward ports. Any ideas anyone

Well at least I know it's not just me. Would you know what version of firmware it worked on? Maybe somebody might have that version of firmware.

• Advertisement

Well at least I know it's not just me. Would you know what version of firmware it worked on? Maybe somebody might have that version of firmware.

works for me and my firmware version is 1.00(AAHA.4)D0

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rayme111

1.00(AAHA.4)D0 is the updated firmware that I have. Have you changed any other settings other than port forwarding and firewall

Rayme111 wrote: »
    1.00(AAHA.4)D0 is the updated firmware that I have. Have you changed any other settings other than port forwarding and firewall

Not many, no

I also never touched the firewall, it doesn't have to be touched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

I am using my eircom eFibre ZyXEL F1000 in bridge mode connected to my Mikrotik RB951G-2HND. I often see this in the logs during the night where my pppoe connection seems to disconnect.

Any ideas? It sometimes seems to be daily and then sometimes not.

296955.JPG
    296956.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

eddiem74 wrote: »
    I am using my eircom eFibre ZyXEL F1000 in bridge mode connected to my Mikrotik RB951G-2HND. I often see this in the logs during the night where my pppoe connection seems to disconnect.

296955.JPG
    296956.JPG

you have intermittant sync... call eircom and log an int sync fault

• Advertisement

I contacted eircom support via their chat option today and after running some line tests they said my modem sync was stable but they could see errors on the line so are escalating to the local area engineer to review over the next few working days.

296955.JPG
    296956.JPG
    I contacted eircom support via their chat option today and after running some line tests they said my modem sync was stable but they could see errors on the line so are escalating to the local area engineer to review over the next few working days.

So was still seeing the above in the logs and had heard from no one. So back on to Eircom on Friday and they said the Engineer had resolved the issue on Monday, no idea what it was? and apologized for no one calling me. They said from their checks and tests Friday they see no problems with the line and no sync faults for the last week. :confused:

They offered to send me out a new modem FOC to see if that helped, I told them I would get back to them.

Any further thoughts?

If you use DHCP other than PPPoE while the router is in bridge mode, it will get a public IP directly from Eircom network and so no need to manage the connection.
    So far, I didn't notice any disconnection and I have over 40 days of uptime.
    Hope it helps :)

smanet wrote: »
    If you use DHCP other than PPPoE while the router is in bridge mode, it will get a public IP directly from Eircom network and so no need to manage the connection.
    So far, I didn't notice any disconnection and I have over 40 days of uptime.
    Hope it helps :)

So on my Mikrotik in the quick set options I just change my WAN Address Acquisition from PPPoE to DHCP and that's it? Anything else I need to change or worry about firewall/security wise? I still use NAT for LAN IP address.

Apologies not a networking expert. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

No you should be doing PPPoE. That opens an encapsulated tunnel to an eircom access server. If you use dhcp then its not properly bridged.

ED E wrote: »
    No you should be doing PPPoE. That opens an encapsulated tunnel to an eircom access server. If you use dhcp then its not properly bridged.

Ok, any ideas why I am seeing the periodic drops when PPPoE is used?

So on my Mikrotik in the quick set options I just change my WAN Address Acquisition from PPPoE to DHCP and that's it? Anything else I need to change or worry about firewall/security wise? I still use NAT for LAN IP address.

Apologies not a networking expert. :o

Exactly no other change. The same interface will get the IP from DHCP other than connect by PPPoE.
    So in both cases, you will get it with a public IP address, no matter of the type you select.
    Let me know if it works for you.

smanet wrote: »
    Exactly no other change. The same interface will get the IP from DHCP other than connect by PPPoE.
    So in both cases, you will get it with a public IP address, no matter of the type you select.
    Let me know if it works for you.

@smanet, seems to be recommendation against doing this above? Am I losing or gaining anything with this approach?

@smanet, seems to be recommendation against doing this above? Am I losing or gaining anything with this approach?

You will not use the PPPoE daemon (less CPU used)and the MTU will be the standard 1500 for Ethernet other than the one for PPPoE (I don't remember it right now, around 1492 or something like that), so basically no network overhead for that.
    I don't see why you should use something modifying the network packets when it works natively :)
    My uptime it's more than 40 days without issue (from last reboot, it's more than that!).

ED E: just wondering, what do you mean for properly bridged?
    It's the default setting of the router as well (while not bridged).
    Eircom is switching to IPoE, so PPPoE will be deprecated soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭DJDontaz

Hi folks, I have mine running perfect with a USB stick inserted.

In order to use access accross your network, you need to 'map a drive' on each PC.

If you open up your file explorer, right-click on Network and select 'Map Drive'

Select your drive letter and enter the path as \\192.168.1.254\usbkey\usb1_1

You will then be prompted to enter your routers username and password an BOOM.

Sometimes the path just needs to be \\192.168.1.254\usb1_1

I've set it up like this because this is what I require. Yes, you can set it up for streaming etc.... But network drive is what I needed as i can quickly transfer files from PC to PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Tom_D

Can not manage to Open Ports on Eircom ZyXEL F1000 - Firmware Version: 1.00(AAHA.4)D0 - Just got it & cant open ports for DVR - any recommendations?

Tom_D wrote: »
    Can not manage to Open Ports on Eircom ZyXEL F1000 - Firmware Version: 1.00(AAHA.4)D0 - Just got it & cant open ports for DVR - any recommendations?

step 1. log into modem
    step 2. skip past password changes
    step 3. goto network settings > home networking > static route
    step 4. match the mac address of your dvr to what ever ip address you want to give it.
    step 5. goto network settings > home networking > upnp
    step 6. disable both nat settings in upnp
    step 7. goto network settings > nat > port forwarding
    step 8. enter start & end ports and start trigger and end trigger ports and enter the ip address of the dvr
    step 9. set firewall to low

Thanks for the info but still no luck - On Step 3 I have Static DHCP - Not Static Route - I can view the cameras ok locally - Using any of the Open Port Checkers they show no open ports - iPhone software works locally but not with the fixed IP

Tom_D wrote: »
    Thanks for the info but still no luck - On Step 3 I have Static DHCP - Not Static Route - I can view the cameras ok locally - Using any of the Open Port Checkers they show no open ports - iPhone software works locally but not with the fixed IP

is your port forward rules ticked "active"?

Yep - Marked as active - I will try send through some screen shots later - I am doing all the things I normally do with the other Zyxel routers so I cant figure it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

What sort of wireless speeds can I expect with this modem?

I got it today.My wired connection is 90 mb however my wireless connection is just 6 tonight! It seems to be much higher standing right next to the modem,aruond 40mb, but in the next room it drops right down again to 10ish. Go upstairs and it's 6!
    This is the same on a few different devices. It's a standard house and I've never had a problem with wifi speeds before. I got 13mb on standard bb wired and 12 on wireless on regular eircom broadband before I had efibre.

What can I do ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭swoofer

wi fi can be hit and miss, how old is the laptop, how old is the house, where have you got the router, on the floor or up high, and dect phones, and on it goes, that router is ... not very good, i was at a fiends house today, router is about 2 foot from laptop, he gets 27mb when wireless, i plugged in a cable and he now gets 50mb. the weird thing is he gets higher upload speed on wireless than wired. i have a macbook with a netgear and get 35 in the next room, solid walls, and wired is 39. So the moral is get a better router or an extender.

swoofer wrote: »
    wi fi can be hit and miss, how old is the laptop, how old is the house, where have you got the router, on the floor or up high, and dect phones, and on it goes, that router is ... not very good, i was at a fiends house today, router is about 2 foot from laptop, he gets 27mb when wireless, i plugged in a cable and he now gets 50mb. the weird thing is he gets higher upload speed on wireless than wired. i have a macbook with a netgear and get 35 in the next room, solid walls, and wired is 39. So the moral is get a better router or an extender.

The laptop is 2 years old but it's pretty high spec even by today#s standards.
    The house is around 30 years old, wifi signal hasn't been a problem in it before.
    I have the router on a table so I'd say it's around waist height and it's in the hallway so it's close to all the rooms I'd be using.
    My upload speed is ironically great, remains at around 17mb both wired and wifi. Download is yoyoing between 1mb and 12mb wireless though.

Is a wifi extended what do you or would I need home plugs ?Ideally I'm looking for a wireless solution.

• Advertisement

Now that is weird, check back with eircom and change the router first. Or have you tried a few re-boots but I'd say its the router. I have VF and I have bridged the router to a netgear. A lot of people bridge the eircom as well so your problem may go unnoticed. might be worth doing a separate thread ie wireless speeds on eircom fibre router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

I know people have said they've gotten port forwarding to work but I'm having no joy.

Can those you got it to work advise of what version firmware they are on and any tricks they needed to do?

Does anyone notice the wifi on this router is much improved for an hr or so after a reboot before falling right off again?
    For a short period after a reboot I was getting speeds of 40MB , now it's fallen off again to the usual 1-3mb.

leinster dub, read this " Hi damojag, I've figured it out, here is the fix: when you get to the WAN Interface field it can be one of tree settings, ETHWAN, VDSL or pppo3G. Most likely settings will be either ETHWAN or VDSL depending on your package. See which one doesn't give the error message, Then just populate the rest of the fields with the desired ports. WAN IP field is optional & can be left blank. Best of Luck.

enjoying port forward for security cams....

and this is the link, take you time.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056966218

and wi fi is hopeless on this router.

Thanks swoofer but I'm not getting an error, it just failing to forward the traffic.

I've tried all the WAN interfaces too

• Registered Users Posts: 13 neillerz

Thanks swoofer but I'm not getting an error, it just failing to forward the traffic.

I've tried all the WAN interfaces too

Hi,

Try the following:

Use VDSL as WAN interface.
    Turn off upnp on router and device you want to forward to.
    Do not enter WAN IP.

Configure ports as format below:

Server IP Trigger start Trigger End Trans start Trans end Protocol
    192.168.0.12 50000 50000 80 80 TCP

Reboot router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭BoredNaMoaner

I don't want to start a new thread, as I am certain there are are lot in the same boat as me. Changed over to fibre a few weeks ago from ADSL which was slow but reliable. Now with the new setup the Zyxel modem crashes whenever I use a high bandwidth application and have to power cycle the modem to connect to the internet again. Contacted Eircom support who claimed to have remotely rejigged the modem settings, but the problem still remains. I am prepared to change the modem setup so as to use it in bridging mode with another router I have, but has anyone others found this to be a stable satisfactory solution to this problem? Thanks.

I'm using the bridging configuration since I got the router, without pppoe, and I have no stability problem.
    My line is not the best, due to the distance. I have around 24/14 Mbit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

I turned on SNMP monitoring, I am now configuring a Monitoring station any one have this done already ?

Just in case anyone in the future is reading. Ended up having to use Bridge mode. No matter what I tried nothing worked

As per my experience, it's not worth the time to try to get a "router" provided by an ISP to work as you like. Also, you can use really what you like as you router :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement