Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom ZyXEL F1000 - router config & speeds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 MickOR

mrqpr wrote: »
    I'm looking at getting something like this. I would advise against anything lower than quad core as the initial batch of android mini pc's/tv boxes were quite poor, even some of the dual core ones. I'm not concerned with the device being too small as the larger units will usually have more ports, etc.

I'm more drawn towards the larger units too, don't like the fact that the sticks will be hanging with wires etc.. This site seems great value too and does free shipping:
    http://www.geekbuying.com/item/K-R42-Quad-Core-Google-Android-4-2-2-RK3188-28nm-Cortex-A9-1-6Ghz-Mini-TV-BOX-HDMI-HDD-Player-2G-8G-External-Wifi-Antenna-Ethernet-Port-with-IR-Remote-Controller-Black-317141.html

Will check out my usb drive in the router this evening anyway and report back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Langer

what channels exactly can one get on these things? can you run Netflix/ITV/BBC player etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 MickOR

Langer wrote: »
    what channels exactly can one get on these things? can you run Netflix/ITV/BBC player etc?

Basically any channel you want. It will run any android app so Netflix (not 1080p supported yet as far as I know), rte player etc will work. Not fully sure on BBC Player, probably some work around. But most of the power comes from running XBMC media server where you can install add-ons that can stream absolutley anything, movies, tv, sports from anywhere in the world. Seriously impressive. I installed XBMC on my android phone to test it and I'm amazed at what it can do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

mrqpr wrote: »
    I'm looking at getting something like this. I would advise against anything lower than quad core as the initial batch of android mini pc's/tv boxes were quite poor, even some of the dual core ones. I'm not concerned with the device being too small as the larger units will usually have more ports, etc.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quad-Android-1-8GHz-Output-HI718/dp/B00E7OSRBE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1384339265&sr=8-2&keywords=quad+core+android+mini+pc

I would advise using the Ethernet ports (with the power-line adapters as you've mentioned) if you want to be able to handle hd streaming. Also the speed of online content will be faster too. Wireless is still quite flakey, depending on the quality of you router and the traffic on your lan.

It's a shame about the router issues for creating the usb file share. My admin console just wont allow me to name a share and point it to the usb drive. The android box combined with the hard drive looks the best bet (in terms of cost) to serve the other devices on the network as well as providing smart functionality for my dumb tv in the living room. They look better than the roku boxes, etc, due to the vast array of (mostly free) android apps available too.

The Minix Neo N7 [not the mini version] is the daddy in this area. It's a little more expensive but really is the "flagship" Android PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

eddiem74 wrote: »
    So when is the official release planned?

firmware 1.00(aaha.4)do is the official firmware... already has been mass pushed out to all modems not in bridge mode

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

Hi all,

am looking for some guidance with regards to gaining access to a USB hanging off the eFibre router.

My setup:
    Mac OSX and iPads.

I gained access through to the router and enabled
    1. File sharing and changed the "Host name" to name of USB stick
    2. Media Server is enable also.
    Q: Do I change the name of the media path library?

I am using USB port 1, LED Green.

Was onto Eircom support and they are "not trained" and don't provide support for USB features.

Anyone gain access on OSX with safari?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭RogerThis

firmware 1.00(aaha.4)do is the official firmware... already has been mass pushed out to all modems not in bridge mode

Is there anywhere I can download it from?
    http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/download/zyxel/firmware/F1000-Firmware/Firmware/ only has the older 1.00(aaha.4)b2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

RogerThis wrote: »
    http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/download/zyxel/firmware/F1000-Firmware/Firmware/ only has the older 1.00(aaha.4)b2

I think if you unbridge your modem and ring eircom tech support they will push it through for you.

RogerThis wrote: »

there is actually no difference between 1.00(aaha.4)b2 and 1.00(aaha.4)do

b2 was the test firmware... the name was changed to 1.00(aaha.4)do for the auto updater system

wanna get a 3rd party vdsl2+ modem? make sure it supports vectoring or risk being cut off and wasting your money

check this out it will explain in basic terms how vectoring works

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

So did we find out if there is a 100% successful way to bridge they Zyxel?

From reading the thread it seems the solution is to:

- put 1.00(aaha.4)do firmware on the Zyxel router
    - Set your 3rd party firewall to use PPPoE with MTU 1484 and connect it's WAN port to port 1 of the Zyxel
    - Disconnect DSL cable from Zyxel and put it into bridged mode
    - connect DSL

It's this 100% guaranteed to work even after power cycles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

So did we find out if there is a 100% successful way to bridge they Zyxel?

From reading the thread it seems the solution is to:

- put 1.00(aaha.4)do firmware on the Zyxel router
    - Set your 3rd party firewall to use PPPoE with MTU 1484 and connect it's WAN port to port 1 of the Zyxel
    - Disconnect DSL cable from Zyxel and put it into bridged mode
    - connect DSL

It's this 100% guaranteed to work even after power cycles?

yup so far so good

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭patrickpc

Hi there,
    I don't know if this has been covered here but can someone tell me how to change the default Primary and Secondary DNS servers on the F1000?

They are currently coming up as

Primary- 159.134.0.1 (dns1.eircom.net)
    Secondary - 159.134.0.2 (dns2.eircom.net)

I tried changing them in Network Settings/ Home Networking by changing the DNS switch to static and entering new values for DNS Server 1 and 2 but it made no difference. I am logged in as admin but maybe this doesn't have the appropriate privileges to change the DNS entries ?

Can anyone assist please?

Thanks

Patrick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

patrickpc wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I don't know if this has been covered here but can someone tell me how to change the default Primary and Secondary DNS servers on the F1000?

I tried changing them in Network Settings/ Home Networking by changing the DNS switch to static and entering new values for DNS Server 1 and 2 but it made no difference. I am logged in as admin but maybe this doesn't have the appropriate privileges to change the DNS entries ?

Thanks

Patrick

Did you flush the locals afterwards?

ED E wrote: »
    Did you flush the locals afterwards?

What do you mean ? I have restarted the router and my PC but still seeing the same DNS servers.

Anyone?

patrickpc wrote: »
    Hi there,

Thanks

Patrick

Update***

Figured it out.

Needed to edit the WAN interface DNS settings in Home Networking / Broadband.

All working fine with new DNS entries now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

encryptix wrote: »
    The only place i see the hostname is in the admin web interface. Other than that you seem to have to type out what you want.

Ive taken pictures to try show you what I had to do in windows to get the share's to come up. I have both a 16gb usb key and a 1TB portable drive connected.

Images

Note: You should swap 192.168.1.1 for 192.168.1.254 when trying

Sorry to drag up this reply but what domain, username and password were you using to log on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭encryptix

Jammyc wrote: »
    Sorry to drag up this reply but what domain, username and password were you using to log on?

The router's username and password to login (kept the domain default or blank)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Rilgar

Heys, in the height of renewing my attempts to fix my connectivity issues on my ps3, and after a little tinkering, I brought up the ps3 as is listed on the Network Map. Now, I'm after "add device into Static DHCP", gave the ps3 a static lease and now I'm hoping for the best.

But what, in all that's good and simple, does:
    "add device into Static DHCP".....a static lease

Mean?

D'ya think it'll stop my DNS problems for good this time now that every communique ps3-wise is seemingly....'grounded'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Tip for anyone having slow connection speeds to this on Linux: disabling wlan power management seemed to fix it. Didn't have this issue on a WRT54G in the same house...
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 power off

To make it stick: http://askubuntu.com/a/129634

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭ChrisMcCauley

The Op mentioned this

"The router is saying it has a 70 Mbps down, 20 Mbps up DSL connection but so far my best result has been 47.4 Mbps down, and 17.38 Mbps"

which is a similar problem to me. I'm syncing at 50Mb/s but only getting 38Mb/s according to speedtest. For the five months after installation I was syncing at 50Mb/s and getting 47Mb/s (I can see the cabinet from the house) but since October I'm down at 37/38Mb/s.

Eircom support weren't a lot of help though I did have lots of suggestions. I'm on the 1.00(AAHA.4)D0 firmware and have turned off QoS after a Factory Reset.

Anyone got any ideas?

Stats ...

============================================================================
        VDSL Training Status:   Showtime
                        Mode:   VDSL2 Annex B
                VDSL Profile:   Profile 17a
                Traffic Type:   PTM Mode
                 Link Uptime:   0 day: 23 hours: 53 minutes
           VDSL Port Details       Upstream         Downstream
                   Line Rate:     15.419 Mbps       50.268 Mbps
        Actual Net Data Rate:     15.359 Mbps       50.170 Mbps
              Trellis Coding:         ON                ON
                  SNR Margin:        6.8 dB            6.3 dB
                Actual Delay:          7 ms              8 ms
              Transmit Power:      - 6.5 dBm          12.4 dBm
               Receive Power:      -22.2 dBm          -6.3 dBm
                  Actual INP:        2.0 symbols       3.0 symbols
           Total Attenuation:       15.6 dB           18.7 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate:     17.717 Mbps       60.208 Mbps
          VDSL Band Status    U0      U1      U2      U3      D1      D2      D3
      Line Attenuation(dB):  4.0    20.0    30.0     N/A    11.2    26.3    41.4   
    Signal Attenuation(dB):  4.0    19.3    29.1     N/A    14.8    26.1    41.4   
            SNR Margin(dB):  6.7     6.8     6.8     N/A     6.3     6.3     6.3   
       Transmit Power(dBm):-19.3   -10.0   - 9.6     N/A     8.2     7.7     7.0   

Ok so I have been onto Eircom and though they don't support the USB feature of the F1000 they were quite happy to supply an email with instructions as to gaining access to this feature.

So I have tried but am nowhere nearer!

Here is my set up

Mac OSX 10.8.3, iMac.

32GB USB stick called "32GB", FAT32 Format on USB port 1 of router
    Within this I have a folder called "Share"

Click on this link

smb://192.168.1.254/usbkey/usb1_1
    smb://192.168.1.254/usbkey/usb2_1

And I get a login window for "192.168.1.254"
    Enter username "admin" and password "xxxxxx"
    And I get the following message...

"There was a problem connecting to the server "192.168.1.254", The share does not exist on the server. Please check the share name and then try again"

Any ideas?
    I have tried editing the "Media Library Path" in the Media Server tab and also "Host name" in the File sharing tab

Should it remain usb1_1 or should I rename to 32GB to reflect the name of the USB stick attached to that port?

smb://192.168.1.254/usbkey/usb1_1 is a samba share....how are you trying to access it? Probably won't work from a browser....try from XBMC. Also if I pm you my email address would you forward a copy of the Eircom email to me please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭encryptix

I hope its the same on OSX but on arch linux I use

mount //192.168.1.254/usbkey/usb1_1 /mnt/test/ -o user=admin
    (Have created /mnt/test/ beforehand)

smb://192.168.1.254/usbkey/usb1_1 is a samba share....how are you trying to access it? Probably won't work from a browser....try from XBMC. Also if I pm you my email address would you forward a copy of the Eircom email to me please?

Yes I can forward the email onto you, why do you need it?

Well I got further than I ever have. In Windows 7 I was able to map the usb key to a network drive successfully. Basically I can navigate the files/folders on the usb key. Don't know why it creates a folder called "share" since I start off in the root of the key.

What I really want to do is access the usb drive from XBMC! And I'm failing spectacularly. :)

Side note, has anyone else experienced problems attempting to change WLAN encyption from WPA to WEP? I tried doing it, and ended up calling eircom to reset it to default since no device I had would connect with the new WEP keys.

Rilgar wrote: »
    Side note, has anyone else experienced problems attempting to change WLAN encyption from WPA to WEP? I tried doing it, and ended up calling eircom to reset it to default since no device I had would connect with the new WEP keys.

Now don't take me wrong but WEP is not considered security by any means.

Seriously, you might as well have it totally open [with MAC filtering to keep the neighbours off] if you need WEP devices working.

Yup WEP is hopeless and outdated. They're probably trying to discourage the use of it.

• Advertisement

Welll to be honest, I am really clutching at straws to try to solve the mystery of why I can't game on-line on my ps3 and ps4 consoles without getting kicked out of the playstation network.

Which brings me to another question: Is the F1000 modem compatible with both the ps3 and ps4? I ask because I was on the phone to an eircom technician earlier this morning who tried to convince me otherwise. I'm certainly baffled by this revelation, at any rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ABC101

I got the eFibre upgrade in June, speed down was 34Mb/s which was a big improvement over the 8 previously. However 34 Mb/s out of 50 was a bit disappointing.

Under the stairs there was a mess of CAT5 wires, 4 from various rooms and the telco line from the street, making 5 cat5 cables in all.

The cables were about ten foot long and all jumbled up, basically just 1 pair on all five had been roughly soldered together.

I purchased a 66 block with punchdown tool, trimmed the cables to 3 foot long, got rid of all the kinks and knots, fanned out the cables and punched down.

When all finished I was getting 45Mb/s down... almost 30% increase in speed just for tidying up cables and terminating correctly. Needless to say I was amazed!!:D

Welll to be honest, I am really clutching at straws to try to solve the mystery of why I can't game on-line on my ps3 and ps4 consoles without getting kicked out of the playstation network.

Which brings me to another question: Is the F1000 modem compatible with both the ps3 and ps4? I ask because I was on the phone to an eircom technician earlier this morning who tried to convince me otherwise. I'm certainly baffled by this revelation, at any rate.

Now that we know your problem, WEP is totally the wrong thing to do.
    Have you tried wired rather than wireless. This should ALWAYS be step number 1 as WIFI problems are "usually" not the ISP [problem] but more local problem in your house/apt.

You can give me your PS4 if I solve your problem :S.

Curious same for me with the Nintendo Wii, I can spend more time being kicked out of an online game of Call of Duty or searching for a game. It has gotten to a stage where I have given up playing online and this has only happened after installing eFibre.

My daughter ain't none too happy either as Mario Kart the same, online game might start but you lose connection during the game.

On a side note my 160GB Apple TV keeps losing connection to the internet also. This morning I had to physically powering down the AppleTV and reboot for it to recognise the network.

Any thoughts/ suggestions?

Wii is connecting through WPA not WEP

Cuttlefish wrote: »
    Any thoughts/ suggestions?

Wii is connecting through WPA not WEP
    RangeR wrote: »
    Have you tried wired rather than wireless. This should ALWAYS be step number 1 as WIFI problems are "usually" not the ISP [problem] but more local problem in your house/apt.

^^

Now that we know your problem, WEP is totally the wrong thing to do.

You can give me your PS4 if I solve your problem :S.

I would love to have a wired connect, really, I would, but it simply isn't a viable option for me. The modem is downstairs while both consoles are upstairs.

Haha, nice try.

• Advertisement

^^

Again not an option for me.

Bear in mind

I have 2 smart phones, 2 iPads, Nook, iMac and Apple TV3 all running OK

Agree it might not be the ISP rather it is Nintendo!

As an aside when I went from WEP to WPA I lost internet connection via the DS Lite WHY? They only use WEP!

Crazy, it is all over the web about it, poor by Nintendo not to future proof.

I would love to have a wired connect, really, I would, but it simply isn't a viable option for me. The modem is downstairs while both consoles are upstairs.

Haha, nice try.

Bear in mind

As an aside when I went from WEP to WPA I lost internet connection via the DS Lite WHY? They only use WEP!

Less of the Ha Ha Nice Try. I'm trying to solve a problem that you aren't capable of solving.

Wired is ALWAYS an option. Can both of you try these? They are wired extenders, to a point, and very cheap.

I'm almost sure that the problem is not with the eFibre box otherwise we would have widespread outcry form the multitude of console owners.

Christ I'm only trying to remain light hearted about this debacle, calm down. I'll look into those.

Less of the Ha Ha Nice Try. I'm trying to solve a problem that you aren't capable of solving.

Wired is ALWAYS an option. Can both of you try these? They are wired extenders, to a point, and very cheap.

I'm almost sure that the problem is not with the eFibre box otherwise we would have widespread outcry form the multitude of console owners.

Firstly never said "ha ha nice try" :mad:

Also agree but as you can appreciate I am using wireless that is how I am operating.

I am sussing out board members who MIGHT have come across my two issues

1. gaining access to the USB stick via WiFi on an iMac

and

2. Overcoming loss of connection during internet/ online play with the Wii

Firstly never said "ha ha nice try" :mad:
    Don't be mad. I though that it was obvious that it was the other guy who said that, whom I've withdrawn help from for his latest comment.

I quoted both of you as the general help applied to both of you.

• Advertisement

Wow, thanks for nothing then.

Lads this a friendly community!

Lads this a friendly community!

I agree. OK, so you want to stick with WIFI for the moment. I don't like it but it only potentially wastes time. You say you have smart phones. Are they Android? If so, can you install WIFI Analyser? I don't know iPhone but I'm sure this is similar.

Run the app and see if your WIFI access point is on the same channel as others. Can you move your channel to a less used space? So, for example, if Channels 1 through 6 are used by your neighbours, move yours to 11 or something. Always try to get yours at least 2 or 3 channels away from everything else. Sometimes this isn't possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭anotherposter

Bear in mind

call eircom... they will give a free pair of tplink home plugs to all efibre/evision customers only having wifi problems. got me a pair of them last week xbox works great now :)

call eircom... they will give a free pair of tplink home plugs to all efibre/evision customers only having wifi problems. got me a pair of them last week xbox works great now :)

Sounds like an idea esp. for the loss of connection on Nintendo during online gameplay

What reason did you give or why did they, Eircom, issue the TPLink home plugs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

we are another one having psn dropping out constantly,

the ps3 keeps dropping the connection despite another ps3 in a room further away from the router maintaining a wireless connection.

we use WPA2 on the F1000,

i am possibly looking at buying a new vdsl router as the last time we had issues like this (only my macbook wouldn't connect that time while other laptops/phones/tablets worked fine) buying a new linksys fixed my problem but that router is adsl so we can't use it now :(

instantly (despite eircom trying to convince me my laptop was the issue) my laptop started finding an internet connection again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Is there any way to change the DNS settings on the F1000 eircom router.
    I ran the benchmark tool and it came back with Google DNS as being over 70% faster than eircoms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

naughto wrote: »
    Is there any way to change the DNS settings on the F1000 eircom router.
    I ran the benchmark tool and it came back with Google DNS as being over 70% faster than eircoms

That doesn't mean they are the servers you should be using. Your ISPs server is internal on their network and prioritised for. Only change if you are having issues, are you? I have Eircom and have no issues with their DNS
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87056924

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭anotherposter

Sounds like an idea esp. for the loss of connection on Nintendo during online gameplay

What reason did you give or why did they, Eircom, issue the TPLink home plugs?

i basically told them i couldnt get a wifi signal upstairs. the guy i spoke to (a foreign fella sounded polish or eastern european) offered them...said there is some incentive scheme. got them free of charge.

While in the process of elimination I've asked eircom could they send us out a new modem, which should arrive tomorrow, so I'll see how that goes. I'm kind've hoping for a repeat of last time; when we first got broadband in this house the first Netopia modem we got from eircom we had to send back for reasons I've now forgotten unfortunately. Well, if at first you don't succeed...

• Advertisement
Advertisement