Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help wiring phone line

Options
  • 22-07-2014 6:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 223 ✭✭

Im trying to figure this mess out any help would be great. I just started renting and trying to get my phone line working so i can see if im in a fibre optic area and eircom need my number to check. It takes up to 4 weeks to get a technician out and if im not in the fibre optic area but they feel the connection is ok i have to take it. also the current deal there doing runs out the end of the month and I wont get it with the call out being up to 4 weeks. also i think my phoneline may be conneced to my doorbell or maby im crazy:P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭phog

Pic 1 has three pairs of wires Blue White, Orange White & Green White.

Try squeezing the wires from Blue White into L1 & L2 in Pic 2. Use your nails at either side of the termination point to squeeze the wires in to make a connection.

Edit - maybe the wires have to go under the black screw terminals on bottom right of pic 2

Remove the wires going to the bell, that was probably an extension bell.

If the bell wire isn't coming from the phone socket then its likely to be tapped off between entry point and socket. If this is the case then it will have an impact on speed of broadband.

When you have all if this done I'm really not sure what you'll have achieved.

Edited to add the piece about the scew terminals

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 223 ✭✭RiskItAllRick

thanks for the reply no luck still looks like the tech will be needed dont think its bein working in over 10 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Can you find the main socket where the phone line enters the premises? This connector is usually brown with a single screw in the centre. If you find it get a socket in a hardware store and connect it to the incoming pair of cables. Connect a phone to it using a rj11 cable and see if you get a dial tone. If you get a dial tone (although I doubt it) you're sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

As JCA posted find the drop wire/master socket and connect a phone OR a multimeter and see if you get ~50V DC, if so its still active, if not you need to order a new line provide.

Advertisement