Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

using up credit on a french broadband chip

Options
  • 20-07-2014 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Hello there l am in france on holiday and bought myself a Domino device off Orange. An orange sim card inside and 20 euro of credit, giving 2 Go (gigabites) over one month. Anyway credit ended after three days. My daughter is rarely off instagram and snapchat. Has this gobblec up a months redit in three days, or am I just bonkers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved from Living Abroad to Broadband as you are more likely to get a decent answer here rather than from a bunch of people living in random locations around the world.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

2gb isn't a lot, but I wouldn't have thought snapchat or Instagram would be particularly heavy. Perhaps there is some video/music stuff being done too.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

colm_mcm wrote: »
    2gb isn't a lot, but I wouldn't have thought snapchat or Instagram would be particularly heavy. Perhaps there is some video/music stuff being done too.

Instagram has autoplay video afaik, app is gonna pull a fair bit.

One netflix movie in hd could use most of it too. You'd want 30gb or more if you have teenagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

On several occasions during these three days the internet appeared to fail. Even a n orange "credit has run out "notice would appear, but rebooting the donglethingy put it back on.
    No netflix stuff was used
    This 20 euro /2 G b/ one month system says that you get up to 167 hours of normal surfing. I found a useful tool where you can estimate your usage. Takes a lot to use it up.
    I have prior experience of these devices and usually get a month

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

It depends on the person 2GB might last me a couple of mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I have one of these Orange devices that I use on visits to France. Twenty euros credit generally lasts about a week. I then have a problem topping up as only the Orange website is allowed and my Visa card requires that I have access to my gmail account for a verification number. It is a pain and I would like to hear of an alternative for surfing in France.

rugbyman wrote: »
    On several occasions during these three days the internet appeared to fail. Even a n orange "credit has run out "notice would appear, but rebooting the donglethingy put it back on.
    No netflix stuff was used
    This 20 euro /2 G b/ one month system says that you get up to 167 hours of normal surfing. I found a useful tool where you can estimate your usage. Takes a lot to use it up.
    I have prior experience of these devices and usually get a month

What monitoring tool do you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

joolsveer wrote: »
    What monitoring tool do you use?

Jools, I buy my credit in an orange shop. 20 euro for one month 2Go , as they call it, 30 euro can last five months and up to 3 Go.
    Keeping a spare credit voucher is not a problem, they are valid for a year.
    Re the monitoring tool , I have no idea, perhapsi found it on orange.fr

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

2gb is enough for a months gmail or a weeks light browsing. Your teens will slaughter it.

See my attached image. That was 1 day.

rugbyman wrote: »
    Jools, I buy my credit in an orange shop. 20 euro for one month 2Go , as they call it, 30 euro can last five months and up to 3 Go.
    Keeping a spare credit voucher is not a problem, they are valid for a year.
    Re the monitoring tool , I have no idea, perhapsi found it on orange.fr

How do you activate the credit? I don't have an Orange mobile and my French mobile from another provider is not recognised by Orange.

• Advertisement
Advertisement