Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silly Doberman

Options
  • 11-12-2011 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi

We have a 9 month male doberman and he is the gentlest dog in the world but he chews everything that comes in his way: shoes, toys, windowsills, etc....:mad: We have two boxers under 2 as well and we never had this problem with them! Any advice?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

He's still very much a pup - so they like to chew things for their teeth and for fun.
    You need to try and provide more [dog] toys, more stimulation to keep him occupied.

There are some posters here who swear by Kongs (brand of dog toy), you can fill some of them with treats or some fill them with peanutbutter & put it in the freezer.

Your dog needs something to chew and if there's other things around they can chew, they will. You need to also let your dog know that he can't chew the windowsill or shoes.
    Whatever phrase or signal/method you have for 'no' or 'that's bold' or 'ah ah' you must use it when you see the dog going to chew something it shouldn't. He doesn't know he can't chew whatever he likes.

I'm sure other posters will have better advice on how to stop him eating everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,027 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I gave my guy nylabones when he was teething and found them brilliant. As he's gotten older he's moved up through the different strengths in them and will sit in his bed and have a chew on them every morning and evening before having a sleep. He's never really chewed anything since he got the nylabones from a few months old - the odd sock when he was younger but that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

+1 for the nylabones, a tip I got was to rub a finger full of peanut butter on the end and the praise him when he licks and chews it.
    You need to catch him at it, tell him no and give him the chew toy, praise him for chewing the toy. Keep this up and have lots of the chews around, he will get it.
    I also highly recommend the Kongs, I stuff mine at night and freeze them, the dogs take about an hour and a half to empty them, great for boredom. If he's doing this when you are out its partly boredom.

Advertisement