Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First TV in 10 years. Should I get LED or LCD? Or projector? Or home cinema.

Options
  • 17-03-2015 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

The last time I lived in a house with a television was 2005.
    I've watched some streaming TV in that time, but not on a daily or even weekly basis.

However, it's time to move on, it's time to get a television (or similar) for the following reasons:
    • Firstly, we've just bought a new house with a large lounge
    • Secondly, we've two children that we don't want to deprive of TV
    • And most importantly, we'll get no babysitter without a TV

As you can imagine, I'm out of touch with the world of TV sets.
    Apparently plasma is long gone and it's between LED and LCD. What are the pros and cons?
    Given that I'm in my 40ies and I've never bought a TV or a TV licence, I can afford the luxury of splashing out a bit. Should I go with home cinema? Is this just a surround sound system?

Is a projector a runner? It sounds like a good idea, but I've read a few cons. It seems to be something that should be in a dedicated room. Not a living area where there are windows, lamps and people passing thru'.

I'm sure budget is a factor. I'm not willing to pay thousands, but maybe if I got the following covered for the €3,000 mark:
    screen, sound, DVD/BluRay player.

Thanks.

Oh yeah, and where to test/buy in the Cork/Kerry/Limerick area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I reckon you could get all that covered for under a grand and thats with a big LED tv...

Projectors made much more sense to me, when tvs were massive and screen sizes relatively small...

I believe one of the good things about the projector was you dont have to pay tv license, but I am assuming this will change when the broadcasting license comes in...

In terms of sound, if the tv isnt adequate, you can get a soundbar or have wired or wireless speakers around the room...

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dazzling D

Harvey Norman Little Island is a good place to go or Currys at Mahon point

55" TV
    Soundbar
    BD Player all in one go for less than €1500

Try and stay with the one brand rather than different brands for different products

Advertisement