Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Event Management - Starting off

Options
  • 24-06-2015 12:13am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 389 ✭✭

I would to know more about event management. I previously worked in the catering business and I have a hotel & catering diploma. I now work in finance but have always being interested in this area and use my language skills starting off. Is it best to look at some college courses or go in and do some unpaid work while seeing "the ropes" so to speak. Any advise would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,346 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I suppose it depends on how old you are, what your personal circumstances are and how hungry you are to do it.

You could do a course but that could take years, you could try and get a job to gain experience but there are so few opportunities in Ireland the chances are pretty remote (as are getting paid to do it).

Or you could just go out there and do it. Get yourself a good book about Event Management and make it up as you go along.

Find your niche and listen to your customer all the time, keeping them happy is the key. Keep an eye on the money, events are usually paid-for beforehand so it helps. Outsource as much work as possible and be prepared to delegate, especially near to the event, it can get very hectic.

Have you got any particular type of event in mind?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 389 ✭✭micromary

Thanks a million for your advise. Great stuff. No I don't to be very honest. I am very good at the customer focus and the attention to detail. It is certainly a area I would have far more interest then I do at the moment. I also think with these things it is about being in the right place at the right time with a bit of luck at getting the right position. So many thoughts going through my head at the moment.

Advertisement