Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

St Joseph's home for babies.

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I was in St Clare's from 1975-79, so in a way I probably met some of you guys. It took 18 months after requesting a very specific array of documents from Drogheda to receive a letter that gave a brief overview, a rosy, flattering picture of me and yet I know at nearly four I wasn't eating solids yet, had a diet of mashed bannana and SMA, I had no language, was never outside, never saw a car and refused to get into it in fear. I received nothing that I asked for, i wanted copies of documents after viewing originals not a fairy-tale. I'm in the process of writing my response. The social worker soundled lovely on the phone but i'd prefer a grumpy person that gave me what i want.

Finbar- I really like people like you.

Stick to your guns- be firm but polite- and don't let any mushy fairy stories stop you. I honestly wish there were more people like you- it would make life a hell of a lot easier for those who don't have the same resolve as you have- but it would also make the agencies and the HSE think twice about telling adopted people the load of porkies they love to lather on us.

Give them hell- I sincerely hope you get everything you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mzo1978

I was in St Clare's from 1975-79, so in a way I probably met some of you guys. It took 18 months after requesting a very specific array of documents from Drogheda to receive a letter that gave a brief overview, a rosy, flattering picture of me and yet I know at nearly four I wasn't eating solids yet, had a diet of mashed bannana and SMA, I had no language, was never outside, never saw a car and refused to get into it in fear. I received nothing that I asked for, i wanted copies of documents after viewing originals not a fairy-tale. I'm in the process of writing my response. The social worker soundled lovely on the phone but i'd prefer a grumpy person that gave me what i want.

Maybe we were crib mates Finbar as I was there from 79 to 80 after been moved from St pats on the navan road for adoption

I've an ok social worker in drogheda she met my siblings the other day and will put is togehter now very soon as for my mother she hasn't responded to say letters so unfortunately that's been closed off as I have 2 more siblings to make contact with x

• Registered Users Posts: 6 fififairy

I was born in Portlaoise in Feb 1984 and brought to the home straight after for adoption. I understand I was there for 13 weeks before joining my wonderful adoptive family.
    When I was turning 21 I wrote to the Dept. in Drogheda just asking them what I would need to do to find my BM. My BM had also sent a letter to the same Dept. as she was turning 40, to let them know if I contacted them for info, she gave permission for her details to be given.....the 2 letters arrived within days of each other!!
    Very quickly we were put in contact with each other by exchanging letters through the Social Worker, who was named Jean?...we then met in the centre in Drogheda for the first time under the supervision of the Dept. It all happened within a few weeks.
    What I would love to know is who would have looked after me in Stamullen and who would have brought me from the hospital in Portlaoise to Stamullen?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Jessie1965

I worked as a trainee nursery nurse in Stamullen in the early 1980s. We girls used to buy sunday clothes for the babies and there was a nun who took the toddlers to the library every week for storytelling. We used to take the babies out for walks when the weather was good and there were two swings at the back for the toddlers.
    The children were very well treated. The babies were fed round the clock every 4 hours and the doctor would come in and examine them if they had colds or anything. The nuns were very particular about how the babies were looked after and we had to adhere to a lot of rules about hygiene etc. We teenage girls looked after the babies and there was a nun who was matron she was an SRN and there was also a lay woman who was an SRN who supervised us from 9am to 3pm every day during the week. I enjoyed working there. We girls lived in a nurses home attached to the babies home and we sometimes had good fun together. We got certificates when we finished the two year course but it wasn't officially recognised as a qualification, so I discovered afterwards. I trained as a secretary after that. I found the sad cases of neglect, by parents, hard to bear as I am empathic. These were children who were put in St Josephs because their parents neglected them. They were wards of court and St Josephs was a place of safety. We once asked a couple of toddlers who were able to talk did they prefer the babies home or being with their parents and they said the babies home. Very sad. A lot of the babies for adoption were adopted after a comparatively short time being in there. There were about 30 babies in there when I was there. My mother trained there in the 1950s and there used to be 300 babies in there then. She said there were no deaths there when she was there and there were no deaths there when I was there either. Can't understand the media saying there were deaths there. Everything was done meticulously as far as I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Haithabu

Could you or anyone point out the location of St. Joseph's ? Like others we find it very difficult to find anything about the place.

We are in touch with the HSE and hopefully that brings some information at some stage. Separately from that, just seeing the place - even from a distance if it is closed to the public - would put our minds at ease.

Surprised to see how many here were born there, glad to hear that it seems the babies were treated nicely there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement