Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a town/city list for the United Kingdom?

Options
  • 14-02-2012 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hi, would anyone tell me where i would get a definitive list for the United Kingdom, i need it for a website, drop down of cities etc, maybe somebody here who may have set up a website with the UK details for listing purposes etc on the website, or is it just a case of doing a list of the counties,cities after the UK drop down?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Couple of options popping up here from a quick google search

SQLDumpster has a list of all UK, Towns and cities postcodes etc Link

You can use geonames.org. They got a webservice or a list of geodata you can download.
    The GeoNames geographical database is available for download free of charge under a creative commons attribution license. It contains over 10 million geographical names and consists of 7.5 million unique features whereof 2.8 million populated places and 5.5 million alternate names.

Also, you should check out Yahoo GeoPlanet. In my experience, it has more up-time than geonames.
    In practical terms, Yahoo! GeoPlanet is a resource for managing all geo-permanent named places on Earth.

and finally there is the list generator tool at toolsjar Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭calerbass

tommycahir wrote: »
    Couple of options popping up here from a quick google search

SQLDumpster has a list of all UK, Towns and cities postcodes etc Link

You can use geonames.org. They got a webservice or a list of geodata you can download.

Also, you should check out Yahoo GeoPlanet. In my experience, it has more up-time than geonames.

and finally there is the list generator tool at toolsjar Link

Thanks very much, You ve been a great help

Advertisement