Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Once Upon a Time in Mexico

• 10-10-2003 11:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

Jaysus this has to be one of the worst movies i have ever had the misfortune of watching! It seems like it was either kind of a squel to Desperado or a really ****e remake of it. It had most of the same characters with a few more well known actors in it. Johnny Depp was pretty good in it and sort of held it together, cuz everything else was all over the place. The plot was soo messed up and jumped around the place, i can't stress how ****e this movie really is!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭eoge

Yeah, it really is a load of t1ts! All over the place is right, just really really sh1t. One of those films that makes you angry at how rubbish it is. And I hate Enrique Iglesias.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS PIECE OF SH1T!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Well did u guys think desperado was any good? i liked that movie :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Kold
    Well did u guys think desperado was any good? i liked that movie :D
    yeah, great film.
    tarentino's best cameo imo.
    hmm, must re-watch it soon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Whats el Marachi(?) like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭spooiirt!!

el mariachi is good. to be honest im never gonna watch desperado ever again. its on every two minutes on tv3!
    ive seen that film as often as total recall!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Yeah total recall is class!! I love that movie and Sharon stone looks well fine in it too!:) Also i though desperado was an alright movie, but this movie, as eoge said, was one of those movies that really pissed u off cuz it was sooo ****e!!! I just couldn't think of that when i first posted cuz i was soo pissed off that it was such a ****e movie!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

We got up and left just after this church scene, making this the only film i've walked out on, ever.
    though the prescence of a bar in UGC may have influenced that somewhat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭spooiirt!!

the only flick ive ever walked out was george clooneys solaris!!
    it was too " artistic"
    (boring)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I enjoyed both "Once Upon A Time In Mexico" AND "Solaris". Sheesh, I'm beginning to feel tolerant once more! "Solaris" was prettty and gentle and "Once Upon A Time.." was brainless fun. They're nowhere near as ****e as stuff that fools people into thinking it's good like the dire "A Beautiful Mind" (I really hate that movie).

Yeah he explained.. but in simplistic terms (or "layman's terms"). I wanted detailed analysis and appplications - nerd alert :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by smiaras
    I used to study economics so I thought Beautiful Mind was pretty cool when it explained how the Nash equilibrium came about.
    I tried to explain co-operative game theory to someone a week before going to see the movie. I got a nudge and a whisper asking me if that was what I was trying to explain. yes... why didn't you explain it like that then?. Edutainment = economic theory part-presented by Jennifer Connelly. I approve.

This very evening I explained Von Neuman's minimax theorem on the phone to the same girl in an attempt to explain how to deal with a troublesome housemate. I really should get out more:)

On topic, I didn't think Once Upon A Time In Mexico was that bad. Not the best movie I've seen this year by a long way but far from being the worst as well. Enrique should stick to whatever his real day job is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

firstly 'el mariachi' was Rodrigez first film made on an absolute shoe string, Holywood (I think it was HW) then got all exited and gave him a 'big' budget and he made Deperado which is 'el mariachi' with a budget.

After that Rodrigez went on to make Spy Kids (what a load of sheit man).

The only realy cool thing about this movie is that it was made with high definition cameras (some one help me out here, I continually forget the 'propper' term). Anyhow, not a role of film was used in the making. The movie may be crap but I really want to figur out how he got such colour richness in the movie and at what cost (the flexilbitiy that should give is something else).

Hope some else add something on the more 'interresting' elements of the film.

The Duke : ))

Originally posted by TheDuke
    The only realy cool thing about this movie is that it was made with high definition cameras (some one help me out here, I continually forget the 'propper' term). Anyhow, not a role of film was used in the making. The movie may be crap but I really want to figur out how he got such colour richness in the movie and at what cost (the flexilbitiy that should give is something else).

Was it not just recorded using digital cameras? "28 Days Later" used this, as well as "Changing Lanes". It's apparently cheaper to film and process but a lot of directors ain't used it. It's then, I assume, transferred to traditional film reels rather than projected digitally as well (as avowed by George Rubbish Lucas).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

I think that's it "high defintion digital cameras"... didn't know 28 days used it.... never got arround to watching it but will now. I read up on all of the colour depth and pixel, ect stuff but can;t remember a thing right now...

And you're right, once the film is complete it is transfered to reel for cinema viewing (as digital cinemas are slow in the comming - ironically people find the picture too crisp and a little flat (read that in a few reviewed - never seen it for myself)).

The benfit of getting near photo quality digitally is major. With reel you need to shoot, scan, tweak electronically and re-transfer. Not to mention the pain of trying to cut a film.

The reason I am big into this is that I have a film to make at some stage of my life ala 'el mariachi' style but it has to be like brill baii...

Anyhow, loosing the plot of the thread....

The Duke : ))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Originally posted by TheDuke
    Hope some else add something on the more 'interresting' elements of the film.

i thought Johnny Depps contributions were pretty humourous at time and oh course Eva Mendes for a bit of eye candy was also nice too. They still couldn't manage to keep it togther though

What was you worst bit in the movie everybody. Think mine was the church scene when every1 that got shot seemed to do an obligatory triple somersault backwards

that was indeed very lame! i can't really pick out one part that i thought was worst that the others.

Advertisement