Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski/snowboard tunes

Options
  • 05-02-2015 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭

Safety concerns aside - what's your favourite tune to listen to on the slopes? Do you have a ski/snowboard mix prepared?

Ironically mine, this year was Stayin' Alive, by the Bee Gees - very cheesey and the sort of music I wouldn't normally listen to, it works very well on the slopes, especially suited to grooving on the board :D

Little Fluffy Clouds (The Orb), and other trippy tunes like it would take up the rest of my playlist.

"They went on forever – They - When I w- We lived in Arizona, and the skies always had little fluffy clouds in 'em, and, uh... they were long... and clear and... there were lots of stars at night"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Never listened to music on the slopes but like the orb tune :)
    If i was putting a ski video together i imagine cool tunes.
    Yesterday was Liberty album by Canned Heat , some proper delta blue riffs, Poor moon would be the choice.
    Reckon cortez the killer by neil young be a cracker riff for backcountry

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭corvus4906

Here you go :)

tinyurl.com/l9ehc85

...Yes I've been putting a playlist together specifically for next week in Mayrhofen.
    ...Yes i'm very uncool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    Never listened to music on the slopes but like the orb tune :)
    If i was putting a ski video together i imagine cool tunes.
    Yesterday was Liberty album by Canned Heat , some proper delta blue riffs, Poor moon would be the choice.
    Reckon cortez the killer by neil young be a cracker riff for backcountry

Classic tune, yes!

Why don't you listen to music, safety concerns? My brother refuses to, says he wants to hear all the sounds around him, more from a hippyesque point of view than safety reasons. I love listening to music, can still hear everything around me and it (in my opinion) enhances the experience. Adds rhythm to my 'boarding too :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

I think this would be great for it.

corvus4906 wrote: »
    Here you go :)

tinyurl.com/l9ehc85

...Yes I've been putting a playlist together specifically for next week in Mayrhofen.
    ...Yes i'm very uncool.

Some fine tunes on that, big mix of genres too! I haven't got Beautiful Day on mine, I reckon it would work well on a red. Cheers.

Dire Straits is a bit questionable though.

I don't use Spotify, can you play your playlist offline if you haven't bought the tracks?

• Advertisement

haha i've an old, more questionable mix with Christy Moore somewhere...

I use Spofity premium for 10€/month which lets me sync tracks to my phone when offline, so i'll do that for the slopes.

As a free account you cant do that unfortunately. You just could rip each track from YouTube or something but would prob take an hour or 2 to compile the mix... there could be faster ways to rip spotify playlists.

But pirating is bad :| ...ahem.

cormee wrote: »
    Classic tune, yes!

Why don't you listen to music, safety concerns? My brother refuses to, says he wants to hear all the sounds around him, more from a hippyesque point of view than safety reasons. I love listening to music, can still hear everything around me and it (in my opinion) enhances the experience. Adds rhythm to my 'boarding too :cool:

Yeah old hippy reasons lol :)
    Sometimes they place chilled tunes on the ski lift and i dont mind that.

Bought the daughter a Sj4000 sports camera so its fun chatting about the music we are gonna use for the videos :)
    She likes "Sail" from some american horror show.
    She doesnt like any of my hippy **** :)

I keep music fairly low so i can hear the boar sounds too (and any prospective skiers looking for a death wish behind me)

I probably only have music on for an hour or 2 a day on the slopes while boarding. For chair lifts it's great tho.

No better feeling than having a slope to yourself and the right song comes on and you just fly down carving in sync with the song singing/laughing your head off. There's my epitome of heaving right there.

corvus4906 wrote: »
    No better feeling than having a slope to yourself and the right song comes on and you just fly down carving in sync with the song singing/laughing your head off. There's my epitome of heaving right there.

Oh yes, that there is when I'm happy. Best way to do it is to go to the highest point, with a pub, that you can board/ski the whole way down to your resort, just before the lifts close and have a beer or two, then strap yourself in and press play, the slopes are empty and the light at that time of the day in the Alps is amazing. It's a brilliant way to end a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Punk/hardcore mostly but anything with a bit of anger and aggresion in it generally, examples being Dead Kennedys, Bad Brains or RATM.

Can't beat ripping down the mountain listening to stuff like this

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Riffs, rhythm, beats and chilled out bliss maaan *nods head*

Black Sabbath - Master of Reality album, Snowblind :D, Planet Caravan

Kyuss - ... Just about everything...

Electric Wizard - Mountains of Mars, Return Trip

Clutch - Pure Rock Fury

Glitch Mob - Drink the Sea ...discovered this group from a group of Swedes on last ski trip :)

R.E.M - Orange Crush

I haven't actually listened to music while skiing... but Cortez the Killer is always a good shout. I have throw in Cowgirl in the Sand and Down by the River.

Eddiitt:

Ah sure, anything with Mountain in title :D

Man on the Silver Mountain \m/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Sail, AWOLNATION

Punching in a Dream, Naked and famous

Sex is on Fire, Kings of Leon

Still into you Paramore

Shiny Disco Balls

Paper planes MIA

Feel it Tempura

Fortune Son Creedance Clearwater

Yellow Pearl Thin Lizzy

Headlong Queen

Born to Run the Boss

Paradise City Gun n Roses

All night long AC/DC

Mr Brightside the Killers

The Miracle of Joey Ramone, U2

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

I have an eclectic mix of bangin' dubstep, some techno-y trancey stuff, LMFAO Sexy and I know it, some Irish trad, movie soundtracks (drive!), some indie, and some classic rock! I've been called musically confused before, but I like to mix things up!

UFO by Matta is a favourite but the timing needs to be right. i.e. starts off just as you near the top of the lift, ride away, strap in, soak up the atmosphere/view while it builds up then just as it kicks in, stand up and take off! Best on a quiet run that you know well so you can really go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

I put together a playlist of about 600 songs with nothing but fast paced hard rock, heavy metal, pop-punk, mixed with a sprinkle of pop and cheese. It was perfect. Just left it on shuffle over the duration of the trip, never had to skip a track.

I put together a playlist of about 600 songs with nothing but fast paced hard rock, heavy metal, pop-punk, mixed with a sprinkle of pop and cheese. It was perfect. Just left it on shuffle over the duration of the trip, never had to skip a track.

I wouldn't have the concentration required to put something like that together. I've a separate playlist of mixes, surprisingly called "snowboard mixes", that could go on for days though. By day 3 I end up putting them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Taylor Swift.

Taylor Swift.

Edgy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Ooh my favourite song. Goldie Lookin Chain, Your Mother's Got a Penis. Goes well with my piste rage, hahahaaa ;-)

fannymagee wrote: »
    Ooh my favourite song. Goldie Lookin Chain, Your Mother's Got a Penis. Goes well with my piste rage, hahahaaa ;-)

I had to google it, on the results page and I saw "Goldie Lookin Chain are a Welsh comedic rap music," and I had to close my browser window, as quickly as was humanly possible. :D

• Advertisement

cormee wrote: »
    I had to google it, on the results page and I saw "Goldie Lookin Chain are a Welsh comedic rap music," and I had to close my browser window, as quickly as was humanly possible. :D

Great first song for a wedding too ;-)

BTW I was joking. Just FYI. Dolly Parton all the way for me ;-)

Advertisement