Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cure for croup?

Options
  • 09-07-2011 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

anyone know of anyone with a cure for chest ailments like croup in or near letterkenny?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

will try & find out.. in the mean time, a steamy hot bowl of water with eucalyptus oil... alternatively, try sitting the child in a chair with a blanket around it, and place it right in front of an open freezor door. Cold air is effective apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

You don't mention the childs age?

Some young children don't like the steaming bowl treatment.
    Running a hot bath or shower, and sitting with your child in the steam filled room can help.

I don't know of anyone with a cure for the croup, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭GismoBaby

Noreen1 wrote: »
    You don't mention the childs age?

Some young children don't like the steaming bowl treatment.
    Running a hot bath or shower, and sitting with your child in the steam filled room can help.

I don't know of anyone with a cure for the croup, sorry.
    He is 3 and has had it 3 times in the last 2 years. Have done the steaming and bringing him for a spin in the car while its cold but he always ends up getting steroids and nebuliser and staying in hospital overnight. Was hoping someone mite know of a cure. Hate when he has to get pumped full of drugs.
    Thanks for replies so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 michelmo

think there's someone in Raphoe with a cure for it, not sure of the address but he's one of the O'Kane's, a seventh son of a seventh son, if that's any help

will try & find out.. in the mean time, a steamy hot bowl of water with eucalyptus oil... alternatively, try sitting the child in a chair with a blanket around it, and place it right in front of an open freezor door. Cold air is effective apparently.
    Oh will try the freezer 2nite! I knew about the cold air but never thought of the freezer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

When I was young they made the child walk behind a tar lorry where there were roadworks. Another one was a spin in an old 2 seater plane with no windows. I used to be made to sit in a steam filled bathroom. I remember the horrible cough and chocking feeling , but check for allergies too, because with me an allergy was making matters worse. In fact I had a second bout of 'croup' at 15, caused by mold. I still get a very tight chest and can barely breathe in moldy places.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,861 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I still get a very tight chest and can barely breathe in moldy places.
    Affects me the same

When I was young they made the child walk behind a tar lorry where there were roadworks. Another one was a spin in an old 2 seater plane with no windows. I used to be made to sit in a steam filled bathroom. I remember the horrible cough and chocking feeling , but check for allergies too, because with me an allergy was making matters worse. In fact I had a second bout of 'croup' at 15, caused by mold. I still get a very tight chest and can barely breathe in moldy places.
    Wow wonder where I'd find an old plane! Ya was wondering about allergies alright but there never seems to be any similarities between what he's been doing the day it kicks in or the day before. We haven't even been in the same house on either of the 3 occasions! It baffles me!

I do try and make steaming him as least traumatic as I can! I do bring a full kettle of water into his bedroom and just let it boil with the lid open till its nearly empty at least then he can stay lying in bed and I get a great facial in the process!

michelmo wrote: »
    think there's someone in Raphoe with a cure for it, not sure of the address but he's one of the O'Kane's, a seventh son of a seventh son, if that's any help
    Much appreciated will look into that. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bridk

anyone know of anyone with a cure for chest ailments like croup in or around Co Mayo? My boy is constantly getting it, hes had it 3 times now in two month, he will be two in March.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

With a cure? As in a gimmick?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

A doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,861 ✭✭✭✭muffler

bridk wrote: »
    anyone know of anyone with a cure for chest ailments like croup in or around Co Mayo? My boy is constantly getting it, hes had it 3 times now in two month, he will be two in March.
    Please post in the Mayo forum.

Cheers

Advertisement