Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Guardiola would be a excellent manager. The guy knows his tactics. Knows how to organise a side and how to positionally coach his players. I think the club needs a new manager. Have thought it for a while. New ideas, new fresh start and just new voices in the club.

New manager in

Steve Bould as assistant, some new coaches etc. 4-5 new senior players into the squad.

Barcelona are awful defensively. If a team can get the ball off their midfield they've a far better chance of scoring each time than against most teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Walcott is simply not good enough. Bags of pace but no first touch. Not a bit brave

We know how poor he is but if he busted his ass for the team he would be largly forgiven for his lack of talent.

I loved watching Ray Parlour, not overly talented but a work horse who ran his ass off every time he played. BLOODY FANTASTIC!

You just know he was gonna be a handful for the opposing LB/LM all game long. BLOODY FANTASTIC!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

amacachi wrote: »
    Barcelona are awful defensively. If a team can get the ball off their midfield they've a far better chance of scoring each time than against most teams.
    They are much more this season but in previous seasons they have done well defensively. But say Wenger does leave this summer, we could have Guardiola or Mourinho leaving both Barcelona and Real Madrid. Which one would you take?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

They are much more this season but in previous seasons they have done well defensively. But say Wenger does leave this summer, we could have Guardiola or Mourinho leaving both Barcelona and Real Madrid. Which one would you take?

personally i'd rather keep Wenger. If either of those were coming they would want plenty of money. i think Wenger should be given those same funds to spend.

if it was a choice between the 2 though it would have to be Mourinho. Guardiola is strictly a one man club and who knows how he would fare outside the environment he has been part of since he was 11. Mourinho knows the English game and has managed in many leagues in Europe. Bit of a no-brainer actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Wenger has to go in my opinion as there players arent performing for him anymore thats the bottom line.

• Advertisement

I think that's a bit of a generalisation to be honest. Yes there's been some dreadful performances this season, but there's also been some very good ones. Wednesday was appalling and embarrassing, but i think a knee-jerk reaction to that would be a bad idea.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

amacachi wrote: »

That has proven to be a bit of a problem for every team they play to be fair. 25mins gone the other night and Barca had 80% posession - away from home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

People are dreaming if they think either Pep would take the Arsenal job, especially if they end up outside the top 4.

1st: Why would Pep leave Barca? His 'new challenge' is winning the league back and refreshing the team ... which he's doing lots of this year and will no doubt want to continue.

2nd: Why would he come to Arsenal instead of another club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

gosplan wrote: »
    People are dreaming if they think either Pep would take the Arsenal job, especially if they end up outside the top 4.

1st: Why would Pep leave Barca? His 'new challenge' is winning the league back and refreshing the team ... which he's doing lots of this year and will no doubt want to continue.

2nd: Why would he come to Arsenal instead of another club?

Ya he'd be better off going to Chelsea, then when he doesn't win the league or CL in his first season he'll he sacked.

Would winning the league or champions league at Chelsea or MU be such a great achievement anyway.

I think Guardiola is the type of manager who would like to rebuild a once great club and Arsenal are a perfect match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

You could put Vidic or Nesta etc in our defence and we still would not defend properly. The midfield offers no protection and the back four is all over the place. Players are pushing up when they should drop off and vice versa. It is a mess tactically and that is down to one person. Arsene Wenger.

2001 called

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

One shot, two goals. Emirates last year.
    Wouldn't particularly want either manager, I've said before if Mourinho got near the club I would ignore the Premier League until he ****ed off.
    ShamoBuc wrote: »
    That has proven to be a bit of a problem for every team they play to be fair. 25mins gone the other night and Barca had 80% posession - away from home!
    Still stands though that their defence isn't great though when exposed at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

So what do ye reckon now that the anger has withdrawn a little, Outside of the obvious Walcott, Rosicky, Arshavin,Djouroue Chamakh, and few others all needing to be moved on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

greendom wrote: »

I dont agree with that article entirely. The whole 7 years without a trophy isnt the problem. Obviously id love nothing more than to see us pick up another Premier League title or our first ever European cup. My major problem is the lack of heart, balls, workrate of this squad. I can accept a lack of talent but not a lack of effort or workrate.

Last season we were in a title race until the whole team just capitulated in the last few months. Not learning from mistakes is another pet peeve of mine. A lot of the players are also overpaid imo and the lack of heart and effort from a lot of the players is just sickening to see.

I dont agree with that article entirely. The whole 7 years without a trophy isnt the problem. Obviously id love nothing more than to see us pick up another Premier League title or our first ever European cup. My major problem is the lack of heart, balls, workrate of this squad. I can accept a lack of talent but not a lack of effort or workrate.

Last season we were in a title race until the whole team just capitulated in the last few months. Not learning from mistakes is another pet peeve of mine. A lot of the players are also overpaid imo and the lack of heart and effort from a lot of the players is just sickening to see.

Yes those failings were all too evident on Wednesday but not 4 days before when we came from behind to beat Sunderland. I think I read a stat where we have won more games from losing positions this season than anyone else. That's not the sort of stat you would imagine for a team lacking in heart or balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Yes those failings were all too evident on Wednesday but not 4 days before when we came from behind to beat Sunderland. I think I read a stat where we have won more games from losing positions this season than anyone else. That's not the sort of stat you would imagine for a team lacking in heart or balls.

Yeah fair enough I can see that, but as we all know over the last few seasons that when it has come to the crunch moments in the particular seasons that we have fallen short. It will be interesting to see how the team copes when with 5 or 6 matches left in the season which will all be must win matches, which Arsenal shows up, because we have consistently buckled under pressure for quite a number of seasons.

Yeah fair enough I can see that, but as we all know over the last few seasons that when it has come to the crunch moments in the particular seasons that we have fallen short. It will be interesting to see how the team copes when with 5 or 6 matches left in the season which will all be must win matches, which Arsenal shows up, because we have consistently buckled under pressure for quite a number of seasons.

Yes that's fair enough too - a really tough set of fixtures coming up. Hopefully we can react in a good way to what happened on Wednesday and keep hold of that 4th place and make it to Wembley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Szczesny
    Sagna
    Djourou----Vermaelen---Coquelin
    Arteta----Ramsey
    Gervinho
    Arshavin
    Ox
    RVP

Would like to see us line up like that against Sunderland. Song is badly in need of a rest, you can see he's getting tired early in games, let him sit this one out and hopefully we'll see an improvement in his performances.

Arshavin is in there because at this stage surely it's worth a shot, no-one else we've played in that role has done a decent job this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Nice team Frisbee. Would like to see RVP rested too and perhaps give the Chamakh attack a starting place. Also think Djourou just isnt good enough, like to see him not play ever.

Also play Gibbs left back and bring Coquelin into the middle for Ramsey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I'd prefer to see Coquelin in the middle but Gibbs is so frail and breakable I think we really need to manage his games carefully as he's our only left back.

Ramsey or Rosicky could really play in the middle, doesn't matter which.

Having said all that though I reckon Gibbs, Fabianski, Song and Walcott will all start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Dercola

Frisbee wrote: »
    I'd prefer to see Coquelin in the middle but Gibbs is so frail and breakable I think we really need to manage his games carefully as he's our only left back.

Ramsey or Rosicky could really play in the middle, doesn't matter which.

Having said all that though I reckon Gibbs, Fabianski, Song and Walcott will all start.

Gibbs didn't travel up north, apparently due to a stiffness in his legs. Which is understandable, considering the Milan game was his first for 4 months.

So with Mert & Kosc out, it looks like it will be Coq at left back. Hopefully he'll get his go in center midfield soon enough.

Dercola wrote: »
    Gibbs didn't travel up north, apparently due to a stiffness in his legs. Which is understandable, considering the Milan game was his first for 4 months.

So with Mert & Kosc out, it looks like it will be Coq at left back. Hopefully he'll get his go in center midfield soon enough.

Did Squillaci travel ? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,198 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Did Squillaci travel ? :eek:

Hope not.
    Wonder will Miguel get on today instead of Djourou ?

I don't know why you find it hard to understand that different managers have different styles. There's not exactly an exact science that links shouting at your players on the pitch with success. You kind of prove that point by using McCarthy as an example.

Well Wenger had no problem kicking water bottles and standing with his arms raised in front of the Man Utd fans when sent from the sideline before. Is he a hermit now.

We could do without this lad trying to unsettle our good players too
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2102951/Robin-Van-Persie-urged-quit-Arsenal.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Well Wenger had no problem kicking water bottles and standing with his arms raised in front of the Man Utd fans when sent from the sideline before. Is he a hermit now.

You know that this conversation all started because when Wenger allegedly did show some serious passion and roar at the players, you simply said ...
    Sounds like desperation on his part to keep the fans off his back

gosplan wrote: »
    You know that this conversation all started because when Wenger allegedly did show some serious passion and roar at the players, you simply said ...

That was in the dressingroom after the game. I am talking about why he didn't shout during it to try and get them to show a bit of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Really hope we see coq in the middle today think he deserves his chance there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Ryo starts for Bolton

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Ryo's scored a goal, decent one too according to radio.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement