Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

high hamstring tendinopathy

• 19-08-2014 8:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Recently i had an MRI in Santry to confirm that i'm currently suffering from HHT, probably brought about from doing do much mileage & weak core.

i have 2 strengthening exercises to do but i find no improvement a month later, even took 2 full week off running:mad:
    i got advised to drop mileage & that i can run the marathon easy but then stop completely & get PRP injection.

has anyone here suffered from this?
    how long did it take to recover?
    did the PRP injection speed up recovery?
    anyone jog/run a marathon with it?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭terminator74

jfh wrote: »
    Hi All,

Recently i had an MRI in Santry to confirm that i'm currently suffering from HHT, probably brought about from doing do much mileage & weak core.

i have 2 strengthening exercises to do but i find no improvement a month later, even took 2 full week off running:mad:
    i got advised to drop mileage & that i can run the marathon easy but then stop completely & get PRP injection.

has anyone here suffered from this?
    how long did it take to recover?
    did the PRP injection speed up recovery?
    anyone jog/run a marathon with it?

thanks

I have had this issue since the end of XC season in March. Its only now it seems to be recovering. This was more to do the lack of consistency in doing the strengthening exercises. I was in and out of running for the last 6 months. Anytime I increased mileage I felt the ache and soreness post run and particularly in the morning and at the start of a run the following day. I have been putting some time into a series of core and weights sessions and I am seeing the benefits now. These include goblet squats, weighted push ups, dead leg lifts and stiff leg lifts and bridge work (but these are under instruction from a physio). Initially I had to work on Nordic drops which without the gym equipment didn't work for me.
    I cant advise you on whether to run a marathon with this condition but I was in bits running 6-8 miles when I wasn't' putting the work into the strengthening. I have had a PRP injection befoire but not for this. Its not a quick recovery but you can still run to a point if you are doing the necessary exercises. I can PM you my physio if you want - they are very focused on strength training and might give you more options than the two exercises you are currently doing; best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭jfh

terminator74 thanks for taking the time out to reply.
    i went to santry & saw Dr Falvey, but didn't make the most of the appointment, very impressed with him, but it was only when i was on the road home that all the questions came to me.

it's actually a relief to hear of someone that has gone though it, it's hard to explain to someone that it's worse after sitting down all day but i can go for an easy run without any effects.

i will have a look at those strengthening exercises.
    i plan on doing the marathon, the plan is to go out easy and see if i can pick it up.
    i was going really well, never got so fit but nothing out of all the work, no PB's as the two races i ran weren't bang on distance.

thanks again, appreciate the feedback

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

jfh - I had some hamstring issues before I ran Düsseldorf back in April. In hindsight I shouldn't have ran it, never mind racing it, but I did and after halfway I broke down to a slow pace and then one of the worst death marches through to the finish. I was in bits after that and had big issues in the following months. I'm just about over the injury but am now seriously unfit! :-(

My issues started as pain behind the knee and at the top of the calf. I wasn't sure what this was but put it down to ITBS. I went to SSC (I live just across the road from it) and got diagnosed as having tight hamstrings and given a couple of basic exercises. These did nothing for me and the pain got worse, but I also started feeling it in the middle of the hammer. It wasn't until a few weeks after Düsseldorf that I read up about hamstring tendinopathy (ignore the sales bit lower down but the initial diagnoses are pretty accurate for me) and realised this was the issue. I tried running through the recovery but kept breaking down until giving it a couple of weeks rest and since then it's been ok.

@ Terminator74 - Would you PM me those exercises if you don't mind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Ditto here, had something similar many moons ago. Ran 2 marathons easy on it. Physio, exercises etc but it didn't resolve until i got the injection and no running for 6 weeks not one step I think that's the key to fixing it no running whatsoever.

Advertisement