Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wearing medal on different uniform

• 18-03-2012 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

Hey,

Just a question that me,my dad and uncle had a chat over.

So ive got my 7 year medal for being in the RDF(11 years).but now
    ive just been offered a position in the british army.

So the question is.am i allowed to wear my medal on brits no 1's.

My uncle seems to think that there is a rule that all countries have
    a policy that if u earn ur medal then u can wear.

Anyone got any idea?

Sean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

In the Irish Army, medals from foreign forces can be worn on the other side of the tunic. I presume the British have similar rules. Someone here will probably know for sure and answer you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Don't know myself but I would be proud to wear that ribbon on my uniform. One of my biggest regrets is that I just missed out on that particular medal. Whatever the country I was serving. If you accept the position. I would definitely ask for permission.

I do think the Brits are amenable to that kind of thing. They have in the past allowed foreign medals, notably the Croix de Guerre. You can ask. If it was allowed I would be so proud to explain it to people wondering at the strange ribbon on your chest.

I hope they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

I can't give a definite answer but common sense would presume you're allowed wear it. Considering the most recent 2 wars of British involvement have been fought alongside large coalition forces (ISAF / MNF-I) there were a fair few cases of foreign armies awarding medals to British soldiers. Considering their allied medals, I can only imagine them being allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Well do the RDF allow other forces medals?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

RMD wrote: »
    I can't give a definite answer but common sense would presume you're allowed wear it. Considering the most recent 2 wars of British involvement have been fought alongside large coalition forces (ISAF / MNF-I) there were a fair few cases of foreign armies awarding medals to British soldiers. Considering their allied medals, I can only imagine them being allowed.

Don't be surprised if there is a rule stating that foreign medals may only be worn if awarded when in the current army's service.

There's presumably a reg to be found, somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

From what I can find you need permission from the Queen to wear a foreign medal while serving with the British army...
    It seems that even British soldiers awarded medals the Americans cant wear them it the medal is below the Bronze Star ...

there are a few threads on arrse about the same question...

http://www.arrse.co.uk/pay-claims-jpa/10424-wearing-foreign-medals.html

http://www.arrse.co.uk/pay-claims-jpa/124179-can-british-soldiers-wear-us-army-medals-if-awarded.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

RMD wrote: »

Not according to this serving soldier..
    You can accept what you like - the troops in GW1 were all awarded the various Kuwaiti war and liberation medals - they can't wear them. I have an EU medal and a NATO medal that I cannot wear because of other rulings. That's the way it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

Bravery awards are usually allowed but not other types, and good luck with your career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭Doctor14

The regs are quite clear - only those Irish, UN, EU & NATO medals that are listed in DFR A9 may be worn.
    There is nothing anywhere allowing any type of medal be worn on the right side of the uniform (the only exception being pipers on ceremonial occasions as their uniforms don't allow medals to be worn on the left side).
    There is a board sitting reviewing the Regs but I would expect little in the way of changes as regard what medals are worn and how.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

In the Irish Army, medals from foreign forces can be worn on the other side of the tunic.

Incorrect!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

In the Irish Army, medals from foreign forces can be worn on the other side of the tunic.

The inside, maybe ;-)

Advertisement