Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Times Article on Running: Toe vs. Heel

Options
  • 17-08-2014 8:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

I found this article very interesting

well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/10/16/pounding-pavement-by-heel-or-toe/?v=1

tl;dr:
    In essence, the findings show that you can’t escape the cumulative impact of running, however you stride, said Juha-Pekka Kulmala, a Ph.D. student, now at the University of Jyvaskyla, who led the study. Hit with your heels and you stress your knee, possibly leading to conditions such as patellofemoral stress syndrome. Strike near the ball of your foot and you’ll jolt your ankle and Achilles’ tendon, potentially increasing the risk of such injuries as Achilles’ tendinopathy, plantar fasciitis, and stress fractures of the foot.

There is, in other words, no one invariably right and painless way to run.

However, Mr. Kulmala said, the results also indicate that strategically altering how you land could be advisable for some runners. “People suffering from knee problems can benefit from forefoot striking,” Mr. Kulmala said. “Those who have Achilles’ tendon complaints can benefit from rearfoot striking.”

I've definitely found that when I run outdoors my gait varies quite a bit from front to back. I've noticed that I drag my right foot when I get tired, and slip back into over-pronating, so the best option for me seems to start forward and to lift my stride later on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

Juha-Pekka Kulmala, a Ph.D. student!!!!!

Not a doctor or a professional with decades of experience. I'd trust a local club runner with years of experience on the road than a Ph.D student.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

topcat77 wrote: »
    Juha-Pekka Kulmala, a Ph.D. student!!!!!

Not a doctor or a professional with decades of experience. I'd trust a local club runner with years of experience on the road than a Ph.D student.

The study was published in a peer reviewed journal with a very high impact factor for the sports science area. The point here is that this study would have been reviewed by doctors or a professionals within the research field with decades of experience and they gave it their ok. Maybe try reading the study before just disregarding it out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Maybe he is a local club runner with years of experience!

The study was published in a peer reviewed journal with a very high impact factor for the sports science area. The point here is that this study would have been reviewed by doctors or a professionals within the research field with decades of experience and they gave it their ok. Maybe try reading the study before just disregarding it out of hand.

I work in the education sector and work very closely with Ph.d students from the physical science background. These published papers (peer reviewed) in a journal are meant to created discussion and argument within a given specialized field. Not quoted as a given fact!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

topcat77 wrote: »
    I work in the education sector and work very closely with Ph.d students from the physical science background. These published papers (peer reviewed) in a journal are meant to created discussion and argument within a given specialized field. Not quoted as a given fact!

Its not quoted as a given fact, the NY times article even says that a new study "suggesting that each style of running has advantages and drawbacks". How can it provoke discussion if somebody like you disregards it automatically because the source is a phd student.

• Advertisement

Its not quoted as a given fact, the NY times article even says that a new study "suggesting that each style of running has advantages and drawbacks". How can it provoke discussion if somebody like you disregards it automatically because the source is a phd student.

Ok, Sorry Monday morning head i shouldn't disregard the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,726 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I would have thought that this was known. Running isn't meant to be pain free. Different methods may bring better relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

walshb wrote: »
    I would have thought that this was known. Running isn't meant to be pain free. Different methods may bring better relief.

and, like pretty much everything else in running the results will be very anecdotal, impossible to prove one way or the other, and lead to massive debate with avid supporters on both sides of the argument.

Advertisement