Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are foreigners treated by other recruits?

Options
  • 21-03-2012 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

I'm foreign , I've been living in Ireland for close to 10 years and I'm thinking of joining the army when the recruitment opens up again. What I want to know is how are foreigners treated by other recruits in general in the army? is there a lot of racism or discrimination of sorts? I'm white if that makes any diffenrence.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Hi,

I'm foreign , I've been living in Ireland for close to 10 years and I'm thinking of joining the army when the recruitment opens up again. What I want to know is how are foreigners treated by other recruits in general in the army? is there a lot of racism or discrimination of sorts? I'm white if that makes any diffenrence.

thanks in advance

You will be grand, no more a ribbing you would get if you were from cork! :D

Racism would be dealt with fairly quick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 podgenrodge69

You will be grand, no more a ribbing you would get if you were from cork! :D

Racism would be dealt with fairly quick

haha great, thanks for the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

Local-Womanizer is right dude. There's not much time for that kind of bull in the Irish Army.. and if you do experience it your'e given the means to easily have it dealt with.

In recruit training ye will all be one team going through the same hardship. Doesn't matter where your'e originally from.

Don't worry about it. Go for it! By and large the Irish Army can actually boast a very fair work place when it comes to that sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

We have had many "foreigners" in the last number of years.

Black guys
    Chinese decent Guys
    German born guys
    Dutch born guys
    South African born guys
    British born guys
    I think there might be a Mexican born guy there too.

I have yet to hear a racist comment while training recruits. There is a huge amount of stick thrown around alright, its part of adjusting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Ive heard we even let corkonians in nowadays? some of them dont even have passports!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 317 ✭✭Turbine

benwavner wrote: »
    We have had many "foreigners" in the last number of years.

Black guys
    Chinese decent Guys
    German born guys
    Dutch born guys
    South African born guys
    British born guys
    I think there might be a Mexican born guy there too.

I have yet to hear a racist comment while training recruits. There is a huge amount of stick thrown around alright, its part of adjusting.

There were even 3 Maltese cadets in the last cadet class:

6966448787_e0495b80e3_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

You'll be slagged and abused constantly.
    Just like everyone else!
    As long as you have a sense of humor and it's only in jest you have nothing to worry about, the army has probably the strongest policy and procedures to eliminate racism/sexism of any employer in Ireland, one of the very first lectures you'll receive makes it crystal clear that bullying/discrimination will not be tolerated and any recruit who engages in it will find themselves on the wrong side of the gate fairly rapidly.

Count your blessings you're not from Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭00MARTZ00

im only speaking from an rdf point of view but there was a romanian lad in my recruit platoon. chap was treated no different by us or the nco's got slagged as much as the rest of us and got on with the work like the rest of us. we all became good buddies. it wont matter where your from mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Well I doubt if you'll be as badly treated as a Dubliner joining a Cork Battalion. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

If it's anything like my experience in the British Army, the banter will be ninety. Although hearing "POTATO" 90+ times a day does get boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

discus wrote: »
    If it's anything like my experience in the British Army, the banter will be ninety. Although hearing "POTATO" 90+ times a day does get boring.

I had to live with this even when I moved to Dublin... :pac:

Advertisement