Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Video Sender

• 21-01-2005 7:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

[Sorry if this is the wrong forum, feel free to move.]

I need to move my TV to the other side of my room, however the room isn't really suited to extending the Sky cable across there. I'm thinking a video sender might be the answer, but the product descriptions are confusing -- for example one product on Amazon says that you plug the transmitter into the TV, and the signal will be transmitted to another TV.

I want to plug the Sky box into the transmitter, and the receiver into the TV on the other side of the room. I also want to link in my VCR and DVD, which will be on the same side of the room as the TV. (The TV has two SCART sockets?) I'm presuming this can be done but I don't want to take any chances so I said I'd ask here first. Not much of an AV geek tbh.

Also, any recommendations for video senders? There's a couple on Amazon (see below) but they have estimated delivery or 1-2 weeks - I'm kind of in a hurry - and tbh they're a bit more expensive that I was expecting; although this is a minor concern, I'd prefer to pay more if it means a better quality signal.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000093TCI
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000068TYR

Speaking of quality, when we're talking about just across a room, will the quality be as good as the original?

adam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭clarkbelt

" One for all " video senders work fine , two models , one with one av input and one with two inputs .

They come in pairs ,transmit & receive .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

digi-eye

Aldi sold them a bit ago. Think they are also in Argos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Ulsterman 1690

Lidl were doing them before Christmas for £30 (€50 ?)

BTW despite their name "digisenders" use an Analouge (FM @ 2.45 GHz) signal so dont pay over the odds just because it claims to be "digital"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

dahamsta wrote:
    I want to plug the Sky box into the transmitter, and the receiver into the TV on the other side of the room. I also want to link in my VCR and DVD, which will be on the same side of the room as the TV. (The TV has two SCART sockets?) I'm presuming this can be done but I don't want to take any chances so I said I'd ask here first. Not much of an AV geek tbh.

Also, any recommendations for video senders? There's a couple on Amazon (see below) but they have estimated delivery or 1-2 weeks - I'm kind of in a hurry - and tbh they're a bit more expensive that I was expecting; although this is a minor concern, I'd prefer to pay more if it means a better quality signal.
    To get everything (i.e. VCR,DVD and SKY) you need an arrangement such as the following:

VCR->DVD->SKY->Digisender (where -> = plugged into)

In other words, one physical cable going to the Digisender. I have the above arrangement (apart from the VCR) and I use a Digisender. It takes the output of the Sky box (via a Scart cable) and splits it. One portion goes to the TV, the other to the Sender unit. Of course in your case, you won't have the TV bit, the TV will be at the other end of the Receiver.

Speaking of quality, when we're talking about just across a room, will the quality be as good as the original?
    My Digisender is about 4 years old and there is an ever so slight decrease in quality. Not sue how the more up to date units are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭wolfe25

Bought 2 from Lidl before Xmas. They work OK situated in different rooms of house. There's a reduction in picture quality, but not alot. Also, if someone walks in the line of vision of sender and receiver, the picture is effected.
    The remote control operation is also a bit finickey, but shouldn't be a problem with the stb and tv in same room.
    If you don't want cables you may have to sacrifice some quality for aesthetics.
    Too bad you can't wait because Lidl and Aldi offer very keen prices when they have them on offer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Streete

Kind of related problem and maybe should have started a new thread so apologies if I am not following the correct protocol.

I was wondering if any senders existed that would distribute a standard analogue signal from a TV aerial for RTE etc around a house. I want to avoid cabling. I do not have an existing aerial or wiring in the house except for Sky. Most of the wifes prog's are on Sky but tend to clash with sports etc so having an Irish aerial feed around the house seperate to Sky would be great.

One solution I was thinking of was setting up an aerial in the attic, then drop some coax from the attic to an upstairs bedroom and then feeding through an old video attached to a digisender with a magic eye and "broadcasting" from this point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Anyone running the Philips "Wireless TV Link"? Prolly buying one from Argos this avvo so quick sharp if you please. :)

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ixtlan

Streete, regarding using a digisender to send an aerial feed, I'm pretty sure this is impossible. That would be like setting up your own repeater station. The digisenders could not cope with that kind of data level. They are just designed to send one video signal/channel. Your idea about using a video as a tuner to pick channels sounds good. Should work fine, though it is a complicated way of doing things.

Dahamsta, the new Argos catalogue has some cheap video-senders for just under €50. Not sure what the quality is like but it shouldn't take too much effort to send across the room. I have both the Lidl ones and the original Argos ones. The Lidl ones are very good, but who knows when they will be offered again.

Some other comments though. The signal quality from the digisenders is good, but it is degraded from the original, especially if you have a large TV, and have used the RGB setting on the digibox (digisender is composite only). I'm fussy of course but if it was me I'd think hard about how to get that cable across the room. Could you drill a hole through an exterior wall near the new location?

Ix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭slegs

i agree...I have a digisender for sending Sky+ upstairs (already have multiroom there so it is just so I can watch recordings in bed!)

The quality is watchable - pretty close to regular RF signal.

But if you are talking about your primary box then you really should find some way of getting scart to your TV to get the excellent quality RGB signal....it really is so much better and worth the effort

Hmmm, my digibox is set on PAL, what does that mean? (I know PAL is the European video standard, but what's it mean when my digibox is set on it?)

There's no way to get the Sky cable across the room without having an ugly black cable running around between the ceiling and the wall.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Streete

ixtlan wrote:
    Streete, regarding using a digisender to send an aerial feed, I'm pretty sure this is impossible. That would be like setting up your own repeater station. The digisenders could not cope with that kind of data level. They are just designed to send one video signal/channel. Your idea about using a video as a tuner to pick channels sounds good. Should work fine, though it is a complicated way of doing things.

Ix.

Many thanks for the info ixtlan. :)

I think I'll go ahead and buy one anyway, it'd be handy to plug a receiver into my rig for the news anyway.

adam

Advertisement