Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tax refunds for teachers

• 04-02-2015 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi,
    I was just looking at the revenue website and teachers have an allowance of around 500 euro for the year for resources and also the teaching council fee is tax deductible. Do we have to claim this back or is it already built into our tax credits? How could I go about claiming it back? I've definitely spent more than this on classroom stuff.
    Thanks for the advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Ring revenue about it they will sort it over phone and you can claim back last 4 years also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

What's the actual name of the allowance does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Not2Good

I believe that they are 'Employee Expenses' Deduction, Revenues website has the 2014 amounts, amounts depend on seniority (i.e. a Principal) and post (full time/ part-time positions)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Flat rate teachers allowance and teaching council allowance. Not sure is that the official name but it's enough to know to ring them. The woman on the phone knew what I was looking for without me even saying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Not2Good wrote: »
    Cut and paced from Revenue Website - 2014 - They are 'Employee Expenses' Deduction

Teachers
    Teachers [excluding guidance counsellors, third-level academic staff and physical education teachers]
    School principals 608
    Other teachers 518
    Part-time teacher (on full hours) 518
    Part-time (not on full hours) 279
    Guidance Counsellors
    (a) employed full-time in second level schools 518
    (b) engaged mainly in teaching general subjects but also doing part-time guidance counselling (additional allowance) 126
    Third level academic staff
    Professor, Heads of Schools/Departments 608
    Senior lecturer 518
    College lecturer 518
    Assistant lecturer 518
    Part-time lecturer (on full hours)
    Part-time lecturer (not on full hours)
    Physical education teachers
    (a) fully engaged in teaching P.E. 518
    (b) engaged mainly in teaching general subjects but also doing part-time P.E. (additional allowance) 126

Sorry I actually meant the name of it on your tax credit form but I googled it :)

For anyone wondering it gets marked as 'flat rate expenses'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Not2Good

Great, all sorted!

Advertisement