Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Wanted Please Mobo problem

Options
  • 28-09-2009 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi, I have a pc here that I am fixing for a friend and I wanted to ask a question before i change anything. OK Heres the spec

MOBO: asus P5GD1-FM/s
    PROCESSOR: Petiunm 4
    VGA: ? Simple enough one
    MEMORY: DDR2 512MB
    HD: Seagate 250GB

Right heres the problem.
    It powers up put dosent send a signal to the moniter. Processor fan speeds up at first then slows down then is followed by 2 beeps.I have reason to believe that it is a Mobo problem because when I first looked at it the two pins that hold down one of the heatsinks on the intel 915P MCH chips were off. It probably overheated causing them to come loose. Which probably means the chip itself is fried. I fixed the pins but still no joy.
    Just wanted a second opinion before I buy a new mobo for it
    Thanks
    Thomas:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Is there appropriate cooling gel?

Before you return the board check the manual for the board so you know exactly what the beeps refer to. Sometimes different manufacturers have different errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Smallcats wrote: »
    Hi, I have a pc here that I am fixing for a friend and I wanted to ask a question before i change anything. OK Heres the spec

MOBO: asus P5GD1-FM/s
    PROCESSOR: Petiunm 4
    VGA: ? Simple enough one
    MEMORY: DDR2 512MB
    HD: Seagate 250GB

Right heres the problem.
    It powers up put dosent send a signal to the moniter. Processor fan speeds up at first then slows down then is followed by 2 beeps.I have reason to believe that it is a Mobo problem because when I first looked at it the two pins that hold down one of the heatsinks on the intel 915P MCH chips were off. It probably overheated causing them to come loose. Which probably means the chip itself is fried. I fixed the pins but still no joy.
    Just wanted a second opinion before I buy a new mobo for it
    Thanks
    Thomas:)

Those P4's are tough so don't count it out.2 beeps on an Asus board generally mean a failed motherboard.But it also happens if you change a processor.Although it will only happen once if you change your processor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Smallcats

I looked for what the 2 beeps mean and couldn't find out downloaded manual and all. Would it not work without the gel? The lad im fixing it for said the screen started to flicker before it would die and now it dosent start up at all now so maybe he kept using with the heatsink off and melted the chip. It does have a small cooling fan at the side but when I opened the case everything was covered in dust. Wouldn say it got much air.

I looked for what the 2 beeps mean and couldn't find out downloaded manual and all. Would it not work without the gel? The lad im fixing it for said the screen started to flicker before it would die and now it dosent start up at all now so maybe he kept using with the heatsink off and melted the chip. It does have a small cooling fan at the side but when I opened the case everything was covered in dust. Wouldn say it got much air.

Without the ''gel'' (I think you mean thermal paste) it would work for a very short time before it turns itself off.If he was rebooting then chance's are he fried it.

Well,do you have another motherboard that you could try the P4 in ?
    At least you could then narrow your problem down to the motherboard

Just tested the P4 and its working. Its not the DRR2 memory cause when I take it out it gives me 2 Beeps followed by another Beep and repeats. But when I put the HD out of the working pc into the faulty one it does the same thing but when I put the HD from the faulty pc into the working one the P4 fan speeds up and keeps climbing. Could that mean faulty HD caused mobo to heat up and melt?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Yes an overheating CPU can kill the mobo but it would be rare, in fact not seen it in a few years.

Google Images of Blown Motherboard Capacitors and compare with the one you are fixing, its just another mobo issue you need to be aware of.

Also no one asked the magic question..... did it ever work? Just checking as people tend not to tell you that sort of thing when they've just bought a heap of junk and then pass it on to you to fix.

btw is it worth buying a new mobo for that system, you'd get a complete P4 HT box with at least a gig of RAM etc on eBay for well under 100euro

Just tested the P4 and its working. Its not the DRR2 memory cause when I take it out it gives me 2 Beeps followed by another Beep and repeats. But when I put the HD out of the working pc into the faulty one it does the same thing but when I put the HD from the faulty pc into the working one the P4 fan speeds up and keeps climbing. Could that mean faulty HD caused mobo to heat up and melt?

Nope,your motherboard would never get hot that it would fail.Just sounds like your motherboard gave up the ghost to be honest.if its only for a basic PC you can replace the board with something cheap

Yes it was working. jus used it for basic stuff. mobo is goin to cost around 50euro to replace he wouldn really care how fast it would be jus as long as it works. So Im left with a possible faulty HD or Processor with a fried mobo. damn the only thing I can do is buy the new mobo and see from there. One last question. Cause I changed one HD from one pc to the other would there be any other reason why the HD from the faulty pc would speed up the processor fan on the working pc?

One last question. Cause I changed one HD from one pc to the other would there be any other reason why the HD from the faulty pc would speed up the processor fan on the working pc?

NO

Thought so. So does that means the HD is faulty?

• Advertisement

http://cgi.ebay.ie/WOW-Fujitsu-Siemens-Esprimo-E5700-Pentium4HT-Computer_W0QQitemZ270441923137

or

http://cgi.ebay.ie/TOP-SPEC-Dell-Optiplex-GX620-Pentium-4-Computer_W0QQitemZ270455076757

100euro delivered

how much is a cheap mobo?

btw no connection with the seller above.

Also test the RAM as you can't assume anything at this stage.

Testes ram its ok. There cheap but I might jus get a cheap mobo for it. Cheers for the help.

Another question while were on the subject. When I install the new mobo will I need to reinstall xp?

Sorry missed that while I was posting.

Try the PC with NO HDD, just mobo, PSU, CPU (+heatsink and fan) + memory and Graphics card (or inbuilt if thats what you got).

It should at least go to POST and allow you to get into the BIOS (if you also attached a keyboard)

Its not getting to post at all. monitor jus goes into standby

Testes ram its ok. There cheap but I might jus get a cheap mobo for it. Cheers for the help.

Another question while were on the subject. When I install the new mobo will I need to reinstall xp?

You may.And if its a different model motherboard than the original the serial code may no longer be valid.I got that when I changed processor

Jus ordered this one

https://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=485693

Hopefully it will do the job

Deano12345 wrote: »
    You may.And if its a different model motherboard than the original the serial code may no longer be valid.I got that when I changed processor

With XP...

Same make and model mobo - if your lucky will work and won't even need re-Activating.

Diff mobo but same chipset - often works and will most likely require reactivating

Diff mobo same make of chipset but not exact same chipset - sometimes will work with some tweaks but more likey will need complete reinstall

Diff mobo competely diff chipset - just reinstall.

I found one on ebay but its second hand so I didnt get. Does it cost anything to reactivate?

Reactivating is no big issue. You might have to do it manually and phone a number you get given on the activation screen (free number) and then after going through automated reactivation which may fail you'll finally get to a real person then you explain the thing went tits up and you've replaced the mobo and they'll give you a new activation number. Very easy. No cost. Its just to stop the same key being used loads of times. I've reactivated one key three times in as many months (memory issue) and no problems.

Anyway if you paid for the software and have a genuine key just follow the instructions to activate the software if you reinstall it. Changing major components at a certain point requires reactivation.

• Advertisement

Thanks You have been a big help. Hope your man still has the disc to reinstall

Advertisement