Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How can i get WMP to show visual? Should i download K-Lite?

• 28-09-2009 3:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question...i'm trying to play a movie (AVI) on my laptop (downloaded from internet off desktop and opened on laptop from usb) through Windows Media Player.(OS = Vista)...it'll play the movie but all i'm getting is the audio with no visual?

After doing a bit of research it seems i might need to download some codec thing and from what i can make out something called K-Lite seems to be a good option.

So i suppose my question is twofold - do i need to download a codec or is the lack of visual sorted some other way(which would be great as i'm not crazy about downloading anything more than i have to on the laptop)?

or...if i do need the codec thing has anyone here used K-Lite and if so would it be safe or should i be looking at another option?

Thanks
    DF

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Download and install THIS and it should sort out your problem and play pretty much anything that you throw at Media Player from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,463 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Better still download vlcplayer and use that...miles better and all codecs are included already.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭DrFroggies

Thanks folks - so you're saying K-lite wouldn't be advisable?

Is there any way to check the safety and reliability of the various options (including the ones you guys mentioned)? Is there an official codec approval body or anything like that or are they all unregulated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

DrFroggies wrote: »
    Thanks folks - so you're saying K-lite wouldn't be advisable?

Is there any way to check the safety and reliability of the various options (including the ones you guys mentioned)? Is there an official codec approval body or anything like that or are they all unregulated?

K-Lite is grand. I just prefer the Vista Codec Pack for use on Vista with Media Player.

If you specifically want to stay using WMP then download a codec pack. If you don't mind changing the player you use then VLC can be a good choice.

Not too sure about the regulation of Codecs, but the main company for avi files would be DivX.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,167 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Media Player classic is a great video playback tool and it comes with k-lite. It is my first preference.

WMP has owed itself less and less of a video player for several years now. And correct: it has virtually never been able to support .avi out of the box, causing me dozens of headaches and probably millions more the world over. Shameful really.

• Advertisement
Advertisement