Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

viewing burned dvds

Options
  • 22-09-2009 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

Im trying to burn some movies i have on my laptop onto dvds.
    But when i put the dvd into my dvd player, "unknown disc" comes up.
    I've tried a few different discs now and all the same.
    It's not my dvd player because i can view discs other people have burned. I must just be doing something wrong. Can anyone help me out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

You should be asking what you're doing wrong when you burn them. Generally you have to format the disk and write it in such a way that it's an actual dvd not just a copied avi file. How are you attempting this?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

What burner?
    What settings/format?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭wobzilla

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

i've just been dragging and dropping them onto the dvd folder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

Yes that's exactly what not to do (as my first post said about the avi). You need to use a program. Try the one posted earlier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,851 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

drag and drop treats it like a file. your dvd player doesnt read it like that at all, it needs to read it as raw video. burning software will take care of the conversion if done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Alternatively, if you want to avoid having to do this transcoding each time you burn a disc (it takes time, and you won't fit nearly as much onto a disc as you're getting now), you can get a DVD player that can read from the file and play onto your TV. Look for "DivX DVD player", they're not too expensive. Here's one: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=227101

• Registered Users Posts: 81,851 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

DivX kinda went under, format wise. you wont always get files in it either. most i run across are avi or mpeg4, though there are plenty of wmas and yeah the odd divx. it should support several formats if going that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Thanks for yer help guys i got the videos working using those programmes.
    sorry for my ignorance, but i have one more question!
    When i put them on i only fit one video on a disk but i have seen disks of the same size with 4 or 5 videos on it. Do you know how i can do this?
    Thanks for yer help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Overheal wrote: »
    DivX kinda went under, format wise. you wont always get files in it either. most i run across are avi or mpeg4, though there are plenty of wmas and yeah the odd divx. it should support several formats if going that route.
    Jesus Christ, do a bit of research. AVI is a container format, where the video may be encoded with DivX, which is a type of MPEG4 codec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

snappieT wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, do a bit of research.

SnappieT, no questions needed about where you got the username.

Relax there matey, lifes too short to be getting stressed out over little mistakes here and there.

Advertisement