Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sick leave or personal leave for sub covering maternity contract

• 30-01-2015 11:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I am curently covering a maternity leave contract and applied for a personal day in my school but Principal told me as I am a sub teacher I just get paid when I work so if I need a personal day I can take it but just won't get paid. He also threw into the equation that likewise if I'm sick I won't get paid.

Can anyone else let me know if this is the case?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Jane98 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am curently covering a maternity leave contract and applied for a personal day in my school but Principal told me as I am a sub teacher I just get paid when I work so if I need a personal day I can take it but just won't get paid. He also threw into the equation that likewise if I'm sick I won't get paid.

Can anyone else let me know if this is the case?

Hi Jane,

This is correct - as a sub teacher you are only entitled to be paid for the classes that you actually teach. If you miss them, even through illness, then you miss out on the money because they will give someone else paid cover to take your classes.

Some Principals might use the S&S rota to cover you, thereby not needing to pay someone else, but this is not the correct protocol and there is no volition on them to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

sitstill wrote: »
    Hi Jane,

This is correct - as a sub teacher you are only entitled to be paid for the classes that you actually teach. If you miss them, even through illness, then you miss out on the money because they will give someone else paid cover to take your classes.

Some Principals might use the S&S rota to cover you, thereby not needing to pay someone else, but this is not the correct protocol and there is no volition on them to do this.

Ok, so if this is indeed correct, I have taken on the teacher's s&s duties without payment so should I have been paid for them, when I was actually called up?

Ok, so if this is indeed correct, I have taken on the teacher's s&s duties without payment so should I have been paid for them, when I was actually called up?

If you are doing the S&S duty of the teacher you are replacing, i.e. her yard duty or being called-up for S&S rota classes, you will not be paid for this - as since Haddington Rd, none of us get paid for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭smallgarden

If your maternity leave contract is a non casual part time contract you have a sick leave entitlement. It's on astis website. I also contacted post primary payroll and they confirmed this. They're quite helpful.I'm not sure how it works for a personal day. I don't know about s&s. I'm covering a maternity leave and don't do the teachers s&s. My understanding is those who are permanent or on rpt contracts have to do s&s but that's it. I've a set number of hours every week from last September to march.

In addition, my exam classes are currently doing pres so should I be paid for the classes I normally have teaching them or not?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In addition, my exam classes are currently doing pres so should I be paid for the classes I normally have teaching them or not?

Are you not supervising them while doing their exams? That's usually what happens and then you get paid for the 'classes' spent supervising exams.

spurious wrote: »
    Are you not supervising them while doing their exams? That's usually what happens and then you get paid for the 'classes' spent supervising exams.

What Spurious said.

spurious wrote: »

Some but not all.

Some but not all.

Well then in that case you'd be best to check it with your P or DP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭smallgarden

If covering maternity you're probably on a set weekly amount of hours, most likely on a non casual part time contract.The school will be getting these hours for the person on maternity leave so you should be paid these hours every week. If your class is not there e.g. Trip, mocks etc then you can be asked to cover other classes at that time. In the case of the mocks you should still be paid your normal week
    If it's only covering short term, a few weeks, you may be treated as a substitute teacher where you only get paid for the classes you actually teach.

This article explains that those on fixed term contract should be treated same as permanent staff so if permanent staff get paid as normal for mocks then why wouldn't non casual teachers too.
    http://www.jmb.ie/299-uncategorised/2571-addendum-to-fixed-term-contracts-for-maternity-leave-sick-leave-adoptive-leave

• Advertisement

Smallgarden is right. If you are covering a maternity leave contract you are classes as a non-casual part time teacher. This means that you cannot be treated any less favourably than permanent colleagues in this time. If your class are not there, you are supposed to be paid regardless, as you have a fixed term contract for the duration of the maternity leave. Check ASTI website. http://www.asti.ie/pay-and-conditions/non-permanent-teachers/what-contract-do-you-have/non-casual-part-time-teacher/ If you're not already in a union you should join one and ask the union rep to check with the principal.

Another question for you knowledgeable boardies -

Should I have been given a specific contract of employment for the maternity leave cover? I am 7 weeks in and all I have received to date is a letter of appointment.

Should I have been given a specific contract of employment for the maternity leave cover? I am 7 weeks in and all I have received to date is a letter of appointment.

Not sure what the actual law is on it but I did maternity leave cover in 2012-13 and was given a proper contract.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

I don't think you should be doing the teacher's S&S duties. Those are part of her contract that she signed up for. You are paid per hour to teach the subject. I'd check that out if I were you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Under employment legislation, you are entitled to a written contract and must get it within two months of starting your job

Advertisement