Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ECTS Credits for teaching

Options
  • 04-02-2015 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I did environmental science in UL as I was unsure if I wanted to do teaching with the idea I could decide and do a h dip afterward. Since I graduated the teaching council have changed the amount of credits needed in a given subject. I am now short 18 credits for chemistry and biology. How is the best way to earn the credits I need? I have been told through MOOC courses?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Imyourlad wrote: »
    I did environmental science in UL as I was unsure if I wanted to do teaching with the idea I could decide and do a h dip afterward. Since I graduated the teaching council have changed the amount of credits needed in a given subject. I am now short 18 credits for chemistry and biology. How is the best way to earn the credits I need? I have been told through MOOC courses?

First thing I would do is get my qualifications assessed by the Teaching Council - this will cost you e200 for one subject and e100 for another subject. They are the only ones that can tell you what you need. When they get back to you, they will tell you what modules need to be studied. You can then check with your nearest university/IT to see if you could complete some modules. Now as you will be studying Science, you will probably need to do labs so it may not be as easy for you. I don't know if there are any universities/ITs that offer science degrees part-time/in the evenings. Can I ask what is MOOC? Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Imyourlad

First thing I would do is get my qualifications assessed by the Teaching Council - this will cost you e200 for one subject and e100 for another subject. They are the only ones that can tell you what you need. When they get back to you, they will tell you what modules need to be studied. You can then check with your nearest university/IT to see if you could complete some modules. Now as you will be studying Science, you will probably need to do labs so it may not be as easy for you. I don't know if there are any universities/ITs that offer science degrees part-time/in the evenings. Can I ask what is MOOC? Hope that helps.

Yeah that's my next move the teaching council can be tough to get an answer out of. MOOC is massive online open course I have been told that this is a good way to get credits but I don't know enough about it yet. Do you think it'd be possible to do a year in a colege and pick modules that would suit me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Yeah that's my next move the teaching council can be tough to get an answer out of. MOOC is massive online open course I have been told that this is a good way to get credits but I don't know enough about it yet. Do you think it'd be possible to do a year in a colege and pick modules that would suit me?

I would be hugely sceptical that the teaching council would accept MOOC credits for accreditation. Official open university courses perhaps but the MOOCs are not that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Before I would do any MOOC course - I would definitely check it with the TC as they may not acknowledge them - the qualifications have to be on their list or your qualifications will have to be assessed again. I honestly never heard of MOOC but I'll check it out :)

When you get your assessment back you could then contact a university to see if they would be able to facilitate you. I'm sure they would be able to do something for you. Also, did you study Biology/Chemistry in the first year of your degree because the TC changed their rules whereby you have to have studied 10% of the modules from first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 OD1990

I also did environmental science in UL. Luckily I had enough credits for Chemistry at the time but fell 12 credits short for Biology. I ended up taking two modules from the science teaching degree in UL and attending UL 2 days/week for labs (was only casually subbing at the time)

Be very careful with open university courses etc. as you have to complete the labs for whichever modules you do, which will not be possible with OU

• Advertisement
Advertisement