Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tricky Ntl routing issues for Lan environment

• 26-09-2009 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi ,

Hope someone might help me out here as NTL won't (no suprises there) !!!

Right basically signed up for internet/tv/phone with NTl.
    Having a problem with seting up my private network with the NTL provided router.

Basically they have provided a Scientific Atlantic EPC2203 which is a voip modem . I have a 5 port switch connected to the ethernet int. on the modem and then i am using devolo hompeplugs around the house which feed back to the swicth.

So far soo good, all pcs recieve dhcp addresses from that modem and can then acces the tinternet no prob.Howveer issue is that these ip are NTL public ips. eg 79.97.*.* which then obviously give me a severe headache as to how I can say stream across my network, !!!!

Basically trying to send data from one device to the other is going out over the NTL network & back again!! so response times are brutal between devices and obviously not secure.

What I have done so far is given all my devices a secondary ip of 192.168.100.* and the pc's can now see each other "properly" ,

Is there any easier way of setuping up my network , consiering NTl wont give me access to the router!!

Some of my equipment doesnt have an option for giving a second ip and as my main pc is streaming i have had to change the software to point at my secondary ip ....

its just messy but I dont know of any othe resolution....does anyone have any ideas or encountered same prob ??

Or if anyone knows how to access the route reven better. as i would prefer to have access to it , so i can map ports etc...??

Thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Why not get another router and connect the WAN port of that to the NTL box and leave your new router dish out IP's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

Don't those scientific yokes also have USB ports, if so connect the Internet to one pc and use Internet connection sharing.

Failing that as above buy a router with a wan port.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭u2thepale

Cheers for the responses lads,

The Ntl is using coax , so using a routers wan port wont work .
    I think the issue is that the NTL supplied router has some of access list which is not allowing traffic from the 192.168.100.* range out to the internet .

I could be wrong here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

u2thepale wrote: »
    You connect the ethernet cable from the modem to the wan port of a router, then you just connect up all your devices and you'll have what you want 192.168.1.3, 192.168.1.4 etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

u2thepale wrote: »
    Cheers for the responses lads,

I think the issue is that the NTL supplied router has some of access list which is not allowing traffic from the 192.168.100.* range out to the internet .

I could be wrong here...

Most routers have firewall rules which prevent incoming traffic, but have you been messing with your router at all? For all the devices to have NTL public IP's then somehow you have dont have NAT set up.

The whole purpose of such a router is to NAT (in basic it means having a single IP which all internal devices communicate to the internet on)

ACLs are very unlikely.

I dont mean to put you down here, but this is a situation where it might be worth getting help. Do you know anyone familiar with networks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Emmm NTL don't have a NAT setup on their Scientific Atlantic EPC2203's, you need a router with an RJ45 WAN port and then use that to NAT your LAN

I think Munster hit the nail on the head , I need a router with a wan port that is a rj-45 (cat 5) connection not your bog standard phone line connection which is your average netopia etc.....

I'll get my hands on one , for the moment I can live with the secondary ip's.

Jumpy I wish I could mess around with the NTl router but they don't give access to them by default ..

Thanks for the help guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Emmm NTL don't have a NAT setup on their Scientific Atlantic EPC2203's, you need a router with an RJ45 WAN port and then use that to NAT your LAN

Thats a cable modem. He said in his OP that he has it connected to a router already.
    Its the router I was referring to.

Edit: He said switch. Eep. My bad, I didnt read the OP properly.

Get yourself a router as per every other instruction on the thread. *red face*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

This router has an RJ45 uplink and will do the job you need.

The devil is in the detail, a router with a wan port that is rj45 is what i need , Jumpy Not every router is the same , asnd you'll find they mostly take your bog standard phone connection !!!!

I presumed all responses except for Munsters were referring to these types of routers .

• Advertisement
Advertisement