Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wiring advise needed.

• 07-01-2005 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I am moving house soon and want to run cables for TV setup before I decorate. I'm looking for advise on what cables I would need to run. I've not yet decided if I'm going to use Sky or cable, Will it matter the type of cable I use. Do they both use the same type.

I will take myfully paid sky box with FTV card with me and possibly sub to sky+. If I go with this option can I locate these boxes in a closet upstairs and use an eye?? to control 2 different TV's in different rooms downstairs.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thx D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Colm80

If your going to use Sky get CT100 Cable its the best out there at the moment that i know of. You can use it on cable tv to.

Yes you can put them in the closet the eye should work fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

If you locate them away from the Tv then you lose the benefit of scart RGB video and stereo sound. Closets can sometimes have temp and humidity variances which will shorten the life of your box so you should consider this also. Definitely run ct100 cable, 3 from the dish and then run a return to your distribtion point, there are amps available which do not need mains power and are compatible with sky link (eyes)

good luck with the move

dgbr wrote:
    I am moving house soon and want to run cables for TV setup before I decorate. I'm looking for advise on what cables I would need to run. I've not yet decided if I'm going to use Sky or cable, Will it matter the type of cable I use. Do they both use the same type.

I will take myfully paid sky box with FTV card with me and possibly sub to sky+. If I go with this option can I locate these boxes in a closet upstairs and use an eye?? to control 2 different TV's in different rooms downstairs.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thx D.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭digiking

Personally, i wouln't use coax to run your main tv, as the picture is old alright and there is no stereo sound etc,

Could you run a long Composite video lead downstairs intead for video- the One with the push in yellow connectors on each end,

But you would still need to run a normal coax to control the sky box,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

First of all good luck with the move!

I would advise you to run 5 lengths of CT100 cable from the attic to the TV room. Two for Sky+, one for the FTV box, one for terrestrial and one to route the signals back up to the attic. Use SCART leads to connect the Sky boxes to the TV in the main TV room to get the best piture and sound quality (I can explain the connection details a bit more if you need them).

You should also run a cable from the attic to each other room in the house that could possibly have a TV in it in furure. As mentioned previously you can get amplifiers to distribute the signal throughout the house. That would give you a minimum of 6 channels throughout the house, the four Irish, Sky+ and FTV box.

If you are wiring the house from scratch you should also think about putting a phone point in any rooms that may have their own Sky box in the future (you need to have them connected to the phone line in order to avail of the multiroom discount). Do this even if you are not getting a land line in straight away.

When the installer is putting up the dish ask him to connect all four of the LNB outputs and run the cables into the attic. This will allow you to connect up whatever rooms you like, however you like.

Have fun!!! :D

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I agree with ShaneOC. Even if you find you dont need all the cables immediately, you may find a use for them in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Tony wrote:
    Closets can sometimes have temp and humidity variances which will shorten the life of your box so you should consider this also.
    Martin Pickering calls them "ovens" :D

Putting feet or strips of 1 or 2cm high wooden strips under the units will help airflow , if you are putting vcr/dvd/sat on top of each other then air gaps are essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dgbr

thanks guys for all your advice.

Unfortunatly I'm a bit of a technophobe.
    Can you explain what the 5 cables from the attic are for.
    What do the 4 cables from the dish connect to in the attic?
    Why do I need to route signals back to attic?
    When you say run 5 lenghts of cable from attic to TV room do you mean to the sky box's?
    What way are the applifiers connected.
    See what I mean total technophobe. Sorry.

Thx. D

First of all good luck with the move!

I would advise you to run 5 lengths of CT100 cable from the attic to the TV room. Two for Sky+, one for the FTV box, one for terrestrial and one to route the signals back up to the attic.

Use SCART leads to connect the Sky boxes to the TV in the main TV room to get the best piture and sound quality (I can explain the connection details a bit more if you need them).

You should also run a cable from the attic to each other room in the house that could possibly have a TV in it in furure. As mentioned previously you can get amplifiers to distribute the signal throughout the house. That would give you a minimum of 6 channels throughout the house, the four Irish, Sky+ and FTV box.

If you are wiring the house from scratch you should also think about putting a phone point in any rooms that may have their own Sky box in the future (you need to have them connected to the phone line in order to avail of the multiroom discount). Do this even if you are not getting a land line in straight away.

When the installer is putting up the dish ask him to connect all four of the LNB outputs and run the cables into the attic. This will allow you to connect up whatever rooms you like, however you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭kkennedy

CT100 cable is listed as Digital Satellite Cable.
    Is it suitable for terrestrial / RF signals?
    I am building a house and would like to know if I can use CT100 throught teh whole building.
    Thanks
    K

kkennedy wrote:
    CT100 cable is listed as Digital Satellite Cable.
    Is it suitable for terrestrial / RF signals?
    I am building a house and would like to know if I can use CT100 throught teh whole building.
    Thanks
    K

Yes, CT100 will handle terrestrial signals too (and better than regular co-axial cable).

• Advertisement

dgbr wrote:
    Unfortunatly I'm a bit of a technophobe.
    Can you explain what the 5 cables from the attic are for.

The five cables from the attic to the main TV room will be used as follows.
    2 of them are required for the Sky+ box.
    1 of them is required for your FTV box.
    1 is required for the terrestrial signals from an aerial.
    1 to route a signal back to the attic so it can be distributed throughout the house.
    dgbr wrote:
    What do the 4 cables from the dish connect to in the attic?

Three of them will be connected to three of the five cables to the main TV room. The fourth can be left unconnected for the moment, but if you were ever to get another Sky box you would not have to get an installer to go near the dish, simply connect the spare cable from the dish to the cable from whatever room the new box is going into.
    dgbr wrote:
    Why do I need to route signals back to attic?

If you send the signal back up into the attic you can route it to all other rooms in the house using an amplifier.
    dgbr wrote:
    When you say run 5 lenghts of cable from attic to TV room do you mean to the sky box's?

See answer to first point.
    dgbr wrote:
    What way are the applifiers connected.

This depends on the type of amplifier. Basically though you have your cable coming back up from the main TV room and you connect that to the input of the amplifier. Then connect the cables from the other rooms in the house to the outputs of the amplifier.

Thanks again for your help. dgbr

Advertisement