Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting to Saorview

Options
  • 03-11-2014 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

I just bought a TV and was wondering if I could get the Saorview channels by connecting to the UPC connection in my sitting room? It's the only connection in the apartment I moved into. I have my broadband with UPC, but I don't have a TV package with them. There are two connections, but one has a block on it, I took it off, but I need to get a female plug for it, but will this work?. I don't have an aerial in my apartment.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It is extremely unlikely; you would be relying on the mass of metal in the walls to work as a UHF antenna.

However, if you don't live in Cork the UPC analogue channels will be present on the connection, should get about 18 channels from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭smurke

Ok, thanks, will attempt the connection anyway, and see how I get on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

If you're on the Dublin network the following analogue channels are available - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88414136&postcount=15

You could also test a cheap indoor aerial for the Saorview channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭smurke

The Cush wrote: »
    If you're on the Dublin network the following analogue channels are available - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88414136&postcount=15

You could also test a cheap indoor aerial for the Saorview channels.

Cool, I was wondering about that, if the UPC thing fails, I'll get an indoor aerial.

I'm in Limerick, but I'm sure it's similar to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

smurke wrote: »
    Cool, I was wondering about that, if the UPC thing fails, I'll get an indoor aerial.

I'm in Limerick, but I'm sure it's similar to Dublin

The reason people mentioned Dublin is that for historical reasons, there are people still picking up TV channels without a decoder via cable so UPC still send a block of about popular 18 channels down the wire as unencrypted VHF (and a few UHF) TV channels which any TV can pick up. That does not apply in other parts of the country where it's all digital so without a decoder, you'll get no TV.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    That does not apply in other parts of the country where it's all digital so without a decoder, you'll get no TV.

In Cork the 4 traditional Irish analogue channels are still carried on cable, not sure about Limerick but perhaps smurke can let us know.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

coylemj wrote: »
    The reason people mentioned Dublin is that for historical reasons, there are people still picking up TV channels without a decoder via cable so UPC still send a block of about popular 18 channels down the wire as unencrypted VHF (and a few UHF) TV channels which any TV can pick up. That does not apply in other parts of the country where it's all digital so without a decoder, you'll get no TV.

It is more than just Dublin, I am not sure if it is everywhere except Cork, but it is certainly all the ex-NTL cable areas.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

ex-Chorus area here and they're there. Cork however is fully digital as they never had unencrypted analogue anyway - if the core 4 are still there they're wasting 32mhz as there's no reason to with no OTA analogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bobjayhan

Hi - have a similar query to the first poster here, would appreciate if anyone could advise.
    Just moved into rented apartment with UPS box installed, but don't want to sign up for them, would be happy with just saorview basic channels. The connection seems to have been turned off as when I connect the TV aerial cable & TV through scart/hdmi, it searches for but doesn't find the channels; and nobody will take responsibility to turn it back on - apartment management, UPC (only want to sell), landlord.

There seem to be aerials outside (no satellites) and it's not one of those blocks that UPC have corralled for themselves only (ethics of that tactic is another chat), so seems that the input signal is just switched off.

Would be grateful if anybody can help - tricks to get it back on or at least who would be in charge of it!

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

UPC's cable won't be carrying the Saorview signal. That will be a separate system, if it's there at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

bobjayhan wrote: »
    Hi - have a similar query to the first poster here, would appreciate if anyone could advise.
    Just moved into rented apartment with UPS box installed, but don't want to sign up for them, would be happy with just saorview basic channels. The connection seems to have been turned off as when I connect the TV aerial cable & TV through scart/hdmi, it searches for but doesn't find the channels; and nobody will take responsibility to turn it back on - apartment management, UPC (only want to sell), landlord.

There seem to be aerials outside (no satellites) and it's not one of those blocks that UPC have corralled for themselves only (ethics of that tactic is another chat), so seems that the input signal is just switched off.

Would be grateful if anybody can help - tricks to get it back on or at least who would be in charge of it!

Thanks
    Get a Saorview compatible antenna (and a Saorview compatible receiver if your TV hasn't a built-in Saorview/Freeview tuner). The UPC box will only work with a UPC connection and subscription so if you want to use it then you'll have to pay.

bobjayhan wrote: »

Have you tested the TV point directly to the TV via the aerial in/RF IN socket at the rear of the TV, leaving the UPC box out of the loop? If the cable to the UPC apartment hasn't been disconnected it may be carrying the analogue cable channels.

As posted above the UPC box will only work with a UPC subscription.

Advertisement