Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Headlight socket/connector replacement

Options
  • 08-07-2015 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    Was in the process of changing the left headlight bulb on my qashqai when it became obvious that the bulb and connector had shorted out (see below).

h7-headlamp-bulb-connector-repair-kit-1956-p.jpg

Now it's not an exact one but close enough for example purposes. I was thinking of going to a breakers yard and getting a new socket by just cutting the two wires that connect it and then fitting it to my car.

So questions, firstly has anyone changed this socket? Does the entire loom need to be changed or will just stripping the cables back and using a bit of heat shrink to join them be ok.

If it involves replacing the loom and socket, would I be as well to go for HID bulbs on both sides. Thanks in advance for any replies. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

Did you figure out why it "shorted out" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

bbsrs wrote: »
    Did you figure out why it "shorted out" ?

Had a check of the loom run (as much as I could see) and checked the fuse and no obvious fault. I'm hoping it was an ill fitted bulb (my fault) or a bit of moisture. Both bulbs had been working ok until I noticed the lack of reflection from the car in front. I drive with dipped beams all the time, from riding a bike so might be just a simple failure (one of those things).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Just go to brakers, snip the wires back as far as you can... Actually exactly as you suggested yourself. maybe wrong 'watt' bulb was fitted! any sign of melting/heat around connector?

ardle1 wrote: »
    Just go to brakers, snip the wires back as far as you can... Actually exactly as you suggested yourself. maybe wrong 'watt' bulb was fitted! any sign of melting/heat around connector?

Yeah there was what appeared to be damage on one of the socket recesses and the bulb itself was difficult to remove (should have simply pulled out). No other obvious fault, will replace the socket and post back here to let others know how I got on.
    I don't think I'll fit HID's but I might investigate the idea of some DRL's, constantly amazed at the Irish attitude to what is such an obvious safety feature as having lights on during the day.

Just an update folks.

Got a second hand socket from a breakers yard for €7.50. There was a good 4 inches of wire running from the socket. Stripped the three wires back exposing about an inch, you will need a proper wire strippers as the wires are very thin.

Snipped the old socket off, leaving as much cable as possible. I again stripped back about an inch of wire. Had thought about simply intertwining the two exposed ends and covering with heat shrink but vibration might have loosened them so decided a bit of solder might be no harm.

Got a loan of a little portable gas powered soldering iron which doubled as a heat source for shrinking the heat shrink.

Word of warning you will need to check which wire is dip and which is main (if necessary) 50/50 chance so bit of insulation tape and operate your lights. Once you know what wire is what, a bit of solder and then some heat shrink and functioning headlight again.

Depending on your make of car you may be able to replace the socket in situ, I managed it with our Qashqai or you might have to pop out the light and do it on a bench.

So points to note
    Ask the lads in the breakers to leave a good bit of wire on the replacement socket.
    Snip the wires on the old socket as close to the socket as possible.
    Use proper wire strippers to expose the strands, about an inch.
    Check dipped and high connections (if required) before soldering.
    Soldering is the best option, twisting the strands might be grand but if you can why not use a bit of solder.
    Put on the heat shrink before joining (you only ever make that mistake once...ok twice :o and remember forever) and then once you're happy with the soldered connections heat the shrink and hopefully working headlight.

Loan of soldering iron and €7.50 for replacement socket, so to answer my own question; yes it is possible to change the socket and save yourself a few bob. Total time about 40mins, was very careful to keep as many strands of the wire as possible. You don't need a weld of solder just a 'colouring' on the twist to keep the connection. Heat shrink is always a better option than insulation tape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭cletus

Good post, but I have to disagree with one statement. It's possible to feck up your heat shrink more than once. I can attest to this from personal experience :D

On a more serious note, re the soldering, for a really solid join, google lineman/western union splice

Advertisement