Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oily kerosene smell from exhaust

Options
  • 31-07-2015 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

I have an old 98' civic as my second car. Engine was always 100% in it. Got petrol in it 4 days ago and car has been running rough randomly since. I noticed a kinda oily type smell with a hint of kerosene coming from the exhaust. The engine in this car never burnt a drop of oil in the years I've had it. This morning I started it and it cut out after 5 seconds and it started again no problem after that.

Dodgy fuel? Should I drain the tank and replace plugs and fuel filter? I'm not even 100% sure it is the fuel but its a coincidence this is happening after fueling it up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

How long was sitting sitting up?
    Try giving it a blowout on the motorway for 20/30 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

biko wrote: »
    How long was sitting sitting up?
    Try giving it a blowout on the motorway for 20/30 mins.

It gets driven now and again, its been used maybe once a fortnight for local runs. Its taxed and insured. I'm putting it back on the road as a daily to keep the miles down on my other car.

Advertisement