Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ball Joint question

Options
  • 22-07-2015 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

Is replacing a rear ball joint the same as replacing a rear suspension arm/rear wishbone??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

vicwatson wrote: »
    Is replacing a rear ball joint the same as replacing a rear suspension arm/rear wishbone??

Yes and no :). The balljoint is part of the wishbone. On some cars you can replace the bj seperately, others you can't. Chances are if the bj is worn the wb bushes aren't in great shape either. The bushes can normally be pressed out and replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Sensible to get tracking done after replacement??

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes, this is usually always done when a suspension part is replaced as it will throw the tracking off.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Boxtroll

biko wrote: »
    Yes, this is usually always done when a suspension part is replaced as it will throw the tracking off.

No it wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Perhaps you can elaborate? But yes, it's not for every part of the suspension.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

What car is it

biko wrote: »
    Perhaps you can elaborate?

A ball joint is a constant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Boxtroll wrote: »
    Rubbish. As a balljoint wears in the socket, the angle changes due to load.
    Replace the joint and the new part can throw the tracking out, not only from the difference in wear but also manufacturing tolerances stacking up.
    9.1%20Ball%20Joint%20Wear.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

Not if it's bolted on. Which a lot of joints are.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Guy in nct suggested I get alignment checked after the ball joint was replaced...

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Replace the joint and the new part can throw the tracking out, not only from the difference in wear but also manufacturing tolerances stacking up.

You call my post rubbish and you pull out that beauty of a post above. The ball joint picture you got from Google and probably your opinion from if replaced like for like would only result in camber issues. Think about it.

You call my post rubbish and you pull out that beauty of a post above. The ball joint picture you got from Google and probably your opinion from if replaced like for like would only result in camber issues. Think about it.
    I am thinking about it, camber will be out for sure but unless the new ball joint is exactly the same dimensions with regard to pin to mounting bolt distances the tracking will change.
    Like I said manufacturing tolerances stack.
    You think every single balljoint manufactured has the same distances from kingpin to bolt hole?

Manufacturing tolerances would be splitting hairs now in fairness, a very weak argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭316

CJhaughey wrote: »

Your understanding of a ball joint is terrible. Are you of the thinking that if you track a car with a worn ball joint that when new part is fitted that tracking is out? If so do not track a car with worn parts.

316 wrote: »
    Your understanding of a ball joint is terrible. Are you of the thinking that if you track a car with a worn ball joint that when new part is fitted that tracking is out? If so do not track a car with worn parts.
    I track my car usually twice a year, along the way parts will wear.
    If you only ever tracked a car with new components it will soon break you.

Advertisement