Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How far is too far for Dublin commute

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭daymobrew

ubu wrote:
    To the people suggesting 45mins is too long a commute, i live in Santry which is about 5 miles from St.Stephens Green and to get into town for 9:00 am i have to get the bus at 07:50, thats just over an hour, i have a friend who lives in Newbridge which is prob over 30 miles from city centre and he gets the train at pretty much the same time as i get the bus.

I dont see the difference in commmuting from the 2 places if it takes the same amount of time to get into the city centre in the morning.
    Could you cycle?

I put "Santry" and "St Stephens Green" into the DTO Journey Planner. I selected "Santry Avenue" from the starting point choices.
    It says that it is 8.2km. Claims it would take 99mins walking. You could easily cycle this in 30 mins, without breaking much of a sweat. You could cycle hard on the way home to get some exercise benefits out of the commute.

I realise that cycling may not be suitable for you e.g. nowhere to park bike or store helmet/lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

ubu wrote:
    To the people suggesting 45mins is too long a commute, i live in Santry which is about 5 miles from St.Stephens Green and to get into town for 9:00 am i have to get the bus at 07:50, thats just over an hour, i have a friend who lives in Newbridge which is prob over 30 miles from city centre and he gets the train at pretty much the same time as i get the bus.

I dont see the difference in commmuting from the 2 places if it takes the same amount of time to get into the city centre in the morning.
    This is the flaw with the DRP and building stubby motorways to connect Dublin's neighbouring counties with the M50. It promotes dormitory town living at the expense of city dwellers. The metro might help you, depending on the route chosen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ubu wrote:

It's all about choice ubu. I live 8.5 miles out from the city, but I get into Harcourt Street in between 20 and 30 minutes every day. By motorcycle. That may not be everyone's cup of tea, but personally if I was to live somewhere, I'd assess how long it's going to take me to get in using a variety of modes, and not just think of "well, the bus takes an hour, so it's out". As someone else points out, you can make the santry trip in 30 minutes by bike.

In reality, I'd say 90% of people commit themselves to long tiring journeys without exploring the possibilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

funnily enough, this thread got me thinking and i actually cycled in this morning, took me 22mins! the only reason i havent cycled in before is the unpredictablity of the weather and the fact ive to bring a bag with me and my back ends up covered in sweat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

ubu wrote:
    funnily enough, this thread got me thinking and i actually cycled in this morning, took me 22mins! the only reason i havent cycled in before is the unpredictablity of the weather and the fact ive to bring a bag with me and my back ends up covered in sweat.

You can get a cycle bag for the bike or ones that have cooler portions for your back. The weather vcan be an issue but I cycle all year round and only actually got rained on about 20 times. It might be wet out but is rarely rains all day so you don't get rained on that much. Wind is an issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭positron

THe other problem is as commutes increase further out there is a big possibility your house prices may drop a lot quicker if you live further out than an easy commute.

I would agree, it sounds right, or at least in theory, but with trains getting full at Drogheda these days, I am yet to see any signs of house prices coming down in say, Balbriggan, or Rush & Lusk.

While some of the issues that you explained are perfectly valid, if living close to work is prohibitively expensive, its not always a bad decision to move out to the country. Considering my own situation as an example, when I used to live in Blanchardstown, it used to take me about same time to get to work, driving; longer if I were to take public transport. When I moved out to Drogheda, time spend commuting really didn't change for me, and it costs less (cost of train ticket - productivity, compared to fuel costs + car wear and tear + stress and other health issues). And there's a whole shopping centre on the entrance to my estate, groceries, take aways, butchers, pharmacy and even a medical practice!!

Commuting may not be for all, but its not always a bad move either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭dr zoidberg

daymobrew wrote:
    I get the train to city centre from Coolmine (Maynooth line). The 7:54am inbound service is JAMMED - it's actually like those photos from India - REALLY!
    I take it because it's quicker than driving and, despite the gross overcrowding, less stressful. I also get a chance to read.
    Thankfully the return journey is a lot less crowded, though still no seat for me.

With the new timetable in December Irish Rail will be putting an extra train on in the morning so hopefully it will help things.
    Jesus I know. The service is terrible - by the time the train leaves Leixlip it's already full (and i mean FULL - people standing, two stops into the journey). Can't imagine what it must be like to get on in Castleknock or Ashtown.

Anything more than 1h 30min is too long of a commute IMO. Thanks to the state of our roads, this could get you 35 km if you're lucky. Lucan for example is 15 km from the city centre but it takes an hour to drive (and about 50 min on the bus even with the QBCs), it's ridiculous!

Ideally if you're working in Dublin you should be in the 01 phone area. Of course, noone can afford Dublin houses anymore.

The problem is caused by a vicious cycle: the capital is the biggest population centre, so companies prefer to locate there for the large labour market. This creates jobs. This leads to more people moving to Dublin. The new "Atlantic corridor" motorway could help sort this out. The decentralisation plan would have helped aswell but it got torn to pieces by the media for some reason. It wasn't perfect but the idea was right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

The decentralisation plan would have helped aswell but it got torn to pieces by the media for some reason. It wasn't perfect but the idea was right.
    Whatever about the idea, the plan is hugely flawed & the full cost to the taxpayer, is still unknown. It is not just the media that question it. There's a lenghty thread on this in 'Politics'.

My current commute, by bicycle, is just 35 minutes door-to-door. If I go where the government wants me to go, it would be over 2 hours commute each way, by car. Houses in the new location cost the same as where I live now & it's miles away from my friends & family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

50 minutes, I cover 39 miles in this time, just outside thurles to mitchelstown

for me an hour each way is the limit, but that assumes i'm moving, I'd find sitting in traffic for an hour soul destroying. I could never work in dublin, it's madness to me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

well with the motorway open from dundalk to dublin, its only up the road for us to get to the outskirts of dub, but the actual city itself is another story...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

i agree with that. Its not so much the roads outside dublin that is the major problem. Its near the city. The metro et al will help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭TrickyRicky

Commute from Bray to town by bus takes up to an hour, DART takes 45 mins, it's only 12 miles to city centre, you'd think they'd be able to make it shorter. It takes just under 2 hours from portlaoise by train to heuston, and onto city centre by bus/luas, yet Portlaoise is 50 or so miles from town??

Wheres the logic??!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭Archeron

it completely depends on whereabouts in Dublin you work. I live in Trim in Meath, and work in D12. The commute takes an hour and a half to two and ahalf hours, depeding on whether i've slept it out or not! Working in somewhere like Sandyford or Leopardstown would be out of the question for me. I'd recommend that if it goes above 1 1/2 to 2 hours, its not worth the bother. At the moment, traffic is really crap and by the time you get home, you;re completely shattered. I agree that if you can avoid driving, do it, coz at least on public transport you can relax and doze off if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭denachoman

Archeron wrote:
    it completely depends on whereabouts in Dublin you work. I live in Trim in Meath, and work in D12. The commute takes an hour and a half to two and ahalf hours, depeding on whether i've slept it out or not! Working in somewhere like Sandyford or Leopardstown would be out of the question for me.

You're wrong there Archeron - working in somewhere like Sandyford or Leopardstown would be alot easier for you now that the M50 is finished. I live in Kilmessan and work in Cherrywood, Loughlinstown (past Sandyford) and the max it would ever take me is an hour and a half. In fact my average commute averages just over an hour because of the hours I work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

Ideally if you're working in Dublin you should be in the 01 phone area. Of course, noone can afford Dublin houses anymore.
    Might work, but I've an 01 phone code and a 25 mile commute into the city. ;)

Frankly, I don't see the logic of doing the commute to live in a housing estate. Without bringing another issue, I take the commute for living in my detached house on an acre of land. I don't think I would for a housing estate (in some of the one pub and a church villages that you see) with no connection to the area.

btw my 25 miles takes under an hour each way, thanks to flexi time and 8-4 days. At the moment, any of the public transport options would take longer (at least 30-45 mins), but I'm lucky that my work location is the right side of the city. My ideal would be e-working - most jobs could work this way, and it's something short term the Government could encourage firms (and staff) to take up (e.g deductions on costs for company implementing it, and tax credits for staff taking up the offer).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭Archeron

denachoman wrote:
    You're wrong there Archeron - working in somewhere like Sandyford or Leopardstown would be alot easier for you now that the M50 is finished. I live in Kilmessan and work in Cherrywood, Loughlinstown (past Sandyford) and the max it would ever take me is an hour and a half. In fact my average commute averages just over an hour because of the hours I work.

Fair nuff, it does depend on your hours, but unfortunetely, I have no choice but the standard 9-5.30 hours. I suppose I should have said that. If i could start early and finish early, then it would be an option, but getting out of Sandyford and then the journey home all at rush hour would not be pleasant. Last time i left Sandyford near rush hour it took an hour just to get out of the estate. I wouldnt do this and then face the journey home as well. I suppose it depends what you're willing to put up with, and as you say Denachoman, it also depends on your hours. I think us normal hours office workers are screwed one way or the other, but working nights would certainly open a lot of options! A friend of mine makes the journey from Summerhill to Coolock for night shift in only 45 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭dr zoidberg

Commute from Bray to town by bus takes up to an hour, DART takes 45 mins, it's only 12 miles[19 km] to city centre, you'd think they'd be able to make it shorter. It takes just under 2 hours from portlaoise by train to heuston, and onto city centre by bus/luas, yet Portlaoise is 50 or so miles[80 km] from town??

Wheres the logic??!!
    I know its the same here, 17km to the city centre takes more than an hour at peak times (an average speed of 12km/h according to the DTO), and 45-50 mins on the train (although the train route in fairness is not straight-in, but curves upwards to Clonsilla).

Macy - the 01 area does extend farther than you'd think, I probably should withdraw that statement :D . Just as a matter of interest, where in Wicklow are you? Arklow is 04 afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I was working in Blackrock and living in a rented flat in Rathmines when myself and my wife decided to buy a house in Newbridge in 2003.

I commuted from Newbridge to Blackrock for 12 months.
    7.00am - leave house
    7.10am - get on train
    7.50am - arrive at Heuston
    7.55am - get on 90/91 bus
    8.15am - arrive at Eden Quay. Walk to Tara St
    8.20am - catch DART
    8.45am - arrive in Blackrock

Evening was a case of leaving at 5.00pm to catch the 6.00pm train and I was in the door by 6.45pm.

It was pretty tough even though I got a lot of reading done.
    Eventually got a work transfer to Naas which is just 20 mins away from home.
    A new shopping centre is opening in Newbridge next year and will be 15 mins walk away. We're not short of amenities anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Some people are commuting as far as Moate and Mountrath in the Midlands and Cavan in the northwest, Dundalk and Gorey which is now well known for [people sleeping there and working in Dublin..

the Boundary is not Navan/Mullingar/Portlaois anymore. We will have a fantastic orbital road to get these people moving faster around these towns without having to use the M50. funnliy enough the outer orbital will be oudated as by the time it opened we will need a N52 orbital outside that to carry the capital's expanding commuter belt further out, oh dear,:D
    :v: the new ring road would easily compare to the M25 in London in terms of size:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This will be unpopular but...

The problem here in the Irish obsession to own their own their own house and the subsequent resistance to high-rise accomodation. No doubt this will prompt countless "renting is dead money" responses, but consider the following:

Is being up to your neck in debt with a mortgage, spending an average 2 hours in a car (each way), only to get home in time to collapse into bed in your "own house", which funnily enough looks identical to the 50/100 others in the estate, just so you can get up at 5/6am the next day to do it again REALLY what people consider to be a better quality of life??

Wouldn't you rather get home in 30 minutes or less to your nice, spacious and secure apartment (I'm not talking the excuse for same that we have now) and spend that extra time with the family that you think is currently somehow better served by mam and dad being on the road for hours/too tired when they get home to do much more than kiss the kids goodnight? You might even have an extra few quid in your pocket too if you rent (I'm assuming that with better usage of land to build these apartments, comes more supply, equalling lower rents).

I've lived abroad and it's only here that I've seen this - frankly - ridiculously outdated and impractical attitude that you've somehow failed in life if you don't own a house. The reality is that public transport in this city/country is never going to be as good as it NEEDS to be to keep up with the times, and as such, the commute will only get longer and people "forced" to move further and further out unless this mindset starts to change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Wouldn't you rather get home in 30 minutes or less to your nice, spacious and secure apartment (I'm not talking the excuse for same that we have now) and spend that extra time with the family that you think is currently somehow better served by mam and dad being on the road for hours/too tired when they get home to do much more than kiss the kids goodnight? You might even have an extra few quid in your pocket too if you rent (I'm assuming that with better usage of land to build these apartments, comes more supply, equalling lower rents).

I've lived abroad and it's only here that I've seen this - frankly - ridiculously outdated and impractical attitude that you've somehow failed in life if you don't own a house. The reality is that public transport in this city/country is never going to be as good as it NEEDS to be to keep up with the times, and as such, the commute will only get longer and people "forced" to move further and further out unless this mindset starts to change.

Kaiser,

I've lived abroad too and frankly, what you describe is a utopia which won't work in this country because of the way the rental market operates. I have been living in Ireland for five years now and I have been screwed over by three different Irish landlords in that time. No doubt MorningStar will pop up and say "don't tar all landlords with the same brush" but the last two properties were sold out from under me and involved a massive number of problems with the landlords who don't appear to understand security of tenure legislation and it's not like it's that onerous in this country. I particularly loved dealing with the one who didn't even bother to read his lease before he tried to throw me out. Do you know what it's like to get a phone call that goes "I want to sell the house, so can you be out in a couple of weeks?" In other words, the rental experience is not that great.

The argument against dead money only works if rent is significantly lower than a mortgage which although it's the case in some parts of the country, it is not really the case in Dublin. It is naive to assume you can suggest "it might be the case with better land usage", it is not because the apartments being built are appallingly badly designed by comparison with what I have been used to abroad, at least in my area. I can't believe anyone actually wants to live in some of them.

I've had to deal with too many amateur landlords in what is a very short time to want to have to put up with it for an eternity. I will stop looking to buy my own place when I can be absolutely sure I won't be screwed over by a landlord and in this country that's a fantasy. The rental market is not regulated or policed adequately as far as I can see.

Agreed there are serious issues that need to be addressed (through better regulation certainly) but I do believe it's the better solution in the long term than continuing to build housing estates further and further out and subsequently choking the roads with traffic.

Either way drastic action is needed and some tough decisions will have to be made. Unfortunately though I tend to agree that realistically, given the shambles that is public transport, the planning permission system, corruption and conflicting interests, coupled with the lack of political will, the likelyhood is that the latter option above IS what we'll be stuck with. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Personally I think 30-40 mins is the limit. beyond this the commute impacts on your quality of life.

As for the comments about living in an apartment and a house. Raising a family in a house is much easier than in an apartment. I'm not saying it can't be done in an apartment, but it is harder. However many houses they are building these days are little more than apartments.

I recently switched to flexi hours, usually 8-4 and that has made a huge impact on my quality of life. It knocks about 50% off my commuting time.

The big problem is the lack of a comprehensive infrastructure. Certainly in many european cities it much easier to use public transport than drive. In Dublin it simply is harder to use. It adds about 150% to my commuting time.

I think its a myth that renting is cheaper than paying a mortgage. It may be right at the moment, but in the long term it isn't. Its a poor return for your money aswell. Also when you retire will you still be able to pay the same rent as you can when you are working? Unlikely.

Personally I think 30-40 mins is the limit. beyond this the commute impacts on your quality of life.

As for the comments about living in an apartment and a house. Raising a family in a house is much easier than in an apartment. I'm not saying it can't be done in an apartment, but it is harder. However many houses they are building these days are little more than apartments.

I recently switched to flexi hours, usually 8-4 and that has made a huge impact on my quality of life. It knocks about 50% off my commuting time.

The big problem is the lack of a comprehensive infrastructure. Certainly in many european cities it much easier to use public transport than drive. In Dublin it simply is harder to use. It adds about 150% to my commuting time.

I think its a myth that renting is cheaper than paying a mortgage. It may be right at the moment, but in the long term it isn't. Its a poor return for your money aswell. Also when you retire will you still be able to pay the same rent as you can when you are working? Unlikely.

I agree with you that if more employers (and schools) recognized the facts of the transport situation in this city between 7 &10 AM and introuced more flexible hours, it'd go a long way to relieving some of the pressure (where possible - of course there are many businesses/institutions that can't operate outside of these "core" hours).

CIE (all groups) also need both investment and restructuring. While this certainly does not apply to all staff, on the majority of occasions that I've had cause to follow up on an issue, it unfortunately seems that CIE found every ignorant Dub they could, and gave them a job :(

Better customer service skills, better supervision and disiplinary procedures, coupled with a reduction of union influence (having DART drivers threaten to strike because they think they deserve more money for driving a longer train - when it was already agreed to previously and makes no real difference to the performance of their duties anyway, is not on!) is the way to achieve this.

Of course the real requirement behind all this is political will to priortise public transport and drive these changes, and that's something sadly lacking in our system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

High density does not mean high-rise. The densist parts of Dublin are typicly 2-3 storeys.
    Raising a family in a house is much easier than in an apartment.
    Do explain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Victor wrote:
    High density does not mean high-rise. The densist parts of Dublin are typicly 2-3 storeys.Do explain.
    try getting a toddler and a baby and bootload of shopping up to a 3rd storey apartment, now compare with parking your car in your driveway and walking in the front door.

or compare letting a child out to play in a fenced garden with having to accompany them down several flights of stairs to play in a (probably) child-unfriendly communal area.

I'm sure apartment complexes in Ireland could be made more child-friendly but ultimately if you have small children a house is a better option (for older kids an apartment becomes more practical).

And before anyone brings it up, I know millions of people in cities around the world successfully raise families in apartments, but Irish people have historically preferred houses, and if you were brought up in a house you're probably going to want to bring up your own children in a house (even if it means having to buy one in the sticks and commute)

loyatemu wrote:
    And before anyone brings it up, I know millions of people in cities around the world successfully raise families in apartments, but Irish people have historically preferred houses, and if you were brought up in a house you're probably going to want to bring up your own children in a house (even if it means having to buy one in the sticks and commute)

...Which was precisely the mindset I was referring to. It's the same reason people complain about the government but vote FF - cause their parents did.

It's time to get over this and wake up to the realities of the situation. And as you yourself pointed out, millions of people around the world can successfully raise a family in apartments; why should the Irish be any different??

(Incidentially, I lived in both houses and apartments growing up, and I certainly don't feel hard done by having spent several years in the latter).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

4.5 years too late!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

loyatemu wrote: »
    try getting a toddler and a baby and bootload of shopping up to a 3rd storey apartment, now compare with parking your car in your driveway and walking in the front door.

or compare letting a child out to play in a fenced garden with having to accompany them down several flights of stairs to play in a (probably) child-unfriendly communal area.

I'm sure apartment complexes in Ireland could be made more child-friendly but ultimately if you have small children a house is a better option (for older kids an apartment becomes more practical).
    What about comparing an appartment with underground parking and a lift up to the level of the apartment with a house with 7 steps up to the frontdoor from the street? Where the street is a clearway and you've to park several hundred metres away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

obviously took this thread quite a while to commute there and back :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

What about comparing an appartment with underground parking and a lift up to the level of the apartment with a house with 7 steps up to the frontdoor from the street? Where the street is a clearway and you've to park several hundred metres away?

I was just going to say..that's why they invented lifts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭SeanW

Way to Go with thread resurrections, it's only been, what, 5 years?

I don't know how many of you are members of the Ranting and Raving forum (access can be gained here BTW)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64768655#post64768655

but there's a thread about apartment living in Ireland here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055744525
    long story short, for those who can't view it is this: Irish apartments are generally built to the lowest standard POSSIBLE. Literally, to the point where in some apartments, you can hear your neighbor's every movement on the toilet, in painstaking detail. Every closing of a door, every click of high heels on the upstairs wooden floor, even in some cases, your neighbors conversations!

You cannot thusly blame an Irish person for not wanting to buy an apartment here, as the desire to avoid this is perfectly rational once one is aware of the evidence on offer.

There must therefore be better option: either continuing to plan for Semi-Ds, but in a careful way, or a severe overhaul in building codes for apartments (much less likely) combined with a mass-scale demolition of the garbage blocks that were slapped up during the bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭GermanicGalore

Hi everyone,

I know this is a really old thread. I was just wondering if anyone else is doing the commute Portlaoise/Dublin and what your thoughts are on it.

..or if laoisfan is still here, are you still doing it?

Thanks.

Advertisement