Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nitelink Changes Announced

Options
  • 04-02-2011 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

My uncle is an inspector with dublin bus and he recently told me that after february there'll be no more nitlelink buses on any routes. He said the cost of fuel and wages plus the added hassle with drunken people has led them to this decision. I personally get the 67N after nights out in town and it's always packed so i can't imagine how they aren't making money on that particular route. As for worrying about dealing with drunken people that just strikes me as sheer unwillingness to provide a service to genuine people on the basis of a few bad experiences. I haven't found any confirmation of this on the web but he was pretty vehement that there will be no more nitelinks from march onwards!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Fantastic :rolleyes:

It's a heavily used service (well anytime I've been on it).

DB really seem to be trying their best to piss off as many customers as possible, destroying routes with ND, prices up and now chopping Nitelinks :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

And to think that a few years ago that the Nitelink used to run every night of the week except Sunday nights/Monday mornings. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

i really hope this isnt true.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Random wrote: »
    i really hope this isnt true.

Yeah, its an initiative from the greens to help commuters/people out late at night to avoid using heavily polluting cars........
    Idiots - and yer fecking carbon taxes - *waves fist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Surely there has to be a way of keeping this service going. Have they looked at raising the cost of the fare? Reducing frequency to once an hour?
    If it were to go, it would be a great loss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

If this is true it's an absolute disgrace. Can anyone find a verified link?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,275 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Good decision, it will decimate the pubs in the city centre and cut back on our drinking culture, it will also help the ailing taxi industry :rolleyes:

I'd imagine running it once an hour on the hour would make much more sense, plenty of demand for it at that rate of supply, every half hour isn't a good idea. Ideal rate would be once an hour to 2.30am and then one every 15minutes until 4am, plenty of customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

I'm not fond of rumours myself, although given what's been going on of late, it wouldn't surprise me if this were planned.

Has there been no initiative to institute 24-hour service on some bus routes? It's not like Dublin rolls up the footpaths at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Can a tender not be out out for some other company to provide an alternative public bus service from 12 midnight to 7 am, 7 days a week. I am sure there are people willing to work. This is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

CIE wrote: »
    Has there been no initiative to institute 24-hour service on some bus routes?.

I'm not sure, but I think that Dublin Bus wanted to run the (now obsolete) 746 route from the airport to Dún Laoghaire (via the city centre and N11) on a 24-hour basis for a trial period but weren't allowed to for some reason. Pity too, I'd imagine it would have been quite busy (especially as the Aircoach manages to run a 24-hour service along a similar route).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

I don't believe this rumour. Dublin Bus would be in breach of their PSO contract with the government if they stopped this service.
    PUBLIC SERVICE CONTRACT
    Between
    An tÚdarás Náisiúnta Iompair - National Transport Authority
    and
    Bus Átha Cliath-Dublin Bus

The Operator will provide:
    • A network of integrated services as set out in Schedule A and shown in Schedule E operating from early morning (generally before 7AM) to midnight Monday to Friday and as demand requires on Saturdays and Sundays. In addition, a Nitelink network of services will operate at weekends serving the main corridors from the city from midnight to early morning.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShDYdjyAVfyQTdRy83tDv8FswO1fz8quJOtW4Sc9w7nGkvNOjFbIy-3bwtAWUjfz3ziAkwoZcSerUNV7XlwFA_o-VGrh_k9rhOT_TM2Dt7Bb7mb7P3EfsdtI1Z55KbGtGa0E6As&q=cache%3Arw3GQUwXBbkJ%3Awww.nationaltransport.ie%2Fdownloads%2Fcontract_dublinbus.pdf%20nitelink%20pso&docid=0a1e8a556a450b74ed67b944f83fbf58&a=bi&pagenumber=23&w=658

http://www.nationaltransport.ie/downloads/contract_dublinbus.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Can a tender not be out out for some other company to provide an alternative public bus service from 12 midnight to 7 am, 7 days a week. I am sure there are people willing to work. This is ridiculous.

Of course there are people willing to work, put an add in the indo tomorrow for pretty much any job and you will get a mountain of applicants. No drivers to run the service has NEVER been the issue with nitelinks.

Nitelink is not subsidised. If it is considered not worthwhile to include in the Dublin Bus PSO I imagine it would be a tall order finding the cash with which to tender someone else to run the service.

Anyone is free to apply for a licence to run such a service on a commercial basis, the fact that only one other operator has run a nighttime service and stuck with it long term is a good indicator that it is not a good bet for turning a shilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

I agree, I don't believe this. The OP should also have used a different thread title. It's simple a rumour and not fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭joegriffinjnr

I heard this a couple of weeks ago, however can't confirm though.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Surely there has to be a way of keeping this service going. Have they looked at raising the cost of the fare? Reducing frequency to once an hour?
    If it were to go, it would be a great loss.

The poor performing routes are already once an hour, long distance routes are once every 2 hours.

I cant see them getting rid of this service, it brings in a few million a year for them. Althought with Network direct going on anything is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

Its hear-say around the depots too. Its also a service thats jammed in the summer time around summer events?

More when i hear for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

The whole nitelink system needs to be looked at, it should be an extension of the daytime service. Picking up out and in-bound. Make it flexible. Offer weekly/monthly multi-ride tickets. The whole service is ran with very little thought for the public who want and need to use it. I am a regular/weekly nitelink user, usually the 12:30 Fri/Sat. nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

They could merge a few routes together...41N/33N and 25N/66N/67N spring to mind- that last one used to run as a 67N midweek. Shorter routes could be scrapped. Getting rid of them altogether means a lot of people won't go out in town, and pubs and clubs will suffer badly. As well as people who use them to get home! Personally my taxi fare is €30, so it's stay in a friend's house or don't go out, I can't afford that. The 3,half 3 and 4 are fairly essential ones, they could cut it down to half 12, 2, 3, half 3 and 4 fairly easily.

Would not be surprised if they got rid of it altogether, they already cut 4 days off it, the half 4 nitelink for all, and reduced a few to 3 nitelinks a night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

They could merge a few routes together...41N/33N and 25N/66N/67N spring to mind- that last one used to run as a 67N midweek. Shorter routes could be scrapped. Getting rid of them altogether means a lot of people won't go out in town, and pubs and clubs will suffer badly. As well as people who use them to get home! Personally my taxi fare is €30, so it's stay in a friend's house or don't go out, I can't afford that. The 3,half 3 and 4 are fairly essential ones, they could cut it down to half 12, 2, 3, half 3 and 4 fairly easily.

Would not be surprised if they got rid of it altogether, they already cut 4 days off it, the half 4 nitelink for all, and reduced a few to 3 nitelinks a night.

No I dont think they could make those cuts. Thats a 1.5hr wait from 12.30 to 2am.

Dublin Bus signed a 5 year contract to provide a nitelink service at the weekends in December 2009. This rumour is a typical trade union scare story.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

mgmt wrote: »
    No I dont think they could make those cuts. Thats a 1.5hr wait from 12.30 to 2am.

Dublin Bus signed a 5 year contract to provide a nitelink service at the weekends in December 2009. This rumour is a typical trade union scare story.

Perhaps Mgmt,but the NTA contract does have the usual stipulations concerning unforeseen circumstances,acts of God (or Network Direct) and the likes.

The impending collapse of the company would be one such act.

It would be wrong to ascribe this rumour to the Trades Union`s as they are even less well informed than the members of Boards.ie.

I would suggest that the suspension of NiteLink operation was included in a number of "Options" thrown out for discussion at an informal Mngmt meeting,perhaps to cost the savings.

The real issue here is whether or not Dublin Bus`s Network Direct programme is even coming close to achieving it`s targets in savings & efficiency terms......:eek:

It has certainly and comprehensively reduced the customer satisfaction ratings to a level which the Trades Unions never quite managed over decades of Industrial Unrest !! :(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

mgmt wrote: »

I know but if they absolutely had to it would cover the two peak times, 1 o clock ones do be fairly empty as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ICE HOUSE

Good riddance !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Contracts can be amended, if DB put a sufficiently large gun to the NTA's head. The question is whether NTA would have the stones to say "if you won't do it we're putting it to tender"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Maybe Dublin Bikes can cash in on this one and offer their services at a nominal rate during the early hours. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Vic_08 wrote: »

Nitelink is not subsidised. If it is considered not worthwhile to include in the Dublin Bus PSO I imagine it would be a tall order finding the cash with which to tender someone else to run the service.

Nitelink was originally not subsidised but it has been operated as a subsidised service for some years.

Maybe Dublin Bikes can cash in on this one and offer their services at a nominal rate during the early hours. :p
    I'm pretty sure drunk-and-in-charge-of-a-bicycle can be called offside by the Guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭rich1874

Originally Posted by mgmt viewpost.gif

http://www.nationaltransport.ie/down..._dublinbus.pdf

Interesting read, thanks for this. Although if they aren't meeting the passenger targets could the contract be subject to change?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

dowlingm wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure drunk-and-in-charge-of-a-bicycle can be called offside by the Guards.

Soccer offside or rugby offside? or squareball?

Soccer offside or rugby offside? or squareball?
    ice hockey offside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

ICE HOUSE wrote: »
    Good riddance !!
    So you want the violent drunk people in taxicabs then...?

Advertisement