Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - A dream city!

Options
  • 01-01-2008 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭

Hasn't Dublin been a dream city for the last week -i.e. from Christmas day. No traffic anywhere, people waving you out at junctions, no horns sounding, lots of parking.

Courtesy everywhere. I love it. Is it going to end tomorrow - Wednesday? Inevitable I suppose

It does show you though, what's possible when you remove a reasonable number of the cars

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Ballymun to town in ten minutes can't be bad, and that's crossing o'connel street and bridge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I wonder how many of those cars going to be on the road again tomorrow really need to be. We live in a small city, getting around easy should be one of its benefits but unfortunately our obsessive car culture has ruined that. I wonder what the average speed is for people during rush hour in Dublin?

Ahh well, back to the tedious go slow again tomorrow.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

clown bag wrote: »
    I wonder how many of those cars going to be on the road again tomorrow really need to be. We live in a small city, getting around easy should be one of its benefits but unfortunately our obsessive car culture has ruined that. I wonder what the average speed is for people during rush hour in Dublin?

While I actually currently *do* need my car to get to work, I'm going to throw a partially selfish, partially not problem in the ring here -

I get chest infections using Irish Rail commuter trains. About every three months when I was using the Maynooth line every day I was floored for a week, on serious antibiotics, etc. Not a bother since I starting having to drive to work. If/when I return to being able to commute using public transport; I won't. Not taking the risk, sorry.

In addition, our public transport is overcrowded as it is, and if people did what the "one small step" ads are asking them to do it would collapse. So I'd say the majority of cars on the roads have to be there, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

clown bag wrote: »

Have you seen the buses, trains and luas at rush hour? How the hell are more people supposed to get on? I doubbt the majority of people driving actually want to drive but they have no real alternative.

There should be more buses and they have to be reliable before people will use them. More Luas and trains aren't much good as because of the mess that out planning is we don't have enough population density to warrent spending money on them. Look at Navan, they are pushing for the rail line to be reopened but when it is all the people will still have to drive to the train station in Navan as most develoments are too far away for walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Reyman wrote: »
    Hasn't Dublin been a dream city for the last week -i.e. from Christmas day. No traffic anywhere, people waving you out at junctions, no horns sounding, lots of parking.

Courtesy everywhere. I love it. Is it going to end tomorrow - Wednesday? Inevitable I suppose

It does show you though, what's possible when you remove a reasonable number of the cars

In that case it's a dream every day from 1 a.m. to 5 a.m.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Del2005 wrote: »
    Look at Navan, they are pushing for the rail line to be reopened but when it is all the people will still have to drive to the train station in Navan as most develoments are too far away for walking.

Thats actually normal in most of the world... however, most of the world has PROPER CAR PARKING at their railway stations.

Brighton has 600 spaces (+27 disabled) at Brighton station, and, erm, three at Preston Park (one of two other station "in" Brighton, e.g. its own suburbs). Most people going to London would park their cars at Brighton station and get the train in rather than drive.

Theres also extensive cycle storage, 260 bays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Just about every suburban rail station in Munich (trains every 15mins) is marked as a P&R.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭SteM

Ballymun to town in ten minutes can't be bad, and that's crossing o'connel street and bridge!

Jobstown to Pearse Street in 35 minutes last Thursday morning. :eek: 60 minutes+ this morning :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

MYOB wrote: »
    Thats actually normal in most of the world... however, most of the world has PROPER CAR PARKING at their railway stations.

Brighton has 600 spaces (+27 disabled) at Brighton station, and, erm, three at Preston Park (one of two other station "in" Brighton, e.g. its own suburbs). Most people going to London would park their cars at Brighton station and get the train in rather than drive.

Theres also extensive cycle storage, 260 bays.

Brighton has a population upwards of 160,000.

Per head most Dublin commuter train stations in the ROI would have the same facilities.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Brighton has a population upwards of 160,000.

Per head most Dublin commuter train stations in the ROI would have the same facilities.

Brighton & Hove, the city, has at least 6 train stations that I can remember - and its been a few years since I was over. (Brighton, Preston Park, London Road, Hove, Portslade, Aldrington).

The car parking provision across them is significantly more per head than in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Just remembered Moulscoomb, but its a bit out of the city (would be like claiming Docklands is in the city... oh, wait...)

Advertisement