Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expat in NL needs help!

Options
  • 24-06-2014 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

So... I going for a long shot here but wondering has anyone or does anyone know someone that has been in my situation.

Myself and my wife were married for 4 years and we both decided to return to University as mature students, 2 years in, we separated... 2 years later I graduated just as the recession was in full swing, as a result I moved to the Netherlands and I've been happily living here for 4+ years, now...

I'm still married with virtually zero contact with my ex, apparently I cant get a divorce in Ireland because I'm not a resident... I've contacted some Dutch Lawyers but they're not interested in taking up my case because of the complications...

We've no kids, no house, no savings, it should be sooo simple but after 6 years separated I cant seem to get a divorce...

I'm with someone who I care about very much and would love to get engaged with but...

This really keeps me awake at night..., anybody with some suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Who told you you can't get a divorce in Ireland? If Dutch lawyers aren't interested, have you talked to some Irish ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Living_in_NL

It usually listed as one of the first requirements, is that person seeking a divorce in Ireland must be "domiciled in the Republic or has lived in the country for a year before bringing proceedings."

I haven't heard of any Irish lawyers practising in the Netherlands, but it's worth look...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Talk to your ex. See if she'll instigate proceedings?

Sounds like an amicable and non contentious case.

Advertisement