Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to change course after being accepted?

Options
  • 18-07-2014 2:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

So the CAO is closed now but I have changed my mind again on what I want to do. The course I want to do is currently my no. 2 but I'm pretty confident that (unfortunately) I will get my no. 1. I'm content with my no.1 but I'd now prefer the no. 2.
    Is it possible to change courses (at any time after the CAO change of mind closes) if they're both in a different college and how would I go about doing this (if its possible)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

No. You had from November 1st until July 1st to choose courses and change your mind. The CAO is closed. There has to be a cutoff. The CAO don't do exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

So the CAO is closed now but I have changed my mind again on what I want to do. The course I want to do is currently my no. 2 but I'm pretty confident that (unfortunately) I will get my no. 1. I'm content with my no.1 but I'd now prefer the no. 2.
    Is it possible to change courses (at any time after the CAO change of mind closes) if they're both in a different college and how would I go about doing this (if its possible)?

If the course is similar in some way, you might be able to transfer over to it at the beginning of second year.

If not, well I'm sorry :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭loveemmaxxxx

I don't think you can change this year. I'd ask the college if I were you. You could always take a year out because let's just say you do your first choice and then change next year your grant will be canceled because you are only aloud to sit one year with the grant. You would get it back again with the second year though. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The basic rule for the CAO is you put the courses in order of choice.

The most important book by far that any LC student gets is the CAO handbook. Scary how many don't even bother reading it.

I'm sorry for the OP, but this is basic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Tesco TripleChicken

spurious wrote: »
    The basic rule for the CAO is you put the courses in order of choice.

The most important book by far that any LC student gets is the CAO handbook. Scary how many don't even bother reading it.

I'm sorry for the OP, but this is basic stuff.

It's "basic stuff" that I already knew, but my mind changed again after the CAO closed. I know you can't change the CAO preferences once it's closed, but I was asking if it's possible to change courses outside of the CAO by talking to the colleges about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

Sometimes its possible to change courses within the same college during the first few weeks. It's not advertised or anything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

As LisaB said once you are a registered student of a college you can be surprised what's possible. One of my friends from last year is switching from a computing course to 1st year Arts next year without losing his registration or his grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

I know a lad that I had last year started off a course in NUIG I think it was, and within the first week he changed to UL, or vise versa. Now don't ask me how, but the only reason he had for changing is that he didn't like the course he started off in. The two courses were unrelated iirc. Note that he did lose his grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I know a lad that I had last year started off a course in NUIG I think it was, and within the first week he changed to UL, or vise versa. Now don't ask me how, but the only reason he had for changing is that he didn't like the course he started off in. The two courses were unrelated iirc. Note that he did lose his grant.

That's definitely not the whole story, because his grant wouldn't even have been processed at that stage and he wasn't repeating a year if he only did the first week in NUIG before moving.

Perhaps he got an offer of a course higher up his list from the CAO in Round 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

That's definitely not the whole story, because his grant wouldn't even have been processed at that stage and he wasn't repeating a year if he only did the first week in NUIG before moving.

Perhaps he got an offer of a course higher up his list from the CAO in Round 2?

I'm not that in tune with the CAO if I'm honest, maybe I misinterpreted what was said, but I'm sure he moved because he wasn't happy where he was, I distinctly remember some of the staff commenting on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

thelad95 wrote: »
    As LisaB said once you are a registered student of a college you can be surprised what's possible. One of my friends from last year is switching from a computing course to 1st year Arts next year without losing his registration or his grant.
    I'm guessing he deregistered early in the year before the returns to the HEA were made? Otherwise they would have paid the FY fee for him to the college, and they won't do it a second time. Many colleges report twice a year, and have two deadlines; if you withdraw after the first but before the second, you will only be counted as having completed half the year and will only have to pay half the full fee for the year (as well as the student contribution fee).

It will sometimes be possible to switch courses *within* a college in the early weeks if you have the points for the other course and there are places available, and if the college is disposed to be flexible; not all are, it's not something they generally encourage as otherwise they would have everyone playing musical chairs! And who's to say that the request to change doesn't arise out of feeling flummoxed by the whole move to college leading to a sense that the course the student originally applied for is too difficult, leading to a panic attack, and that they won't regret it a few weeks later? So colleges tend to be reluctant / careful.

Switching between colleges in the same year is pretty impossible I'm afraid.

I get that you changed your mind after it closed, tesco, and there's not much anyone can do to stop that happening, we're all human. I think the point people are making is that there has to be a cut-off, otherwise there would be pure chaos and there might as well not be a system at all. In fact, since it all went online, the final close is much later now than it used to be when it was paper-based, giving people much more time to think about their options.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 STP50

OP are the two courses related ? are they in the same college ?

I have two daughters who are in TCD - both of them had fellow classmates who were allowed transfer to another course within the college within the first few weeks. One of them also had a transfer in from UCD but I am not sure as to the circumstances.

Once you are registered some colleges will consider allowing a course transfer within the college as long as you achieved the
    original points requirement for course and places are available. so check the college rules carefully.

Good luck - sounds like you will be happy enough with either one.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Tesco TripleChicken

STP50 wrote: »
    OP are the two courses related ? are they in the same college ?

I have two daughters who are in TCD - both of them had fellow classmates who were allowed transfer to another course within the college within the first few weeks. One of them also had a transfer in from UCD but I am not sure as to the circumstances.

Once you are registered some colleges will consider allowing a course transfer within the college as long as you achieved the
    original points requirement for course and places are available. so check the college rules carefully.

Good luck - sounds like you will be happy enough with either one.

Yeah I'll be happy with either one, so it's not a huge deal. On one hand, one of the courses (which is my no. 1 choice) has more career opportunities and it's something I really have an interest in, but I also have an interest in the other course (design related) and I think I would enjoy it more. My mind has been changing between the two for ages even after talking to both colleges about the courses. Either way I'm happy with what I get though. Thanks!
    EDIT: The courses are also in different colleges (DCU/DIT). Maybe if I wanted to move from DCU/UCD to TCD and the courses were related, I might have a chance. But since it's an IT and a Uni and unrelated courses it's not likely.

Advertisement