Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What your teen did/said today to make you smile/cry??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Cringy Smile:- 17 year old watching Aqua "Barbie Girl" video on music tv.......

" I wish I had a relationship like that".:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Just back from my 16 year olds Parent Teacher meeting..........Now I just have to figure out where this "pleasant, engaged and achieving" teenager hangs out when not at school, it certainly bears little resemblance to the bolshy, moody and uncooperative young one who slams the front door on the way out and in each day!!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

My 15 yr old rowed the best time with his Junior 15 8's crew in the Galway Tribesman Head of the River......

Delighted for him cos his older brother was hugely successful at rowing and of course it's brilliant to see my younger boy achieve as well:)

Bish/jes GRC ?

Chance are I could well have rowed with your older son/coached your younger son

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

The 14 year old decided that he wants to become a geologist, move to Greenland, live in a camper van and look at rocks all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

The 14 year old decided that he wants to become a geologist, move to Greenland, live in a camper van and look at rocks all day.

Good for him... i remember wanting to be an oceanographer but me and the sea dont mix, dodgy tummy.

My young lady is off to athlone today for the primary schools all Ireland athletics competition.

She is doing relays, standing long jump, 3 stride long jump and obstacle course, shes not too optimistic as its all Ireland. Had to buy her new runners though as she overpronates and needs the support.

She came 24th in the county cross country finals out of over 80 girls, she was very happy with that, we knew she wouldn't win as she came 5th in her school, the girl who won that race came 3rd in the finals (and she is on my daughters relay team) :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Pandora2 wrote: »
    Just back from my 16 year olds Parent Teacher meeting..........Now I just have to figure out where this "pleasant, engaged and achieving" teenager hangs out when not at school, it certainly bears little resemblance to the bolshy, moody and uncooperative young one who slams the front door on the way out and in each day!!;)

So much better than having a perfect child at home and then refusing to believe that they aren't an angel at school too.

echo beach wrote: »
    So much better than having a perfect child at home and then refusing to believe that they aren't an angel at school too.

She's a firm believer in fielding her game face for the World at large and indulging in her stroppy side when at home!! I will survive ;)

Go

My young lady is off to athlone today for the primary schools all Ireland athletics competition.

She is doing relays, standing long jump, 3 stride long jump and obstacle course, shes not too optimistic as its all Ireland.

Well she made it the finals next weeks. http://www.offalysports.ie/Events?Id=1594 Not sure how she is going to do as she had 4 hypos yesterday. Have to give her less insulin and more food. She said there is fierce competition so shes not too optimistic, at this stage she is delighted to get the day off school.

* would you believe i got a text at 3pm telling me the homework she has to do, she was off doing athletics for the school (had to wear her uniform)from 9am to 4pm and they wanted her to do homework :eek: wrote her a note saying she wasnt doing it, she was tired after the long day and had a series of hypos. You think they would get homwork off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭jmbkay

My 16 year old, usually selfish and a pain in the ass, picked daffodils in a park, (probably illegal), and put them on her grandparents grave. It was her friends idea, but I never thought she would do such a nice thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

Major row with my 16 year old this morning. Firstly she was printing off stuff for a project at 8.20 when we should have been in the car on the way to school. Then I found out it's due in today and she plans on putting it together at lunch time!!!!! On the way to school she informed me that she needs a white top and pyjamas for a themed speech for tomorrow. She knows money is tight and I've told her before not to ask for things at the last minute as it puts me under severe pressure financially. I felt like murdering her:mad:

Well she made it the finals next weeks. http://www.offalysports.ie/Events?Id=1594 Not sure how she is going to do as she had 4 hypos yesterday. Have to give her less insulin and more food. She said there is fierce competition so shes not too optimistic, at this stage she is delighted to get the day off school.

* would you believe i got a text at 3pm telling me the homework she has to do, she was off doing athletics for the school (had to wear her uniform)from 9am to 4pm and they wanted her to do homework :eek: wrote her a note saying she wasnt doing it, she was tired after the long day and had a series of hypos. You think they would get homwork off.

Well she brought home the bronze, no hypos and homework off.

Well she brought home the bronze, no hypos and homework off.

Gotta love it when a plan comes together:);)

My lady is annoyed at the fact she has to swear that she will not have any relationship with a non-christian person, she said ' how the hell do i know who i am going to fall in love with'

*forgot to say its part of the conformation ritual :( she isnt happy and isnt going to swear it she is going to keep silent as that part, but is going ahead with the rest of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭Smashhits

Got a text from my daughter yesterday telling me they were going to be disecting lambs hearts in science on Monday, all excited signs the text from 'your little heart surgeon'! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭deisemum

Smashhits wrote: »
    Got a text from my daughter yesterday telling me they were going to be disecting lambs hearts in science on Monday, all excited signs the text from 'your little heart surgeon'! :D

After doing post mortums on dead poultry I should have considered being a state pathologist ;)

• Advertisement

Smashhits wrote: »

reminds me of me all those years ago.I was a quiet little mouse,but when teacher wanted a volunteer for disections,my hand always shot up- fascinating !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

She cried, I cried for her pain and agony. Could float the Titanic in this house.

She cried, I cried for her pain and agony. Could float the Titanic in this house.

They hate the old 'there are plenty of fish in the sea' story too.....

They hate the old 'there are plenty of fish in the sea' story too.....

My eldest one responded to the "Plenty more fish in the Sea!" argument with an anguished "But, I thought I caught a salmon!":p......She was 15 at the time and he was no salmon!!!! ;)

My eldest one responded to the "Plenty more fish in the Sea!" argument with an anguished "But, I thought I caught a salmon!":p......She was 15 at the time and he was no salmon!!!! ;)

He sounds more like a mackerel or conger eel.

• Advertisement

He sounds more like a mackerel or conger eel.

I heard the music from Jaws everytime he entered a room:eek:;):D

I heard the music from Jaws everytime he entered a room:eek:;):D

:D:D

Teenage boys are these, except for mine, of course.

Is there not a website called 'What to do when hot chocolate with cream and marshmallows is refused'? :(

My lady is annoyed at the fact she has to swear that she will not have any relationship with a non-christian person, she said ' how the hell do i know who i am going to fall in love with'

*forgot to say its part of the conformation ritual :( she isnt happy and isnt going to swear it she is going to keep silent as that part, but is going ahead with the rest of it.

I never heard that in the Confirmation ceremony! Does your diocese include it with the drink and drugs pledges? :confused:

I never heard that in the Confirmation ceremony! Does your diocese include it with the drink and drugs pledges? :confused:

NO, diocese of kilaloe :rolleyes:

There were no drink and drugs pledges...

Well i started kickboxing last night and my 12 year old joined me....

She was determined to be better than me, she also got to kick the c**p out of the kick bag thing i was holding, sent me flying a couple of times.... i however could not do the same to her and she kept on moving it so i couldnt aim right :(

she did well though ....

*mommy daughter bonding, kicking the c**p out of each other at kickboxing.... :O

:D:D

Teenage boys are these, except for mine, of course.

Is there not a website called 'What to do when hot chocolate with cream and marshmallows is refused'? :(

eeeewwwwww

I hate
    worms
    of any sort :o

My son's school report arrived in this morning's post. It's in my handbag unopened. I'm too scared to open it. There should be a support group for this sort of thing. :(

My son's school report arrived in this morning's post. It's in my handbag unopened. I'm too scared to open it. There should be a support group for this sort of thing. :(

And it pales in comparison to waiting on Junior/Leaving Cert/Degree results:eek: I'm a shadow of the girl I once was!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

My 16 year old informed me she was going to a 'Farewell to the Foreskin' Party for a friend of hers who has had a circumcision for medical reasons :eek:

The things they choose to celebrate.....:D

^^^^^Laughs Out Loud ^^^^^^^

• Advertisement

paperclip2 wrote: »
    My 16 year old informed me she was going to a 'Farewell to the Foreskin' Party for a friend of hers who has had a circumcision for medical reasons :eek:

That's so funny....thanks.
    Don't you just love our children!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

paperclip2 wrote: »

Be carefull about how they choose to celebrate such an event

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

'xxxx yayyy' : after texting her to tell her i bought a blackberry for her.:(

Be carefull about how they choose to celebrate such an event

I am guessing the young man in question will be fairly protective of the departure site! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

My daughter who is 13 in July had asked me to dye her hair. She's a kind of dirty-ish blonde if ye understand me. She was mad to dye it a plum/red kind of colour but has thankfully changed her mind!!

It's not that I mind her dyeing it and messing about, not that at all. It's just that I don't know what it would look like when it begins to grow out.

As I say, she has changed her mind in any case, but I'm wondering do ye have any advice about wash in- wash outs or what would I use to give her a bit of a change??

My daughter who is 13 in July had asked me to dye her hair. She's a kind of dirty-ish blonde if ye understand me. She was mad to dye it a plum/red kind of colour but has thankfully changed her mind!!

It's not that I mind her dyeing it and messing about, not that at all. It's just that I don't know what it would look like when it begins to grow out.

As I say, she has changed her mind in any case, but I'm wondering do ye have any advice about wash in- wash outs or what would I use to give her a bit of a change??

I went cherry red at that age it was a wash in one, however it stained my hair as i was blond. Blonde wash ins/outs dont really leave much of a difference. If she went dark blonde you can see the difference (can show you a pic of my daughter dark blonde if you like). she tired a different shade of blonde and you couldn't tell the difference.

You also have to do a 24 hour reaction test on the skin, its normally the dark colours that cause a reaction rather than blonde shades, but it still needs to be done, just in case.

I would however recommend going to the salon and getting blonde highlights. did you see my daughters pic, that set me back €60. They are permanent.

Wow Grindelwald, she is gorgeous. I love the hair.
    Cheers for the reply. I'll have a chat with my one again and see what's the best to do.:)

KittyeeTrix

Did your daughter ever colour her hair?

Or did she opt not too?

Daughters school phoned up she forgot her lunch, its not at home, its not in the car cant find it anywere, phone the school said she must have it, anyway they phone me back to say she found her lunch under her hoody...

There is nothing floating around between her 2 ears this week....

Last week was a different story.

She did 3 tests last week and got 2 A's and a B the teacher was really happy with her improvement. He said the maths were really hard and he was delighted that she did well. She does great course work but doesnt follow it through on tests, he said these are the first test which are showing how good she really is. If you remember a while ago i started a thread on how to help her for tests as she was useless in them. There is real improvement..

• Advertisement

KittyeeTrix

Did your daughter ever colour her hair?

Or did she opt not too?

She decided not to in the end which pleased me greatly......
    I was so worried about mesing it up and what it would look like as it was fading out or growing out:D

Well done to your daughter results!!!
    That's great improvement:)

Have to book my lady in for an eye test, think she is going short sighted. It was picked up on a few months ago at the diabetic eye test clinic it was mild back then and was told if it got worse book her an eye test.

It's got worse she sits at the back of the class and is having trouble looking at the white board. She has to squint.

Myself and her dad don't wear glasses recon its diabetes related.

EDIT: have to bring her to the gps, her finger is all swollen and has green stuff coming out of it, she gave herself a paper cut yesterday looks like its infected, she will have to have antibiotics... :(

I hate diabetes!

My 16 year old son is not long in from the Foroige Awards Night. He had volunteered to do MC for part of it which I thought was a brave thing to do. He won his club's member of the year and then won the overall member of the year for his region.

deisemum wrote: »
    My 16 year old son is not long in from the Foroige Awards Night. He had volunteered to do MC for part of it which I thought was a brave thing to do. He won his club's member of the year and then won the overall member of the year for his region.

Doesn't your heart and head swell so much when your child achieves something like this?

Well done to him!

My daughter got baned from playing basketball at school, she refused to shake the other teams hands after a match last week and the principal said she embarrassed the school. She refused to shake the other teams hands because they were fouling left right n centre and never got pulled up for it, she did it out of principle, she also injured her finger (which ballooned up that night and got infected and needed antibiotics the next morning and had it dresse by the nurse) she was kept home for 2 days so as to keep the dressing dry and clean and give her finger a chance to heal. she went back to the gps and got it redressed on the 3rd day and i then dropped her to school, the principle saw her and baned her from playing basketball in the school corridor.

I explained about un-sportsmanship like conduct, but the teachers/principle never did, they baned her outright... She is very headstrong, not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing!

But thank goodness she only has 9 weeks left at the school, 6 weeks if you count our holidays and june break.

Today is her first day at school with glasses.

I commend your daughter for standing up for what she believed in Grindelwald................

A fake handshake IMO is worth nothing and is part of going along with the sheep brigade. Fair play to her for having the courage of her convictions and not being a hypocrite......

I'd say as much to the principal, that "I'm glad I have a daughter who stands steadfastly by her beliefs and conviction rather than a coward who will bow to popular opinion in order to avoid punishment"..

I'd be as proud as punch of her...:):):)

You tell her I said so, cos I'll certainly be telling my 13 yr old daughter about your daughter.

Reminds me of the time I heard my daughter when she was about 10 in the next room.......
    She had 3 friends over and one of them started slagging off another girl who was in their class (this girl wasn't in the room at the time). The other 2 girls started agreeing with her.......It was silly stuff like about her hair/clothes being not great etc.

Anyhoo, my daughter fair play to her said quietly enough "girls, does it matter if her clothes/hair aren't great. I like her, she's a nice person so I don't care about her clothes!.....

Honest to God, my heart swelled.:)

I took her aside later and told her I'd heard her and that she was a fantastic kind-hearted girl and that it's not easy to speak up when everyone is agreeing but she did and I was very proud of her!!

• Advertisement

grindelwald pity the principal is lacking in principles unlike your daughter who has the courage of her convictions.

KittyeeTrix you should be so proud of your lovely daughter. What a sweet child.

Thanks, the school has marked her as a trouble maker because she won't conform. Counting down the days till she leaves. Delighted we stuck our boys into a different school.

Kittytrix your daughter sounds so nice and level headed. Wish I had friends like that when I went to school...

I'm so mentally tired. Two teens, another one joining them in July but already there in terms of hormones and the last one aping them all and showing signs of nasty hormonal behaviour. Crying seems to be becoming a daily habit for me. I have a feeling that the next ten years are going to make an old woman out of me. :(:(

I'm so mentally tired. Two teens, another one joining them in July but already there in terms of hormones and the last one aping them all and showing signs of nasty hormonal behaviour. Crying seems to be becoming a daily habit for me. I have a feeling that the next ten years are going to make an old woman out of me. :(:(

It can be tough, a hormonal and verbal rollercoaster ride with the "go" button stuck on replay-
    Perhaps try and make time for yourself- go somewhere alone and put phone on silent...

I call it my "me time"....
    I find myself enjoying it possibly too much:D

My young lady was at an 11th birthday party at the weekend, it was a disco and they all had a game of musical chairs, the birthday girls 6 year old brother was knocked out in the second round so my lady gave him her place as he was really upset....

He was so happy... No one else offered him their place but she felt so sad for him... I'm very proud of her for being compassionate and empathising with the young lad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement