Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pat Rabbitte

Options
  • 21-01-2009 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭

Interviewed RTE Radio1 21st Jan 2009 approx 17:30

Broadband is a priority, up there near the top... We have fallen behind .. even the farmers ...

We need to prepare the Country for the growth after the recession

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Can someone grab it and post when available online?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

just after 5pm . Never heard Pat so adamant before .

Pictures Pat dressed as Adam Ant :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

39:30 to be precise :D

Use real player alternative if you don't want that bastid program installed on your Pc. ;)

The peoples comments showed the work we have to do on this issue.

They don't see broadband being required for business or the economy. Time to make them realise how important it is to business.

• Advertisement

Ireland has:-

No firm plans for NGN, in particular NGA
    No incentive to invest
    Failure of LLU
    Highest prices in Europe for line rental

And given Broadband investments are vital not discretionary for a "knowledge economy" - I am seriously worried.

Well said Pat - you are 100% correct. Thanks for linky SB.

crawler wrote: »
    Well said Pat - you are 100% correct. Thanks for linky SB.

I agree but the comments afterwards where people think he is insane for saying are worrying (either that or they are FF drones or something).

People need to realize the importance of BB to business.

Judging from the comments in that radio program, a lot of people seem to still think it is only really important for gaming/leisure and that the speeds we have no will do business (not untypical for an Irish attitude towards an issue).

They also need to realize the importance of low cost BB which is something we can easily highlight and have comparisions with our neighbours on.

Having one of the most expensive line rental rates in the world for the slowest speeds should make it obvious that we need to take action on this issue. Having a knowledge based economy makes this an important issue.

It is clear from Obama's initial statments after entering office that he see's IT as the way forward out of this crisis and we need to ensure we are as low cost as possible for these companies. This will obviously benefit Irish startups too. Being on the edge of Europe is not a disadvantage for web based companies and we can have Irish owned leaders in this industry if we can achieve proper investment in the area.

First we need the infrastructure, it will pay itself off so why not invest? I think this is the message IO needs to send to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Quite so, thebman. I tried to make that point in a formal complaint to my ISP, but doubt if Eircoma will take any notice!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Wouldn't pass much remarks on what Pat Rabbitte has to say.
    Opposition parties are great at making all the right noises.

Remember all the great speeches and interviews Ryan used to give in opposition. We all know how that worked out.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

kaizersoze wrote: »

Remember all the great speeches and interviews Ryan used to give in opposition. We all know how that worked out.:(

But at least he has the intelligence to realise the mess we're in, sure its all grand in Eamon Ryans eyes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    sure its all grand in Eamon Ryans eyes

As a minister that's what he is paid to say...

bealtine wrote: »
    As a minister that's what he is paid to say...

Yeah that is a significant problem. It is clear when ministers are in opposition that they understand the problem but don't want to or can't solve the problem when in office due to not being able to get the funds in their department.

Seems like we should we be lobbying the Department of Finance to free up funds for a competent and worthwhile NBS?

Why they want to provide funds to do things wrong I don't know. We'll just end up back here in a few years time (although with 3, we'll probably never leave here).

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

I wonder if the powers that be can recoup any of the money from the 3 scheme, once they see it not working with their own eyes?

Fogmatic wrote: »
    I wonder if the powers that be can recoup any of the money from the 3 scheme, once they see it not working with their own eyes?

Like the voting machine fiasco?

I'd love to see written guarantees that all users will get the quoted speeds
    and what remedies will be taken if they do not achieve those speeds?
    Will users get refunds when/if the speed drops below a specified threshold?

Simple things really, if 3 are so confident in their new shiny toys then they can easily and
    confidently give those assurances, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

kaizersoze wrote: »

Strange comment? What would you say if he just talked crap. Of course you should take notice. There is every possibility he will some day be in a position to do something about it. That type of comment depresses me.

Valentia wrote: »
    Strange comment? What would you say if he just talked crap. Of course you should take notice. There is every possibility he will some day be in a position to do something about it. That type of comment depresses me.

The problem is, would he?

Politicians in this country need to gain credibility TBH.

Nobody trusts them so how can we believe a thing they say?

I hope you are talking about Minister Ryan here, noted for talking a lot of crap?
    He was all gung-ho before he took office and now look at what he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Sure I know Ryan is talking crap. A major let down. But no, I wasn't talking about him. Is my post in some way ambiguous? We can spend all our time being cynical but when someone says something sensible lets be a bit more positive.

I don't think Ryan was specifically sensible when he was in opposition. Platitudinal, yes.

Sure I know Ryan is talking crap. A major let down. But no, I wasn't talking about him. Is my post in some way ambiguous? We can spend all our time being cynical but when someone says something sensible lets be a bit more positive.

I don't think Ryan was specifically sensible when he was in opposition. Platitudinal, yes.

duck billed platitudinal ?

Advertisement