Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LC Student help/advice

Options
  • 08-06-2014 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

Hi. My 18 year old son is currently having a total meltdown over the maths paper tomorrow. He is doing OL and didn't get on at all well in the first paper. He just looked at the answers on line and reckons he got nothing right so now he's saying he's not even going to bother doing part 2 tomorrow.

He is in his room crying which is so not like him.

He has had grinds for months and seemed to be doing well. He has just texted me now and said he'll think about it in the morning but he's afraid he'll have a breakdown in the hall.

He has a tendency to be negative, glass half empty and has had panic attacks before. Sorry, this is all over the place, I'm just v worried and would love some advice. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Hi OP.
    My heart goes out to you - I'm actually more nervous for my LC daughter,than I was when I did mine all those years ago.

First piece of advice - NO POST MORTEMS- that goes for all exams.
    Once he hands up that paper,move on- focus on the next exam.
    Re: maths tomorrow.
    Tell him to write all relevant formulas,etc..for each question.
    Forget paper 1 and concentrate on what he has been taught.

Try some deep breathing / relaxation techniques with him tonight and again in the morning.Repeat tomorrow evening and each day until exams are over.
    Perhaps seek professional help for the panic attacks,when he's finished LC.

Best of luck- there is a LC forum on boards.ie too.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

Hi, thanks for reply. I didn't want to post on the LC forum in case I freaked anyone out. I think we may be sorted.

My Mam and sister called in and my sister took him to Mc D's and kind of talked him through things. She went through what might come up on paper tomorrow (today actually now) and he seems a bit calmer and more together. I had a glass of wine with my Mam which calmed me down!
    Hopefully it will go okay in the morning. I totally agree about doing post mortems but sure there's no telling them. Very best of luck to your daughter and thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

I'm in Leaving Cert too and have anxiety and panic attacks multiple times a day. Hope everything went well in maths for him :) it's reassuring to know that others are in the same position, if he ever wants a chat feel free to pm me x

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

xLisaBx wrote: »
    I'm in Leaving Cert too and have anxiety and panic attacks multiple times a day. Hope everything went well in maths for him :) it's reassuring to know that others are in the same position, if he ever wants a chat feel free to pm me x

Hi xLisaBx, thanks, he has calmed down a lot now that the end is in sight. He has two more exams on Wednesday and then finished. I'm sure the anxiety and panic attacks are a lot more common than people think. Hope your exams went well and that you have a lovely summer x

Advertisement