Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IPAV Part-time Certificate in Auctioneering

Options
  • 21-08-2007 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I am currently completing a two year part-time course in WIT, IPAV's Certificate in Auctioneering and Estate Agency.

It has come to my attention that the fail rate for this fee paying course is excessive, many of the subjects have been failed by well over half of the class.

Results of project works which were corrected and published on the IPAV web site were taken down and all downgraded by between 20 and 30 per cent.

This is alarming to say the least, correspondence to IPAV and WIT regarding this matter is falling on def ears.

Many students have left after their first year, which was a serious commitment to them 28 weeks of two nights a week, totally demoralised and humiliated with marks as low as 14 being issued to them after three hours of a written exam.

I believe there is a similar problem with the students in Cork.

If anyone has experience of this, or has any suggestions about accountability of private bodies supplying education with no standards to adhere to I would love to hear from them.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

As I said in a topic which was slightly similar (problems with a course in WIT, not getting anywhere etc) - you have the following options:-

1) Contact the WIT Student Union. There a great bunch in there and always willing to help. They can give you the best advise.

2) If WITSU fails you, try bringing it up with a local politican. Probably one who doesnt have ties with WIT, as he/she wont be biased.

3) If 1 and 2 fail, you can bring it to the attention of the Department of Education.

4) Else (or instead of part 3) - hit the local press. No luck? Go national.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pigletjuice

thanks for that, that is the plan at the moment, it is incredible to think that WIT as an educational institute are not concerned themselves about excessively high failure rates and are not taking the issues seriously.

Fees are to be paid for the second year shortly and between IPAV and WIT they will amount to approximately 2,000 euro. Imagin they still feel that they can put the same lecuturers before us with well over half of the class failing. Incredible!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Well we had similar issues with Maths in our course, high failure rate. But, those who pass it often do pretty well and those who fail get it in repeats!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

Think nearly all maths courses have high failure rates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Blue_Eyed

thanks for that, that is the plan at the moment, it is incredible to think that WIT as an educational institute are not concerned themselves about excessively high failure rates and are not taking the issues seriously.

Fees are to be paid for the second year shortly and between IPAV and WIT they will amount to approximately 2,000 euro. Imagin they still feel that they can put the same lecuturers before us with well over half of the class failing. Incredible!!

The course isnt available anymore in WIT, I was going to do it but was told to stay clear of it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pigletjuice

That is correct, there are no first year students this year for this course, as demand has fallen off for the course. It is however available at other centres around the country.

Honestly speaking, I would not reccomend the course to anyone, You do not need this to set up in an Auctioneering Business, I would recommend that anyone interested in persuing a career in this area to get a job in the industry instead.

I know that there are similar problems with the course at the other centres around the country which means that the root of the problem is with IPAV.

WARNING!! Dont waste your money on this course

• Registered Users Posts: 4 martinmc

I know I am late on this subject but just wondering what other way are their of becoming auctioneer

• Registered Users Posts: 4 martinmc

I know I am late on this subject but just wondering what other way are their of becoming auctioneer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

That is correct, there are no first year students this year for this course, as demand has fallen off for the course. It is however available at other centres around the country.

Honestly speaking, I would not reccomend the course to anyone, You do not need this to set up in an Auctioneering Business, I would recommend that anyone interested in persuing a career in this area to get a job in the industry instead.

I know that there are similar problems with the course at the other centres around the country which means that the root of the problem is with IPAV.

WARNING!! Dont waste your money on this course

As mentioned above Martin. Industry is the way to go on this not a class room.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

The industry is completely unregulated as far as i know. Any cowboy can throw on a suit and call themselves an agent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement