Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Question about the NCT

Options
  • 16-07-2008 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭

OK, I've a 2002 car, had it's first test in 2006, now it's due again. The disc says 08-08, and the website says I should be issued with a provisional booking in the post 4-6 weeks before the test.

Considering it's expiring soon, should I contact the NCT and tell them I haven't received a booking or just sit tight and wait?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can make contact now and make arrangements early.
    http://www.ncts.ie/bookings.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

My wifes car was the same as yours and due 2nd NCT in June this year but we received no notification. I think you can book it in online?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

yep, just ring them up or log onto their website.
    you can re test your car up to 3 months prior to the renewal date so if you do it 2 months brfore the renewal you will still get your NCT for the 2 months and the 2 years after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

We didn't get any notice either, and it had expired when i eventually booked a test online. A bit of advice though. Don't take your car to a mechanic and tell him you're going for your NCT. He'll charge you a tonne of money to fix a load of things that wont be needed. Do your NCT (€60) and then fix whatever has to be fixed (if anything) afterwards and then do a retest (€36ish). Way cheaper in the long run..
    GL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Just tried booking there, and apparently my test station (Athlone) has 0 vacancies for the next month, as does Galway. Any chance this is a glitch on the website?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ring instead.
    1890 412 413 from 8am to 8pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

biko wrote: »
    Ring instead.
    1890 412 413 from 8am to 8pm

Will do....was hoping to do it online, but never mind. Thanks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

newbie2 wrote: »
    Do your NCT (€60) and then fix whatever has to be fixed (if anything) afterwards and then do a retest (€36ish). Way cheaper in the long run..
    GL
    Test is 49, retest is 27.50.
    JBoyle4eva wrote: »
    Just tried booking there, and apparently my test station (Athlone) has 0 vacancies for the next month, as does Galway. Any chance this is a glitch on the website?

It's been near impossible to book a date for the last while. Best bet is ring up and they'll contact you with a cancellation date when one comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

NCT don't send out notifications anymore. They used to send out a notice for the first NCT. It is up to the registered owner to book the test.

For online bookings try at around 08:00 in the mornings, apparently any cancellation slots are loaded up on their website at around that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

jor el wrote: »
    Test is 49, retest is 27.50.

It's been near impossible to book a date for the last while. Best bet is ring up and they'll contact you with a cancellation date when one comes up.

I was waiting around the Limerick test centre yesterday while my car was being tested. While I was looking at it going through the test routine, I was also eves-dropping on the receptionists there :cool:.

This guy came in and said that he had failed recently and wanted a test again asap. Receptionist said "ok well I see there is a cancellation for this Thursday at lunch time, how does that suit?".

I heard one or two phone calls two where she was saying that there was nothing over the next 3-4 weeks available.

Now it may have been down to him getting it so quickly as it may have been a retest, but I reckon if you can pop in to your local centre at all and have a quick chat and turn on the charm, you might be squeezed in early.

My driving test is at the end of the month, and when I first rang to book a test 2 weeks back she said the nearest available was the second week in August. I told her my situation (cars NCT up July 3rd.....test July 29th....I need NCT ASAP) and she said ok i'll put you on a priority list so keep an eye on your phone cos we'll text you if we get a cancellation.

Four days later I got a text saying my test is in 9 days. Sweet!

My tip: Tell her you have your test on August 20th or thereabouts, and take out the violin too while your at it. Its probably your best bet in getting the test fairly soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

I didn't want to start a new thread about this, but my car is due for its NCT next year (I know, a bit away!) but I was reading the Pre-Test instructions, one of them is to ensure there is nothing in the boot.

I currently have a subwoofer installed in the boot, would this need to be removed? It's very neatly installed & no amps lying around.

1000120vh4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Is it blocking access to the spare wheel?

Anan1 wrote: »
    Is it blocking access to the spare wheel?

The spare wheel is located underneath of the car.

The only thing I was worrying about was if I did remove the subwoofer, there would be a Live/Ground/RCA & Remote cable just lying in the boot. Surely that wouldn't be considered safe..?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm only guessing here, but if it's part of the car and not blocking access to the spare then maybe it's not technically 'in the boot'? I'd give them a call, but to be honest I think it'll be fine.

I guess calling would be the best bet.. It's not up until 06/09 anyway so its fine for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

HungryJoey wrote: »
    The spare wheel is located underneath of the car.

The only thing I was worrying about was if I did remove the subwoofer, there would be a Live/Ground/RCA & Remote cable just lying in the boot. Surely that wouldn't be considered safe..?

even if they do fail it on that it'll be a free retest as they wont have to use any equipment so you can remove it and then go back, i'd hide any live cables though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

bazz26 wrote: »
    NCT don't send out notifications anymore. They used to send out a notice for the first NCT. It is up to the registered owner to book the test.

For online bookings try at around 08:00 in the mornings, apparently any cancellation slots are loaded up on their website at around that time.

Yes. I found out they didn't send out notifictions too. I called them and they said there are 'too many cars now for us to send out reminders'. That made me laugh and cry.

So if that is the case, how seriously do they take the NCT!!!

Advertisement