Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance companies - The Rules...?

Options
  • 16-07-2008 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

I know insurance companies are supposed to give you (15 days?) advance notice of your insurance renewal and advise you of their quote.
    But what are the consequences for them when they don't do this???

I find myself in the situation where my insurance is up in a couple of days, and I haven't heard anything from my insurance company.

I've tried googling and ringing various related organisations but all proved useless.

I'll be calling the company asap, but I'd like to know where I stand?
    Mods, fell free to move this if there's a better forum for it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,675 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You could just remember your insurance is up and ring the company straight away. Its easier and quicker than using internet forums asking why they didnt give you notice:rolleyes:

Give them a call ....em ...around now!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭conical

conical wrote: »
    I'll be calling the company asap, but I'd like to know where I stand?

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,273 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Yes there was a change in the law a few years ago to ensure that they send you your renewal quote in sufficient time to allow you to shop around should you not be happy. I usually get it about 30 days ahead of time. I would do some shopping around to get other quotes. Then wait for them to ring you the day before your policy expires, give out to them, get their quote, force them down abit and if still not happy, give out alittle more and tell them you are moving companies due to not being quoted a month before expiry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

I think the law is 15 days before renewal you should have a new premium and cert. and then its up to you if you want to cancel.

I don't know that the consequences are for not doing this though but it is a regulation alright.

Just shop around anyway even if renewal goes past and if you only get your cert./premium afterwards and you want to switch then do it then and dont pay your current company.

To be fair its not that big of a deal anyway, these things are sent automatically and it may have got lost in post or could have different address if you moved.

Thanks for the info lads. I was actually reminded that my renewal was coming up because other companies contacted me looking for my business.

My cynical side wondered was this a tactic on behalf of my current insurers (to leave it 'til last minute so people just renew on the spot) but I suppose things have been known to get lost in the post too :rolleyes:

I know at face value it seems an unimportant issue, but where would it leave someone who hadn't realised their insurance had expired; never heard from their insurance company and then was involved in a smash!?

Anyway, I'll see what they have to say in the morning.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I know at face value it seems an unimportant issue, but where would it leave someone who hadn't realised their insurance had expired; never heard from their insurance company and then was involved in a smash!?
    Uninsured? Honestly, as listermint says, it's up to you to insure your car.:)

Anan1 wrote: »
    Uninsured? Honestly, as listermint says, it's up to you to insure your car.:)

Of course it's up to you, but are you trying to tell me that you have never forgotten to do something that you had intended to do?

If you get a bill and you forget to pay it, it's really your own mistake. However if you were never sent said bill, it would be reasonable to accept that you might not think to go and pay it.

While I'd have no sympathy for someone knowingly driving around uninsured, I would have a lot of sympathy for someone who was unwittingly uninsured.
    I'm just highlighting that I think this idea of advance notice is one of the sensible regulations we have in this country, and that by failing to comply with it an insurance company could be putting someone into a potentially nasty situation.

Personally, I haven't forgotten or not bothered to get insured, I am just surprised / disappointed / concerned that I have heard absolutely nothing from my (current) insurance company.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Of course it's up to you, but are you trying to tell me that you have never forgotten to do something that you had intended to do?
    Of course not - i've forgotten two important tasks (as far as I can remember) in the past 24 hours! Seriously though, I think the obligation is not to remind you but to send out your proof of NCB. As the others said, it's not really in your ins. co's interest to do this. It's therefore unsurprising that they don't always seem to get around to it. I do see your point, and i'm not trying to be difficult. Bottom line is though, it's up to you to keep an eye on it.:)

Advertisement