Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is 70,000 miles a lot for a Toyota?

Options
  • 15-07-2008 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

We've been looking at a Toyota Corolla Verso MPV as we've just had our second child. It's a 2002 model with 70,000 miles on the clock. It won't be used for any long distance driving, just ferrying kids around, shopping etc. It's 8,000 euros and I'm wondering if it's a good deal>?

Would it be wiser to scrape an extra 2 grand together and get one with lower mileage - i've seen one with 39,000 miles for 10,000 euros. Advice?? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Change the oil every 10k regards of what dealers recommend and it will do 200k no problem.

Come around 120k miles you will need to do work to suspension etc but as far as the engine is concerned, it will live to 200k miles + easily.

Get it checked out by a mechanic or that crowd in Limerick who give you a detailed report and inspect the car with 24-48 hours.

If it checks out then go for it and treat yourself and the kiddies to a trip to Disney Pairs or something special.....nappies ;):D

I have a 1999 Astra with 123k miles now, am an accountant, good job but no intentions of trading in, its still going strong, rear suspension makes alot of banging but i like having an extra 400-500e a month to spend on weekends away each month in a different city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

annieee wrote: »
    We've been looking at a Toyota Corolla Verso MPV as we've just had our second child. It's a 2002 model with 70,000 miles on the clock. It won't be used for any long distance driving, just ferrying kids around, shopping etc. It's 8,000 euros and I'm wondering if it's a good deal>?

Would it be wiser to scrape an extra 2 grand together and get one with lower mileage - i've seen one with 39,000 miles for 10,000 euros. Advice?? Thanks!

They can do huge miles. I'd try and get the one with 39k for 8,000. Its a buyers market at the mo. Just make an offer (politely is best), leave your phone number and walk away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Where was the Toyota manufactured? If in Japan, it will last forever (provided the previous owner didn't abuse it). Elsewhere? Less!

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭annieee

Where was the Toyota manufactured? If in Japan, it will last forever (provided the previous owner didn't abuse it). Elsewhere? Less!

I don't know. How do I find out??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

The VIN (vehicle identification number) would give you an indication, though at this stage the most important thing is the service history of the car. 70,000 miles is not a lot on a car that is well cared for, but 39,000 is loads on an abused car!

Before making this purchase, ask yourself what you plan to do with this car. If your two kiddies will be anything like my three then the car will be destroyed with smarties, chocolate, mud and the imprint of various toys on the ceiling. You are not buy this for the residuals and if you pay €8,000 then the car can only fall from €8K, if you pay 10K it can drop from 10K.

My approach to our MPV (Honda Stream) is that it will serve us well until the kids get old enough to behave themselves in the back of the car. We paid €9K for a 2003 one and if I get anthing for it when we sell it maybe 3-4 years it will be a bonus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Is 70,000 miles a lot for a Toyota?
    In one year, maybe! :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

70k miles on a 5 year old car is not alot of mileage. That is about average for a petrol engined car. To be honest I'd be more concerned about how the car was maintained rather than what the odometer reads. In other words look for some sort of service history with receipts for any work carried out. Ring the garages that serviced the car to verify what was done.

BTW 2002 Corolla Verso was built in Japan afaik. 2004 onwards newer model Verso is built in Turkey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I've seen 2004 models with less mileage for similar money.

Once that one passes 100,000 miles you'll have to virtually give it away to get rid of it.

jayok wrote: »
    Before making this purchase, ask yourself what you plan to do with this car. If your two kiddies will be anything like my three then the car will be destroyed with smarties, chocolate, mud and the imprint of various toys on the ceiling. You are not buy this for the residuals and if you pay €8,000 then the car can only fall from €8K, if you pay 10K it can drop from 10K.

My approach to our MPV (Honda Stream) is that it will serve us well until the kids get old enough to behave themselves in the back of the car. We paid €9K for a 2003 one and if I get anthing for it when we sell it maybe 3-4 years it will be a bonus!

When you put it like that it makes sense to go for the cheaper one! I have a 2 year old and a newborn so I have years of chocolate handprints and mud ahead of me! Thanks!

bazz26 wrote: »
    70k miles on a 5 year old car is not alot of mileage. That is about average for a petrol engined car. To be honest I'd be more concerned about how the car was maintained rather than what the odometer reads. In other words look for some sort of service history with receipts for any work carried out. Ring the garages that serviced the car to verify what was done.

BTW 2002 Corolla Verso was built in Japan afaik. 2004 onwards newer model Verso is built in Turkey.

Will check out the service history. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭DM-BM

Can i just ask why you want an MPV with only two kids, i mean two young kids will fit in a saloon/hatchback without a problem?

If memory serves me correctly, all the verso variants, ie yaris, carolla and avensis only seat five, the same amount as the saloon/hatch they are based on, it's the same with the xsara picasso, meriva,megan scenic all the extra space seems to be made up by the fact they have a higher roof, i really fail to see the point of thes vehicles or why any body would buy one.

Don't take this as anti MPV, if you need to seat six or seven people then you need one like a Galaxy or Zafira etc, i just don't understsnd why five seater vehicles with a lot of head room get called MPVs, or what possible use they are to anyone.

DM-BM wrote: »
    Can i just ask why you want an MPV with only two kids, i mean two young kids will fit in a saloon/hatchback without a problem?

If memory serves me correctly, all the verso variants, ie yaris, carolla and avensis only seat five, the same amount as the saloon/hatch they are based on, it's the same with the xsara picasso, meriva,megan scenic all the extra space seems to be made up by the fact they have a higher roof, i really fail to see the point of thes vehicles or why any body would buy one.

Don't take this as anti MPV, if you need to seat six or seven people then you need one like a Galaxy or Zafira etc, i just don't understsnd why five seater vehicles with a lot of head room get called MPVs, or what possible use they are to anyone.

Well, I hope to have 3 kids eventually so will be able to fit 3 car seats in back, I like the height, the safety aspect - verso has good safety rating, the fact you can fold the seats down for more space (Husband sometimes carries music gear), apart from that I don't know - I was never a fan of people carriers myself, just want comfort and room?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

DM-BM wrote: »

Corolla and Avensis Verso have 7 seats. Zafira is no bigger than either of those. MPVs are not just about seating people, empty seats can be neatly folded flat allowing extra room for all the gear that comes with kids such as buggies, bags, etc. Most saloons or hatchbacks cannot accomodate this type of practicality without compromising rear passenger room. Also the higher roof line allows for easier access for getting kids in and out of baby/booster seats.

I do agree though that some MPVs are less practical than others and don't make much difference.

Well, I hope to have 3 kids eventually so will be able to fit 3 car seats in back, I like the height, the safety aspect - verso has good safety rating, the fact you can fold the seats down for more space (Husband sometimes carries music gear), apart from that I don't know - I was never a fan of people carriers myself, just want comfort and room?

Just to add, that from experience that very few cars will actually take 3 car seat in the back. We used to have a Honda CR-V and it couldn't take the three. Tried a 530 estate, Accord, nope, they wouldn't fit either. Only solution was the 6/7 seater option. Anniee this is good planning! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the previous generation Corolla Verso didn't have the 5 star safety rating of the current model. not was it as wide in the rear seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,945 ✭✭✭✭unkel

from experience that very few cars will actually take 3 car seat in the back

Most D-segment cars with 3 3-point seatbelts in the back should be able to take 3 car seats. Ours is a Rover 75 and 3 seats fit fine, although it is a bit tight alright. Out of interest, is your experience with D-segment cars or smaller ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'd be less interested in the amount of miles than the treatmnt the car go while clocking them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

unkel wrote: »
    Most D-segment cars with 3 3-point seatbelts in the back should be able to take 3 car seats. Ours is a Rover 75 and 3 seats fit fine, although it is a bit tight alright. Out of interest, is your experience with D-segment cars or smaller ones?
    My sis-in-law has a 2005 Verso. They have a 4 year old, a 3 year old and a 6 month old. Their respective car seats will not fit in the 2nd row of seats in the Verso.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Stekelly wrote: »
    I'd be less interested in the amount of miles than the treatmnt the car go while clocking them up.

+1.

Assuming that the ****e hasn't been driven out of it 70K is nothing on a Toyota. And it's unlikely that the hell has been driven out of it as they usually carry children.

OAP's seemed to be the main buyers of the old Verso. young people just bought Scenics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

colm_mcm wrote: »
    OAP's seemed to be the main buyers of the old Verso. .

So a new clutch and/or gearbox and the cars a gud'n.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

If the Chassis number (VIN)

Starts with;

SB - English built

JT - Japanse built.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Volvoboy wrote: »
    If the Chassis number (VIN)

Starts with;

SB - Sh!t built

JT - Japanse built.

;)
    Fixed that for ya.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Would you consider something like this
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volvo/V70/2.0T-S/1106867/

There'll be more room for buggys and other baby crap than in the Corolla Verso

Well the CR-V had 3 x 3 point seat belts as did the Accord and 530. We have two rear-facing and one booster seat at the moment. We *could* fit these in ar a squeeze but what I noticed is that with the the rear-facing ones encroached (if that's the right word) on the space of the booster seat. My concern would be in a crash they could go flying.

That aside, the next stage of seat Group 1 (9-18kgs) we could not physically fit a rear-facing, group 1 and booster seat in the same row (doors wouldn't close). Not to mention that within the year we will need two Group 1 and the booster seat. I would imagine that I could get three booster seats in the same row though.

Never tried a Rover 75 as I imagined that all cars would be the same - I thought the CR-V and 530 would be as big as most if not all type of cars.

Edit: I'm not sure what a D-segment car is - but I assume that is the size? If so I think the 530 probably fits it. After that you're into something like a executive saloon or an Audi Q7 thingy or something.

We have two rear-facing and one booster seat at the moment.

Twins? If so, fun & games :D

I've only 2 booster seats and one rear-facing seat. I reckon two rear-facing seats would indeed be either very tight / impossible in the 75

BTW, I thought the 530 had a lapbelt in the middle? My 735 does...
    I'm not sure what a D-segment car is

Family size car. Think Vectra, Mondeo, Avensis, Mazda 6, Accord, etc.

Twins? If so, fun & games :D

Not quite twins, 10.5 months between 2 and 3rd! :D
    BTW, I thought the 530 had a lapbelt in the middle? My 735 does...

Well I was looking at the Estate (aka Touring) and it has the 3 x 3 point in the back, unless there is a difference?

Family size car. Think Vectra, Mondeo, Avensis, Mazda 6, Accord, etc.

Ah ok. Every day is a school day.

Not quite twins, 10.5 months between 2 and 3rd! :D

:eek:
    Well I was looking at the Estate (aka Touring) and it has the 3 x 3 point in the back, unless there is a difference?

Interesting! Although I just found out that there are perfectly safe booster seats for sale that fit with a lap belt.

Sorry for all the O/T :o

Corolla/sCorolla Versos may have a chassis number beginning with NM. this means they were built in Turkey.

I don't agree with the idea that the UK built Toyotas aren't well built. some tests on the 97-02 Corolla showed that the UK built ones were better built.

• Advertisement
Advertisement