Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm recommendation

Options
  • 28-07-2014 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi, looking for advice/recommendation for an alarm system for a house that I will be moving into shortly. Currently there is a Phonewatch system installed but does not work properly & there are no cables to any openings so am going to replace it. Plan to install cables & system myself, I had worked on HKC systems in the past but some time has passed since then so would appreciate any views on latest systems available.
    Cheers

PS: Farewell & thanks KoolKid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Lyncher2014

Hi sherrif, what Phonewatch panel do you have? Do you know what's not working with that system? May be just a couple batteries may need to be changed and the system restarted and new user codes. This would work out cheaper than replacing the whole system.

If you definitely want a new system and have had experience with HKC, I'd stick with them, nothing much has changed in terms of installing them. They've a new panel out called 1070, basically it's 10 wired zones and 70 wireless also. Comes in a white plastic housing as opposed to those old metal ones, looks much neater.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 sherrif

Not sure of exact model of Phonewatch panel Lyncher but current owner says it hasn't worked properly for a number of years? Am happy to replace though as from what I did see not all windows have sensors fitted & those that are fitted are enormous. I would like to have all openings protected with contacts. Will take a look at the 1070 panel when down in NEW during the week. Would you recommend a particular sensor? I had always used Aritech 613's in the past & never had a problem with them.

Yeah they are abit big alright. Wireless sensors in general though are slightly larger due to the battery inside. Wired ones are half the size.

613's are good, have you seen the aritech 711? Personally I find them reliable and nicer looking too.

Forgot to mention HKC recently introduced new slimline sensors with a magnetic contact. It's about half the width of other sensors. They're also 'omnidirectional'.. Basically they self align. No more arrows pointing upwards or aritech name needing to be level

• Registered Users Posts: 13 sherrif

Had come across the 711's but hadn't used them, will have a look at what's available from wholesaler. Thanks for your help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Joeroc

sherrif wrote: »
    Hi, looking for advice/recommendation for an alarm system for a house that I will be moving into shortly. Currently there is a Phonewatch system installed but does not work properly & there are no cables to any openings so am going to replace it. Plan to install cables & system myself, I had worked on HKC systems in the past but some time has passed since then so would appreciate any views on latest systems available.
    Cheers

Hi you have currently the old phone watch system the new one does not require any wires is wireless technology is the best on the market and you no longer need a phone line if you message me I can put u in touch with a guy will get it fitted at cost price

• Advertisement

Joeroc wrote: »
    Hi you have currently the old phone watch system the new one does not require any wires is wireless technology is the best on the market and you no longer need a phone line if you message me I can put u in touch with a guy will get it fitted at cost price

Hi Joeroc,

Their old systems were wireless also. Most of PW system just consists of motion detectors stuck up in the corner. Which means that in order for their alarm to activate, an intruder would already have to have been inside the house. This system also allows the user to leave every window and door open and still be able to arm the alarm.

It would be best practice to place shock sensors and magnetic contacts on every available opening in order to minimise entry and also give indication to the user when they're going out that they left a window open.

Advertisement