Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for Working Holiday Round 2 - From Round 1 Applicants

Options
  • 13-03-2014 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

I see questions in the threads from people who missed out on round 1, how to better chances in round two. If there are any other round 1 applicants who have a confirmed place that wish to share tips, it would probably be appreciated.

My tips

1. Use the fastest internet available
    I went to a family member's house, where they have much faster broadband. When it comes down to seconds and minutes, faster helps.

2. Use Google Chrome internet browser
    I use Firefox normally (with add ons like ad block) but that slows it down. Download Chrome and test page load times. In my experience, Chrome is always faster.

3. Have several tabs open in the browser
    When the 8pm opening time comes up, have several login pages open. I logged in, noticed the site was not ready, had to log out. I simply clicked the next tab - with my email and password already typed in - and clicked enter.

4. Have your account set up before opening day
    For the first time for Irish applicants, we were able to set up our accounts when the first Irish visa opened - on Tuesday. Set up your account with as much detail as you can before opening day. When I logged in, I only had to click working holiday visa, email, password and submit. You don't want to start a fresh account at 8pm.

I got visa number 7.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

My WTN number is 200 something, so I was quite quick. My Internet is very fast, which I believe was crucial.

So as OP did, if you don't have really fast internet use a friends or family members.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

My number is 122 and I was very quick. Best tip is to have the kompass account created and all the information entered and tick complete on each section in advance of the opening date. Log in around 7.45 and refresh the page once every 3/4 minutes to avoid being auto logged out. Just after 8 refresh the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

My number is 122 and I was very quick. Best tip is to have the kompass account created and all the information entered and tick complete on each section in advance of the opening date. Log in around 7.45 and refresh the page once every 3/4 minutes to avoid being auto logged out. Just after 8 refresh the page.

im 5 places ahead of you ! really fast internet too here . and exactly refresh every few mintures before hand so you dont get logged out .

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭EireCelt

Hi, New to all this and applied for my visa through visafirst, rang them today and got told i'll know if I'm successful next week, what exactly are ye doing that im not?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

EireCelt wrote: »
    Hi, New to all this and applied for my visa through visafirst, rang them today and got told i'll know if I'm successful next week, what exactly are ye doing that im not?

We're applying ourselves and not paying third party companies to do something that we wouldn't trust them to do properly.

• Advertisement

Faith wrote: »
    We're applying ourselves and not paying third party companies to do something that we wouldn't trust them to do properly.

legally they cant apply for you any ways . serious waste of money as faith says .unless there using automated software which i doubt you hardly think the have say 200 people applying for everyone they take on ? doubt it!

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

I would love to know how many people payed a third party and still didn't get it.

Liam90 wrote: »
    I would love to know how many people payed a third party and still didn't get it.

allot id say !

• Registered Users Posts: 2 biking4life

Hi im new to this but i believe i had some helpful tips to obtaining your visa, I Got Visa number 12

1. Chrome is essential, its alot quicker than most browsers

2. multiple tabs open on the kompass log in page

3. Do NOT have any other active tabs like youtube as these will slow the overall internet down (or that is my take on it)

4. i monitored the iec website everyday since the start of January and when i realized the kompass had opened for other applications excluding IEC i had every detail finished and completed before the IEC was active, so when it appeared i could submit straight away

5. preparation in key, and make sure to read everything thoroughly before completing each section, not giving them a chance to refuse your application on the grounds of any misunderstandings such as "Americanized system of formatting dates etc.

hope this helps and good luck to everyone on the second round!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭john_jobin

I got visa 15. From watching the IEC videos on the internet I knew that you'd have to enter your password twice so I had my password copied to my clipboard ready to paste into the relevant box with a quick Ctrl+V

It's not much but I have a feeling that for round 2 every second is going to count so might help someone out.

Worked for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭SupraSonic_26

I made the first round but now need to upload my resume and passport photo, anyone know for the resume can I upload in word or does it have to be pdf, also I don't have a scanner I took a perfect clear picture with my phone can see all the details will this be ok does anyone know thanks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 biking4life

hi SupraSonic_26, as far as im aware the resume should be fine in word, or atleast i hope it will be as that is the format i have sent mine in, also as regards scanning your passport, if you have an IPHONE use an app called SCANNER PRO, it was free for a while there, makes brilliant quality scans using your phone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Well lads, Im no 53 so I think we may all be over thinking this.
    The best advice is to fill all the parts in now to be ready for it. Have all your email/password filled in then at 8 click log in.
    Then since all you will have left to do is select WHV which is now online and they will ask you to fill in some details, its really not hard, just make sure you have checked all your details correct so you dont waste time re-checking them before you hit submit

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭GerPower

can someone help me out here, I went through Visa First and paid my nonrefundable fee of €50 on the 12th to be considered for the first round as i thought this was the easiest way to get things done. Of course i missed the first round quota no surprises and then it takes them ages to send me out my Kompass details and i'm a little suspicious now that they only created my Kompass account today as its says (IEC Category Pending) everything else is completed.

It did take me two hours to get an answer and my login details off them as well so this makes me even more suspicious, If any of yous can shed some light on your experience and tell me how it went for yous as at the time i was unaware of the Kompass log in route.

hi SupraSonic_26, as far as im aware the resume should be fine in word, or atleast i hope it will be as that is the format i have sent mine in, also as regards scanning your passport, if you have an IPHONE use an app called SCANNER PRO, it was free for a while there, makes brilliant quality scans using your phone :)

it has to be in pdf i checked when i went to upload it, passport has to be scanned and uploaded by pdf aswell but can be done by phone as long as its very clear and everything readable when taken and uploaded, its 97 euro for the visa ive paid that just waiting se eif i get to the last round to do mycic work permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ck24

it has to be in pdf i checked when i went to upload it, passport has to be scanned and uploaded by pdf aswell but can be done by phone as long as its very clear and everything readable when taken and uploaded, its 97 euro for the visa ive paid that just waiting se eif i get to the last round to do mycic work permit.

It doesnt have to be pdf, where did you read that? There is a list of approved formats which include doc jpg bmp & pdf

i didnt see doc when i was reading the format its on the the bit where you go to uplaod your docs to them unless im gone blind ha, i saw jpg aswell for the phottos ect.

GerPower wrote: »
    can someone help me out here, I went through Visa First and paid my nonrefundable fee of €50 on the 12th to be considered for the first round as i thought this was the easiest way to get things done. Of course i missed the first round quota no surprises and then it takes them ages to send me out my Kompass details and i'm a little suspicious now that they only created my Kompass account today as its says (IEC Category Pending) everything else is completed.

It did take me two hours to get an answer and my login details off them as well so this makes me even more suspicious, If any of yous can shed some light on your experience and tell me how it went for yous as at the time i was unaware of the Kompass log in route.

So far I haven't heard of anyone who went through Visa First getting a place. Seems like they royally screwed ye over.

Just do it yourself at round 2. It's really not at all complicated, you just need to be quick!

is the 2nd for people who missed the first round? probably a dumb question?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

is the 2nd for people who missed the first round? probably a dumb question?

Them and anyone else who wants a visa. Round 2 will go just as fast!

• Advertisement

EI-DOR wrote: »
    Them and anyone else who wants a visa. Round 2 will go just as fast!

If not even faster. Not to worry anyone but now that everyone knows how fast they're going to go you can count on a LOT more people being extremely prepared than you had for Round 1.

On the other hand if Round 2 doesn't go your way, do your best to try find a job in Canada from a Job Expo or something and if your succesful apply for the Young Professionals category as barely any of them have been snapped up and there will be nowhere near as big a rush for them

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cannieannie

Does anyone have any idea when the 2nd Round will open up? Will it be days or months from now?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

Does anyone have any idea when the 2nd Round will open up? Will it be days or months from now?

Rumor is it opens on the 29th of March but nothing has been confirmed yet. Could run into April!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭bopper

• Police certificates issued within six months of application date are eligible for submission to Stage 2. (NOTE: this applies to all police certificates provided by Irish youth)

Since when? Isn't it three months?
    User cannot reply unless verified

has anyone got to mycic section or heard anything back after submitting their passport and cv cheers?

has anyone got to mycic section or heard anything back after submitting their passport and cv cheers?

Yes plenty of people have recieved their Conditional Acceptance Letters and have been passed on to the MyCIC stage. A few people have even already recieved their POE Letters and are free to start working in Canada.

The majority of people however are still waiting on recieving conditional acceptance after submitting the CV and Passport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

So does anyone know how they got on in round 2? Hopefully a few of them will have picked up some nice tips in here. :rolleyes:

I was prob one the last to get mine ha, so im a bit confused with the mycic section. Do i create an account first or do i answers the questions first then create the account and upload the info its a bit confusing in what order its to be done?

also does anyone know if there is a 2nd fee for mycic and how much cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭GerPower

Yeah i learned a lesson but by mistakes we learn and a lighter pocket €50 down, but i done it myself this time and i got it just paid and submitted everything today. Are you having problems opening the pdf messages in the inbox, mine wont open up all just says please wait and then no content appears.

Advertisement