Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Jap import

Options
  • 24-11-2007 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭

Hey everyone, just wondering if any of ye have Jap imports, or in particular Jap import Mitsubishis. Basically, i will be getting my first proper car soon (ie: first car i intend on keeping). Currently, i drive a 00 Lancer 1.3, full licence, 24 and have 1 years no claims. By the time i actually get around to organising getting this car i want, i will be 25 with 1 years full licence experince, and 2 years no claims (hopefully). I have a job that gives me a good discount on car insurance.

What i will be importing will be a 95/96 Eclipse 2.0, and i was hoping that ye could recommend dealers that could help me. I'm willing to travel, and i only want high quality.

So, have any of ye experience with import Mitsubishis? Or even Eclipse's?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Drive a few Eclipses first, my feeling is thast they're not as fun or good looking as the FTO or as useful as the GTO! I have an FTO GPX (MIVEC) myself and find there's great support in this country for spares, knowledge etc. Given that the Eclipse is much less popular over here, it'll make life a little tougher for you.
    I'd recommend WKD imports for sourcing you a clean one in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Aye, i wouldn't mind the FTO GPvR, but thing is that more people are buying them thus rising the insurance for me, so if i get a car that nobody has (and which you can't get an online quote for as it's not a selectable car) then it's possibly cheaper.

I'm basing this on the fact that soeone in the same situation as me can't insure a 1.8 Lancer GSR but can a 280bhp RWD Silvia...

I was certain I wanted a GPvR, then I drove one and found it wasn't noticably quicker than a GPX, and the removal of some of the sound deadening made it quite noisy in the cabin, I also didn't like that they stripped some of the spec as well, you lose the electric folding mirrors and the climate control, on the plus side you get HID's, red or blue seats, strut braces and a Limited slip diff. It's really a direct rival to the Integra Type R.
    The Eclipse is more American minded.

Insurance is a bit steep alright, I could insure a BMW 740i for the same money.

Thats my point, cars i like are too much to insure right now, so getting something unknown would be cheaper (hopefully, must ring around).

I'm also close to getting the 1.6 MIVEC lancer, my mate had one and it was a smashing practible car which was very quick! Either way, i'll be getting an import, more or less guaranteed good i've been told (good roads and drivers over there).

Depends on what you want out of a car, A lancer MIVEC is still a Lancer at the end of the day, It wouldnt excite me.

(not suggesting for a minute that the Lancer is a bad car, just to save someone replying with reference to Evo's)

• Advertisement

Understandable, but i honestly think that all Mitsubishis are teh sex! Alsways wanted to drive them, always will want to drive them, and someday i'll have the 06 Eclipse done up like i have it in Need For Speed: Most Wanted! :D

Dream the dream man. Go for the car you want rather than what's convenient. It'll be worth it every time you drive it!

Thats what i say! Pity i can't get the missus around it, going to be a big fight when i get the car! Ah well, i'd pick the car first! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Where will you be importing one from - Latvia?

You do know the eclipses only come in Left Hand Drive dont you?

Don't mind if they do, all the one to me once i'm driving the car i want!

• Advertisement

C_Breeze wrote: »
    Where will you be importing one from - Latvia?

You do know the eclipses only come in Left Hand Drive dont you?

Saw a gorgeous Polish? reg one in Blanchardstown last night. was the newer shape though.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Saw a gorgeous Polish? reg one in Blanchardstown last night. was the newer shape though.

A polish reg car in blanchardstown!! Now ive seen it all :eek: [/sarcasm]

Is it a turbo you'll be going for??... if not they are all woefully slow! made for americans.

The 2L Turbo GSX is the one to go for. Have you actually ever sat in one or drove one? - I have in the states, a 2.4 4cyl - i was very disappointed, wouldnt pull the socks off your feet. (although it was the newer model)

To be honest, i'm not specifically looking for speed, as there's very few roads you could speed on without being caught. I'm more of a looks guy, and i believe that people should see a beautiful car in all it's beauty, and not in a blur as it passes you. So, don't really mind if it goes slow. that said, i will NEVER drive a 1L...

well in that case, if you think you can live with a LHD as an everyday car, then go for it!

I wouldn't buy it on looks
    800px-Wiki_cars1_012.jpg

An FTO is much nicer in my (biassed) opinion
    album_pic.php?pic_id=817

Biased indeed it is! Each to their own, but i've wanted an eclipse since i've been driving. just something about them strikes me!

I just think the headlights are all wrong, like they were copied from the Colt at the last minute!
    6106.gif
    6104.gif
    "Ah, sure these'll do!"

I think they go with the rest of the car, all curved and what not. I'm not huge into my cars, so unless the lights were astonishingly fugly then i won't have a problem.

Nice!

that one you linked to looks quite well. Aftermarket headlamps?

Standard 98 model i believe, just shiney! It's possible they make be smoked.

another but not so shiney.

• Advertisement

The smoked lights (and bodykit) are for the GSX Turbo model.
    - Much better engine and subtle styling improvements make it an overall better car , thats why i recommended it over the regular version.

Also probably not worth pointing out, but with regard to your chosen title "Jap import" ... these cars were never made for japan and were never sold in japan!

They are USDM (American domestic market) so maybe it should be american import as opposed to jap import ;) - thats why I asked whether you were even aware that these come only in Left Hand Drive

Ya learn something new everyday!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

C_Breeze wrote: »
    Also probably not worth pointing out, but with regard to your chosen title "Jap import" ... these cars were never made for japan and were never sold in japan!
    They were sold in Japan! Look at any Japanese import website and you'll see loads of them. They were still built in the US though, they're all LHD and they only sold the first two generations there (i.e. up until '99).

You'd be better off buying a Japanese model as the lights would be legal here (US use different standards because they're silly).

They were sold in Japan!

No they werent :)

Yes they were! Why would I make up such a thing?

What is this? http://www.japaneseusedcars.com/auction/tuesday/detail_mitsubishi-IDno-20358957.html

There are also 14 Eclipses and 6 Eclipse Spiders for sale in the "fixed price" sales on that website. There are many US cars officially sold in Japan (much more than here), including actual American brands.

Yes they were! Why would I make up such a thing?

What is this? http://www.japaneseusedcars.com/auction/tuesday/detail_mitsubishi-IDno-20358957.html

There are also 14 Eclipses and 6 Eclipse Spiders for sale in the "fixed price" sales on that website. There are many US cars officially sold in Japan (much more than here), including actual American brands.

No they werent. Just because they come from japan doesnt mean they were sold there. Why would they sell a LHD car in japan. - Yes, They were available in japan (they were imported from the usa) but NO - they were never sold in a mitsubishi dealer from new in japan.

If you go to england and buy a nissan skyline, for example, it is still a japanese import NOT a UK import.

Similarly - the eclipse is a USA import not a JAP import.!

I guess you haven't noticed that the Japanese are mental? Look at many European and US cars sold there (BMWs, Alfas etc) - a lot of them are LHD (esp. the fancy stuff). Foreign cars with the wheel on the wrong side are considered more "authentic" or something. LHD Eclipses were officially sold in Japan by Mitsubishi Motors - FACT.
    If you go to england and buy a nissan skyline, for example, it is still a japanese import NOT a UK import.
    Nissan were officially importing R34 GT-Rs for a short period around 1999/2000.

Advertisement