Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Chelsea, FA Cup Final, May 05, 17:15, Wembley Stadium

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Lol, the poster afraid to post during the match is back.

Don't go there, for the sakes of all of our sanities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,543 ✭✭✭✭CSF

So it is okay not to have the same rules for all of football, nahh, am not having that. Any team in Ireland can end up playing against a top flight team in the cup, does that mean that they should have to play different rules when they come up against the big boys? You are now espousing different rules in different levels of football, which seems to be the opposite of your original assertion.

What different rules would an Intermediate club have to go up against?

No I think I've been very clear, I'm not in favour of changing football to pander to the TV generation, its been fine upto now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,933 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Aquila wrote: »
    Eh?I was in the pub watching the game?:confused:
    Barstooler:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I'm glad Liverpool didn't win cos I hate seeing them win things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Eh?I was in the pub watching the game?:confused:

Me too but i bet your beers taste better than mine right now.....well done chelsea.....i just wish liverpool played andy carroll from the start.

Anyone else sense from Kenny's interview there that he may walk at the end of the season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Solid contribution. I feel the same way about your team.... who are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

CSF wrote: »
    Anyone else sense from Kenny's interview there that he may walk at the end of the season?

He could do worse...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

What different rules would an Intermediate club have to go up against?

No I think I've been very clear, I'm not in favour of changing football to pander to the TV generation, its been fine upto now.
    Stopping the game to check if the ball crossed the line for a start.

No, it hasn't there have been controversies like this for ages and they are always talked about. Football has changed and rules have been introduced to pander to the TV generation (whatever that is, they had TVs in 66 and everyone was talking about the Russian linesman and two years ago England got a goal that should have stood and farther back the Spurs goal on Carroll). They got rid of the backpass because it was spoiling the game. They changed the offside rule because of the way that it slowed the game down. If there are things that are wrong in the game then they should be addressed and if it is a change to the rules that fixes it then so be it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I laughed at this.

I am coming on now for a double/hatrick. Be warned.

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. So close.

Enjoy it Chelsea fans, have a good night.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

That_Guy wrote: »
    I laughed at this.

Good for you.

Yea, like this

pushing-to-become-better_blog1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Good for you.

It was good for me. Provided me with a loltastic moment that I shall treasure forever.

Stopping the game to check if the ball crossed the line for a start.

No, it hasn't there have been controversies like this for ages and they are always talked about. Football has changed and rules have been introduced to pander to the TV generation (whatever that is, they had TVs in 66 and everyone was talking about the Russian linesman and two years ago England got a goal that should have stood and farther back the Spurs goal on Carroll). They got rid of the backpass because it was spoiling the game. They changed the offside rule because of the way that it slowed the game down. If there are things that are wrong in the game then they should be addressed and if it is a change to the rules that fixes it then so be it.

Those were positive changes that could be implemented from top to bottom and needed to be made. Necessary changes, not for vanity purposes. Goalline technology adds nothing to the spectacle of the game and if anything will slow it down, particularly if it is to be implemented everywhere (the Croatian League won't be able to afford what the Premiership can in terms of technology). Football should have a referee and 2 linesmen who do their best to get things right. When the ref gets it wrong you rant and rave, and then get on with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Arra feck, I do not want my 10thousandth post to remind me of losing in the Final. Am off to PI for some therapy or some such. Are we allowed to call people names over there?

Arra feck, I do not want my 10thousandth post to remind me of losing in the Final. Am off to PI for some therapy or some such. Are we allowed to call people names over there?

Thunderdome if it still exists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Poor Andy has taken this badly

• Advertisement

Those were positive changes that could be implemented from top to bottom and needed to be made. Necessary changes, not for vanity purposes. Goalline technology adds nothing to the spectacle of the game and if anything will slow it down, particularly if it is to be implemented everywhere (the Croatian League won't be able to afford what the Premiership can in terms of technology). Football should have a referee and 2 linesmen who do their best to get things right. When the ref gets it wrong you rant and rave, and then get on with it.

Common misconception.

G.K. wrote: »
    Common misconception.

Not really, I know that at the highest level, you can produce that sort of technology, but I can't imagine it is affordable over 38 games for 20 teams in countless countries, in about 3 leagues per country. Somewhere down the line the quality would surely drop?

Poor Andy has taken this badly
    Not really, I know that at the highest level, you can produce that sort of technology, but I can't imagine it is affordable over 38 games for 20 teams in countless countries, in about 3 leagues per country. Somewhere down the line the quality would surely drop?

So do it for the top league. The one that has 80% of the money and 80% of the viewers.

There's only going to be 1 or 2 approved systems. Hawkeye or GoalRef. Both of these, as one of the criteria of the IFAB trial is that the system tells the ref instantly if the ball crosses the line.

There's not going to be a sliding scale of quality systems. It'll be the one or two systems or nowt. In no way will this slow down the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

I accept abuse via PM.

So do it for the top league. The one that has 80% of the money and 80% of the viewers.
    Sums you up as a football supporter tbh.

• Advertisement

G.K. wrote: »
    There's only going to be 1 or 2 approved systems. Hawkeye or GoalRef. Both of these, as one of the criteria of the IFAB trial is that the system tells the ref instantly if the ball crosses the line.

There's not going to be a sliding scale of quality systems. It'll be the one or two systems or nowt. In no way will this slow down the game.

Should be nowt then. I'm sick of football as a sport having to be carried kicking and screaming by the financial interests of a small number of clubs.

Do you have any salient points to make?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

akashi_ohhhhh-tusjii.jpg

Do you have any salient points to make?

Yes, I just made them. You not agreeing with them is not what I'd consider a metre of how I should judge my opinions.

Yes, I just made them. You not agreeing with them is not what I'd consider a metre of how I should judge my opinions.

Unlucky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

donfers wrote: »
    "clearly not over the line" - what utter garbage, at best it was inconclusive

personally i think when the ball was in midair at it farthest point it was over the line, let's just wait and see what the tech experts say, the truth may come out when they do more detailed analysis on it

the difficulty is in measuring if the all the ball is over all the line when it is in mid-air and especially when the bar is blocking the best photo angle available

I said "any non liverpool fan" ;).

It's funny, they show every angle on telly and it's obviously not across the line, they show a computer reconstruction "hawk eye" style where you can see it didn't cross, but some people must be looking at something completely different. There's no debate.
    (99% of people reckon it's not a goal, just aimed at the 1%ers)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

PLEASE! keep hating us Niallo, the more you hate the more we win ;)

Heres hoping you really really really really hate us after the CL final! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

PLEASE! keep hating us Niallo, the more you hate the more we win ;)

Heres hoping you really really really really hate us after the CL final! :D

Ah I like you pepper your a good poster, I don't like your club though, nothing personal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

niallo27 wrote: »
    Ah I like you pepper your a good poster, I don't like your club though, nothing personal.

Actually, you are a true to yourself poster, so I respect you for that.
    I suspect most people want to post what you do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Enjoyed the match. Liverpool didnt look in it until Andy Carroll came on, terrific performance from him, he busted his arse to get on the end of everything and was so unlucky, his first was a cracking finish and he nearly got the 2nd aswell which would have forced Extra Time where Pool surely would have won as Chelsea were out on their feet from 75mins on. Credit to Chelsea for seeing it out, but oh my god what a save from Petr Cech, he had absolutely no right to keep that ball out of the net. I have doubted Cech in recent seasons and with some justification, but this year he has been absolutely brilliant between the sticks, and has been the difference maker when Chelsea needed him most. As I said, great game for the neutral, unlucky Liverpool, great effort to try and get back into it, and congratulations to Chelsea, their ridiculous success in the FA Cup continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

jive wrote: »
    Yeah but another few inches might have made him think it was more likely to be over the line than not based on the trajectory it came out from cech's hand. You give the benefit of the doubt to the defending team when it comes to the ball going over the line, the offside rule is where you give the benefit of the doubt of the attacking team (general rule of thumb, obviously).

It's a professional game with hundreds of millions of pounds being won and lost by various clubs. Giving the benefit of the doubt in this day and age based on one guy 40 yards away in real time making an instant decision doesnt cut it anymore.

FWIW, I don't think goalline technology is a good idea. Football should be the same sport, with the same rules from the Premiership to the Slovak Second Division.

But it isnt the same at all levels (I'm assumeing your using the slovak 2nd division as some sort of indicator of a crap level) . The further down you go you start losing the linesman for a start. Sure even the Champions league at the minute has the extra officials being the goal that the premier league doesnt have.

They are playing with balls worth a couple of hundred each (if you've ever played with the official match balls, they are different) at the top level. Everythign from havign 40,000+ crowds to professional nutritinists and pitches like snooker tables and lines that are actually straight and measured means theres a world of difference between the top and bottom levels of football. They are usings replays to recind red cards and the like. Another thing thats not available at lower levels.

It's a professional game with hundreds of millions of pounds being won and lost by various clubs. Giving the benefit of the doubt in this day and age based on one guy 40 yards away in real time making an instant decision doesnt cut it anymore.

I agree, not sure how that matters today though as there's no system in place as yet. Write a letter to FIFA.

jive wrote: »
    I agree, not sure how that matters today though as there's no system in place as yet. Write a letter to FIFA.

It matters today as much as it mattered in the last world cup with Lampards goal against Germany and a few years back again for Carrolls "save " against spurs. Nothing wrong with talking about it and if everyone said nothing and played wait and see with FIFA we'll still be talking about it on the 100th anniversary of 1966.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Chelsea were by far the better side for the first 65 mins. I think at that stage it looked like Mikel, Ramires, Lampard, Mata and Drogba all ran out of steam and of course Liverpool got great encouragement from Carroll's goal. Credit to Liverpool for giving it all at the end but Chelsea most certainly deserved the win overall. Congratulations to them and best of luck in the CL final.

• Advertisement

It matters today as much as it mattered in the last world cup with Lampards goal against Germany and a few years back again for Carrolls "save " against spurs. Nothing wrong with talking about it and if everyone said nothing and played wait and see with FIFA we'll still be talking about it on the 100th anniversary of 1966.

It doesn't though because it's not relevant. There was no goal line technology at Wembley today. If you care about it, write to FIFA. Posting in this thread doesn't have any effect. You're not discussing what happened in the match you're discussing the need for goal line technology. It's a completely seperate subject. I agree there is a need for goal line technology but it's a work in progress and there is a general agreement amongst professionals that there is a need for it and it is simply a matter of time before it's implemented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

But it isnt the same at all levels (I'm assumeing your using the slovak 2nd division as some sort of indicator of a crap level) . The further down you go you start losing the linesman for a start. Sure even the Champions league at the minute has the extra officials being the goal that the premier league doesnt have.

They are playing with balls worth a couple of hundred each (if you've ever played with the official match balls, they are different) at the top level. Everythign from havign 40,000+ crowds to professional nutritinists and pitches like snooker tables and lines that are actually straight and measured means theres a world of difference between the top and bottom levels of football. They are usings replays to recind red cards and the like. Another thing thats not available at lower levels.

Spot on. Go down low enough and there'll be no nets or corner flags. Sure even refs have to qualify to get to the premiership, and get "relegated" if they're not good enough. The higher the level, the better the ref

FWIW, I don't think goalline technology is a good idea. Football should be the same sport, with the same rules from the Premiership to the Slovak Second Division.

Just because such a thing exists, doesn't mean I agree with them. And just because certain measures exist doesn't mean I shouldn't disagree with even more measures being implemented.

There is very little one can do about amateur football (for fun) because by insisting on such things you're pushing many people out of playing the sport.

But you won't see a semi-professional upwards game without a linesman and you shouldn't have pitches that don't subscribe to regulations. The referees/officials should be insistent on that and from my experience of a semi-pro league, they do.

Actually, you are a true to yourself poster, so I respect you for that.
    I suspect most people want to post what you do
    Lads, get a room. There might be kids reading this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

article-2140048-12F10AAB000005DC-12_634x393.jpg
    Di Matteo on top of the world!:)

RDM clearly still has some unresolved trust issues with his players.

In time it will look more like Pep.

Pep-Guardiola_Bumps.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Man are you stalking me, every where I post your there with a reply, im pissed off, get the **** over it

It doesn't matter how pissed off you are, it's not an excuse to talk absolute bull****. You're the only poster here (of either club) to try claim Liverpool were the better team. Credit to the other Liverpool fans here who have the cop on to acknowledge the better team won. It's one thing supporting your team, it's another to talk crap, being blinded by that support.

A little objectivity wouldn't go astray.

On a footballing note; good win for Chelsea, they should have closed out the game after 2-0 as Liverpool hadn't even shown up. Credit to Carroll, he was the only player in a red jersey to make an effort. Also the ball didn't cross the line for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,824 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

delighted with the result, also lovely to see the fella that was singing (no sound on so I genuinely can't tell you who it was) beforehand wearing a Beastie Boys Teeshirt.
    Good times lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Well done Chelsea.

Best team won hands down.

• Advertisement

Advertisement